Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kind of got screwed by my Electrician. Need Advice...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need some advice.

I had the Electrical outlet for my coming Tesla installed yesterday by a local firm. They did a horrible job. There's a gap the size of my finger next to the cut-in box because they cut the hole too big. They put the plug in upside down and they didn't install it where I asked them to, although there was room to do so. They used the wrong gauge wire (supposed to be 6-3 for 50 Amp Breaker). They mistakenly thought the Breaker was supposed to be a 40 Amp so they used 8-3. They also installed a 40 Amp Breaker instead of a 50. They charged me $900.00.

My wife already gave them a check for the work. I'm not really wanting them to come back, but I also don't think I should have to fix the screw ups and re-run a new wire of the correct gauge. This is why I do most of my work on my home myself... What would you do in my situation. :(

It's too late now, but I would have had them spec out the job thoroughly beforehand. Unless you have something in writing that shows they didn't do what you wanted, you don't really have a leg to stand on. You can ask them to re-do the work, but IMO, they are very unlikely to do it.

If they don't agree to fix it, then you have a choice to spend more money to have it fixed or to charge at the lower amperage.

Situations like this, I would stop payment on the check and demand what you paid for. Mycroft has some good points, but negotiation is in order here, and if they don't have your money, you are in a much stronger position. Put them on notice immediately, in writing.

barey sorry to hear about this. I would highly suggest going to Yelp and find the highest rated electricians, call all three and explain that you need a bad job fixed and what would they charge. Which ever you choose, do not let them do anything until you have gone over everything, and have in writing what is expected and the price.

As to the other electrician, I'd let them know you would like you money back (which I know they won't, or some portion of it). Then I would leave a bad review for them on Yelp and file a complaint with your State electrical licensing board.

Dumb question, but did you call the electrician (the owner) and try and resolve it? Around here (California), that work would need a permit and i the installation varies that much for the submitted plan, then it will fail the inspection.

I guess options would include stop payment, small claims court and the BBB.

Good luck,

Omar

There's a gap the size of my finger next to the cut-in box because they cut the hole too big.

There is a gap exposed when the coverplate is added? That's basic finish work; if there's no gap with the cover plate added, you should be ok. You can order larger cover plates or use spackle/putty to fill it and finish accordingly.

They put the plug in upside down and they didn't install it where I asked them to, although there was room to do so.

It's easy enough to turn the outlet around, I'd call them out and tell them that you asked for it to be mounted ground-up. As for where they installed it, you could press it if you want to, or you could accept it. They'd be likely to move it for you and leave you with the finish work to clean up the old cut-out (cover-plates, etc.)

They used the wrong gauge wire (supposed to be 6-3 for 50 Amp Breaker). They mistakenly thought the Breaker was supposed to be a 40 Amp so they used 8-3. They also installed a 40 Amp Breaker instead of a 50.

If they used conduit, #8 is sufficient but since you called out 8-3, I'm assuming it was done using NM-B cable (Romex) in which case they made an assumption and it'll have to be replaced. Do you recall what you told them? I tell people to tell electricians that they need a 50A circuit, don't mention the charging level because they don't know NEC 625 enough that car charging must be considered a continuous loads. Most electricians don't work with continuous load rules all that often, so it helps to lead with the 50A need.

My wife already gave them a check for the work. I'm not really wanting them to come back, but I also don't think I should have to fix the screw ups and re-run a new wire of the correct gauge. This is why I do most of my work on my home myself... What would you do in my situation. :(

I would ask them to come back and let them know that it wasn't what you expected. Otherwise, they'll never know what they did wrong and even next time, they'd likely screw up another customer.

I would first contact the owner and see if he/she is willing to correct the mistakes. If you get no love there, I might file a complaint with your state board of contractors, assuming your contractor was properly licensed in the first place. That kind of sloppy work would never pass a code inspection, and most contractors hate to field complaints filed with the state. At least here in Arizona, contractors will bend over backward to avoid having a complaint filed against their licenses.

I would also stop payment on that check and have another, experience professional fix the screw up.

Last edited:
There is something to be said for calling them up and asking them to fix their mistakes first, and giving them a chance to make it right.

Too many times nowadays I see the first reaction is to run to some governing agency or to post negative reviews. I hear from many contractors that they weren't ever given the chance to make it right themselves. Sure, there are some idiots out there who will try to charge you to fix their mistakes, or who will tell you it's your fault, *then* you have the right to escalate it. But at least give them a chance to correct their mistakes or wrong assumptions. Many *will* do it at their cost.

If it didn't already... certainly provide the NEMA 14-50 guide from Tesla. That should set a baseline for the wiring. Electricians have to follow the NEC (National Electrical Code), and the NEC indicates that the wiring has to be compliant with manufacturers requirement. This works for the HPWC, and while not specifically for the 14-50, you would have a colorable argument if you provided the mfg spec.

I took the advice and I called the owner of the company and he was outraged to say the least. He seems almost more upset than I am. Which I have to say, made me feel better. He said his company installed the Charging Outlet for JB Straubel (Tesla Co-founder) and that he was absolutely mortified to hear about all the screw ups on the job. He said his reputation within the Tesla community is vital to his business.

He is here right now with 4 guys and they are pulling a brand new 6-3 cable. In fact, the owner himself is up in my attic doing some of the pulling. He also brought a Sheetrock guy with him and they are going to fix the sheetrock. He said the guy who did my job was probably going to be suspended. As a business owner I sympathize with him and based on his reaction, I do feel like this probably doesn't represent the type of work they normally do. He said he usually uses Reuben to do the installs for EV owners, and I advised him that it would be a good idea to continue that in the future and not take any chances as we all talk to each other and word travels quickly.

So not sure what to do now. I feel like they are doing their best to make it right. I just hope there isn't anyone out there with the wrong Breaker and Cable in their installation. Do I warn people about them or give them the benefit of the doubt that this was just the perfect storm of screw-ups and is a fluke?

Sounds like they are making it right. Since the owner is that concerned, maybe he'll go back and check the work of the installer that worked on your place to see if he did other work like that. Could suggest that to him. Good resolution I think.

I took the advice and I called the owner of the company and he was outraged to say the least. He seems almost more upset than I am. Which I have to say, made me feel better. He said his company installed the Charging Outlet for JB Straubel (Tesla Co-founder) and that he was absolutely mortified to hear about all the screw ups on the job. He said his reputation within the Tesla community is vital to his business.

He is here right now with 4 guys and they are pulling a brand new 6-3 cable. In fact, the owner himself is up in my attic doing some of the pulling. He also brought a Sheetrock guy with him and they are going to fix the sheetrock. He said the guy who did my job was probably going to be suspended. As a business owner I sympathize with him and based on his reaction, I do feel like this probably doesn't represent the type of work they normally do. He said he usually uses Reuben to do the installs for EV owners, and I advised him that it would be a good idea to continue that in the future and not take any chances as we all talk to each other and word travels quickly.

So not sure what to do now. I feel like they are doing their best to make it right. I just hope there isn't anyone out there with the wrong Breaker and Cable in their installation. Do I warn people about them or give them the benefit of the doubt that this was just the perfect storm of screw-ups and is a fluke?

That's great barey! Sounds like a good company and should post who they are after they are completed, as I'd use them if I were in your area (based upon how quickly they solved this issue).