Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Knoxville supercharger - where

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just pulled up with 11% left on my way from Atlanta to Indiana, and sitting at the O'Charley's across the parking lot while she fills back up. I saw a Leaf pull up and take pictures afterwards; I have a feeling my Nimbus is about to be a minor celebrity on this thread. :D

Awesome! Snap a few pictures of your car charging and post for us all to see:). I'm glad this site is open. The north-south route is great. ... Soon 81 northeastward will open>> that's the route out of Knoxville that will ease easterly travel along with the soon to be completed I-40 corridor westward to OKC. Key locations to year round east-west travel. Knoxville the sweetspot ..NSEW!

Last edited:
Just pulled up with 11% left on my way from Atlanta to Indiana, and sitting at the O'Charley's across the parking lot while she fills back up. I saw a Leaf pull up and take pictures afterwards; I have a feeling my Nimbus is about to be a minor celebrity on this thread. :D

You were the first Tesla I've seen charge there but we do know someone else did it earlier in the week.
20150529_115224.jpg
20150529_115229.jpg
20150529_115527.jpg
20150529_115532.jpg

I heard the fan(s) ramping up as the supercharger heated up the pack. I could easily hear them from 50 feet away. I've mentioned the cooling during supercharging before on the Nissan or Toyota sites and people would deny its existence. I'm not sure if they have never been there for a supercharging session, was there to see supercharging when it is quiet, or if they have just never been around a Tesla doing a serious supercharging session where the fan(s) ramp up.

Also the meter was cycling through A, B, and C.

A said 6 kWh
B said 2.005 kWh
C wasn't used.

We don't have time of use charges for residential here in TN. Not sure if commercial has more than one rate? I don't think there was any kind of battery pack inside the equipment area and I didn't see any solar PV so i'm pretty sure it isn't showing an renewable power source. The meter is labeled LCUB but I suppose it could be something like KUB on one input and LCUB on another?

I heard the fan(s) ramping up as the supercharger heated up the pack. I could easily hear them from 50 feet away. I've mentioned the cooling during supercharging before on the Nissan or Toyota sites and people would deny its existence. I'm not sure if they have never been there for a supercharging session, was there to see supercharging when it is quiet, or if they have just never been around a Tesla doing a serious supercharging session where the fan(s) ramp up.

A said 6 kWh
B said 2.005 kWh
C wasn't used.

We don't have time of use charges for residential here in TN. Not sure if commercial has more than one rate? I don't think there was any kind of battery pack inside the equipment area and I didn't see any solar PV so i'm pretty sure it isn't showing an renewable power source. The meter is labeled LCUB but I suppose it could be something like KUB on one input and LCUB on another?

I was at a Nissan dealership today and looked at their meter, It was firmly in KUB territory no where near LCUB and it also was doing the A / B counts. A was something like 584600 or some simarly large number and B was something smaller but well above the numbers I saw at the supercharger.

Electric Rate Schedules (KUB)
LCUB Electric Department- Electric Service Rate Schedule

apparently if you use enough power they let you have more at a lower rate. Assuming I'm not just too tired to read this rate schedule. I honestly have no idea which rates would apply for Tesla here.

I've looked at several meters at supercharging stations and not once have I been able to spot something that seems like a "total kWh used" counter. I'm not sure if that sort of thing is just not standard when you get into 3-phase meters or if there's some other reason for it.

A said 6 kWh
B said 2.005 kWh
C wasn't used.

Stopped by to today to check the meter for consumption.

A said 101 kWh
B said 3.795 kWh
C wasn't used

oh and the sticker below says multiply by 40 VTR :1 CT200:5 PKh

not sure what that means exactly but it is counting up as people come and charge.

Stopped by to today to check the meter for consumption.

A said 101 kWh
B said 3.795 kWh
C wasn't used

oh and the sticker below says multiply by 40 VTR :1 CT200:5 PKh

not sure what that means exactly but it is counting up as people come and charge.

Most higher power Current Transformer (CT) meters have some sort of multiplier; you multiply the meter reading the meter readings by the factor. So if we use your example, then the energy used on A between the two readings is (101-6)*40 = 3,800 kWh. That is about 100 typical Supercharges.

Most commercial accounts in the U.S. get charged on Energy used (kWh) as well as a demand charge (kW). The demand charge is supposed to pay a fair share of infrastructure to support peak use of electricity. It is usually the average power used in the peak 15 min period of the billing cycle. My guess is that B is a demand metric and is in kW and not kWh. 3.795*40 = 151.8 kW. For a lightly used Supercharger with one or two cars normally, and rarely having multiple cars charging at near 0 SoC, this is a plausible demand reading.

If you look at Electric Rate Schedules - Knoxville Utilites Board, my guess is that the Supercharger in in rate schedule GSA-2. That means Tesla is paying $12.26 per peak kW over 50 kW, and $0.11371 per kWh up to 15,000 kWh and $0.06137 per kWh for additional kWh. If your difference readings were for a month, I would calculate an electric bill of (152-50)*12.26 + 3,800*0.11371 + 50 = 1,250.52+432.10+50 = $1,732.62. As you can see the biggest component is the demand charge; with or without solar, you can see why Tesla is working on local energy storage to reduce demand charges. Also, if we assume 100 charges, that is about $17 per charge that Tesla paid.

Remember that the utility meter is reading AC usage by the site. Superchargers are about 90% efficient, so about 90% of that goes into the car.

• Informative
Reactions: callmesam
Something like this could cause minor havoc on a trip. The good news is that there are some other semi-fast options (CHAdeMO & J1772 @ Cracker Barrel, CHAdeMO @ EZ Stop) nearby so if they're available then you're at least not completely stuck and can hopefully charge in 3 - 8 hours. A big delay but not as bad as it could be. And then there's the problem of how many peach cobblers you eat at Cracker Barrel while waiting to charge.

Fortunately Supercharger reliability has been quite good. Not good enough though (this case in point) as we move beyond early adopters and fast followers in to the general population. For now it's perhaps OK to say that they're consumed by Mathew problems though Knoxville was down beforehand.

Something like this could cause minor havoc on a trip. The good news is that there are some other semi-fast options (CHAdeMO & J1772 @ Cracker Barrel, CHAdeMO @ EZ Stop) nearby so if they're available then you're at least not completely stuck and can hopefully charge in 3 - 8 hours. A big delay but not as bad as it could be. And then there's the problem of how many peach cobblers you eat at Cracker Barrel while waiting to charge.

Fortunately Supercharger reliability has been quite good. Not good enough though (this case in point) as we move beyond early adopters and fast followers in to the general population. For now it's perhaps OK to say that they're consumed by Mathew problems though Knoxville was down beforehand.

Comment from plugshare about five minutes ago:

They do work... just slower than supercharging. Maybe by 1/3. So plan on a long dinner and some shopping (over an hour) and you can get where you need to go.