Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Knoxville supercharger - where

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure where to post this, so feel free to move if there is a more appropriate location.

Was driving through Knoxville TN and stopped at the Walmart Supercenter located 8445 Walbrook Dr. This Walmart is located just off of I-40. While parking, I noticed what appeared to be several charging stalls.

Upon closer inspection, the stalls have the Electrify America name on them and include a lcd screen and a credit card reader. There are four stalls, with each stall having 2 charge heads. Based on the parking space lines, I’m not certain how 8 vehicles can be charged at the same time. The charge cables don’t seem long enough.

7 of the 8 charge heads are CCS and 1 head is Chardemo. The chardemo head is rated “up to 50kW”, 3 of the CCS heads are rated “up to 150kW” and (surprise) 4 of the CCS heads are rated “up to 350kW”. The charge cables appear to be fluid cooled, based upon writing on them stating “1000 V - For Use Only In An Approved Cooling System”. Curious as to how long it would take to fully charge a vehicle at 350kW?

The site is complete but for the installation of the transformer. No idea when it will be operational or what the cost to charge will be.
]

That's right by my house, even closer than the superchargers (about 5 miles closer).

It'll be interesting to see what the fee structure will be. I'd never use it if it's more than 10 cents per kWh delivered since I can drive a couple of miles and charge free or at that price while I sleep/sit in the comfort of my own home. (yes there are level 2 EVSEs in Knoxville that are free, not that I ever bother to go there with a proper 240v setup at home).

Last edited:
That's right by my house, even closer than the superchargers (about 5 miles closer).

It'll be interesting to see what the fee structure will be. I'd never use it if it's more than 10 cents per kWh delivered since I can drive a couple of miles and charge at that price or free (yes there are level 2 EVSEs in Knoxville that are free, not that I ever bother to go there with a proper 240v setup at home).
EA lists their pricing already: Pricing | Electrify America
  • $1.00 session fee
  • $0.30 to $0.35 per minute of charging (price range probably depending on locale)
  • $0.40/minute idle fee

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
EA lists their pricing already: Pricing | Electrify America
  • $1.00 session fee
  • $0.30 to $0.35 per minute of charging (price range probably depending on locale)
  • $0.40/minute idle fee

Sounds more expensive than a supercharger.

TN Superchargers

* $0.20 per minute above 60 kW
* $0.10 per minute at or below 60 kW

I can't imagine paying extra to use the Chademo or CCS when there is a supercharger a few miles down the road.

Would be cheaper if you are able to charge at 350kW and hence approx 1/3 the time of the Tesla superchargers. But I doubt our current Tesla cars can charge at a rate much above what they currently do.

I came through on a road trip. My charging just stopped twice. Was able to restart just by pushing start charge but was surprised as this hasn’t happened at any other. Is there a timer on these? Was not even half full from 13% when it stopped first time. Second time it was at 79. Was trying to get to 90 because going up the Appalachia’s in our X for the first time and didn’t want to play single digits.

The temporary site by the waterfront has been removed, unfortunately. PlugShare reports indicate that the main Knoxville site is frequently full with a line.
It definitely is - was there yesterday and the Saturday before. The previous Saturday we got there around 9-10am and there were just a couple of open spots. Then yesterday we got there around 6:00pm and there was one open spot when I got there and another that was out of order. While I was there - there were two cars that came and had to wait. Knoxville could definitely use another location - this one is heavily used. Chattanooga could use an additional one as well.

Reactions: theothertom
Thanks @JPWhite That is great news indeed, the current V2 Knoxville charger is very busy, especially around holiday weekends

Knoxville was full at 1pm today (I wasn’t there, fortunately). Nav showed a short wait. If that’s happening on a random summer Wednesday, I can only imagine how bad it is on a holiday weekend.

A rare sight at the Knoxville, TN Turkey Creek supercharger -- zero cars.

Attachments

• SC-KnoxilleTN-TurkeyCreek.jpg
    SC-KnoxilleTN-TurkeyCreek.jpg
    640.2 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: PStewart