Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kicked out of FSD Beta on Highway 17 - Super frustrated with driver monitoring software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
10.5-10.9 were better
I meant which release are you on?
Why would Tesla ignore the input from my scroll wheels as driver input sometimes and other times the nags recognize this as engagement?

My guess is that is because they want to see wheel torque, which makes sense in many scenarios (arguably all scenarios). Seems pretty logical.

It seems like they should add another nag “please apply slight torque or other wheel input” in cases where that is adequate, to avoid confusion.

Last edited:
I am confused. When driving on Highway 17, is FSD in the Original AP code for Highway or the new City Autosteer Beta code?
It is a mixture of both depending on whether you are in the limited access portion or not.

The limited access portion (regular on- and off-ramps) uses the highway code and this works much better. The mountainous portion that I am complaining about uses the City Autosteer code, as there are driveways and other controlled intersections along this highway.

You engaged FSD on highway 17? 🤨

Well, there you go. That particular road is not where this ADAS feature shines, despite what some here will tell you.
I tried my EAP just yesterday and had to take over as soon as the curves got very tight. The EAP was way too slow to take them. In the middle, there is a section where road construction is going on, with confusing lane markers. The EAP just gives up there. I really don’t believe those claim that highway 17 was motored without any intervention from the driver when driving their Tesla with ADAS. Especially when it just gives up in the middle where there is construction on a very tight curve in the road.

To those not familiar with Silicon Valley : Its a tight winding 4 lane mountainous road connecting Silicon Valley south to the beach city of Santa Cruz over the mountains.
I literally use it 6 days a week on the 17, both ways. as long as your speed isnt set to more than 3-5MPH above the speed limit, it shines. if you are going/set to 60, it has to slow down too much every turn which makes it be all over the place.

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot
I literally use it 6 days a week on the 17, both ways. as long as your speed isnt set to more than 3-5MPH above the speed limit, it shines. if you are going/set to 60, it has to slow down too much every turn which makes it be all over the place.
I guess our definition of working is different or our experience is. Even set to 55, the car sometimes slows down to 42 which is not a failure per se, but not exactly a rousing success either. I used to allow it to drive me home 5 days a week and some mornings on the way in, when it was more reliable.

A few months ago I was the one thinking FSDb worked great over highway 17 and others had a different experience. It is interesting that different users' experience is so different.

I guess our definition of working is different or our experience is. Even set to 55, the car sometimes slows down to 42 which is not a failure per se, but not exactly a rousing success either. I used to allow it to drive me home 5 days a week and some mornings on the way in, when it was more reliable.

A few months ago I was the one thinking FSDb worked great over highway 17 and others had a different experience. It is interesting that different users' experience is so different.
it is interesting. it never goes lower than 48 for me, which is acceptable on the turns it does. it generally hovers around 52-53 on the sharper curves, and does 55 on more than half.

How are your artificial hands on the steering wheel to keep AP nag happy working out? Taking good naps on the way? Didn’t you admit you pressed the accelerator on tight curves the previous time?

Let us also know how your car alone handles situations like the construction zone in the middle near the summit. The lane markers are so screwed up there, even a human will take a second to handle the multiple lane markers and close proximity concrete barriers. My EAP says to take over immediately after loud beeps.

Maybe you have a superTesla. 😁

Last edited:
It seems like it would be so easy for Tesla to defeat such a weight device, as it behaves so much differently than a human. Hopefully they'll do it soon. They changed things a bit in 10.69 so maybe they're working on it.

It’s an arms race. Every time you think you have outsmarted the human, the human will find another way to kill or injure self, and others.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
It’s an arms race. Every time you think you have outsmarted the human, the human will find another way to kill or injure self, and others.
For sure, escapes will keep happening. But the low-hanging fruit would be to do things that have no impact on people paying attention, and quickly knock out the simple defeat devices and force them to be more sophisticated.

I have also noticed this behavior where mirages seem to produce phantom braking.

Glad I have an antique car without the camera.

My theory is that the road simulation software to generate training data doesn't have any mirages and there are insufficient real world training examples.

Those would be quite difficult to simulate sufficiently accurately to work in a neural network---i.e. it could detect and rule out simulated mirages but not the real thing. Normal computer graphics scene generation can't do it. It would be very difficult: requiring basic science simulation of turbulent, convective fluid flow and heat transfer, then apply that to optics.

I rarely see anything like this in California---and the roads are always so crowded in the daytime that there are always sufficient vehicles to ground the interpretation of what's ahead.

My theory is that the road simulation software to generate training data doesn't have any mirages and there are insufficient real world training examples.

Those would be quite difficult to simulate sufficiently accurately to work in a neural network---i.e. it could detect and rule out simulated mirages but not the real thing. Normal computer graphics scene generation can't do it. It would be very difficult: requiring basic science simulation of turbulent, convective fluid flow and heat transfer, then apply that to optics.

I rarely see anything like this in California---and the roads are always so crowded in the daytime that there are always sufficient vehicles to ground the interpretation of what's ahead.
With 100,000 test cars, there should no problem getting plenty of mirage videos. Any low-traffic flat or slightly undulating road will produce them on a hot day. Where you live, you may need to find rural roads to see them. Crowded interstates don't work because the traffic blocks the reflection point.

it is interesting. it never goes lower than 48 for me, which is acceptable on the turns it does. it generally hovers around 52-53 on the sharper curves, and does 55 on more than half.
I have FSDb back with the latest update and I have to say I am impressed. I have had 4 in a row no intervention drives over the last 2 commutes to mountain view and back. Granted the morning commute is light at 6 AM. I have used only 55 mph as the maximum for anything windy, and it helps somewhat.

The only thing I am intervening for is speed changes now, and highway 17 is not any better than it was. In fact maybe it is worse as FSDb regularly slows down to 40 mph and even hit 38 mph yesterday on the way home.

Still in so many other areas it is getting pretty good so I have to say I am impressed. I can't however imagine how you manage "hovers at 52-53" unless there is something drastically different here. Is your experience with speed still the same with your daily commute with the newest update 10.69.2?

Reactions: Cheburashka