Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Koni - Special Active (Red - Formerly FSD) and Sports (Yellow) - Coming Soon for Model 3 and Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw that as well, but I'm a bit skeptical as there it's not mentioned in any other dealer's description, and seems like the paragraph is copied from Koni's website about yellow, not red.

Koni packages them into a kit for just about every car … except Tesla. But I think that's just a typo/oversight. Hopefully Koni gets back to you.

Last edited:
Got my response from Koni. Basically they said they haven't tested the combo (red+ Eibach springs) so no guarantee.

My guess would be it should work on my LR/19" wheels as the same Koni red is also spec to work on the MYP(and M3/P for the matter), which spring height is already close to the lowering springs and have larger/stiffer wheels.

Still, looking for anyone who have experienced with this combo

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and EVChris
Would be great if someone who has tried a Koni + Eibach combo could chime in.

My concern would be that the ride height with stock length shocks leaves very little free stroke - but perhaps these shocks are designed with sufficient stroke if they are indeed also meant for performance springs. Early performance cars were considerably lower than current versions.

Got my response from Koni. Basically they said they haven't tested the combo (red+ Eibach springs) so no guarantee.

My guess would be it should work on my LR/19" wheels as the same Koni red is also spec to work on the MYP(and M3/P for the matter), which spring height is already close to the lowering springs and have larger/stiffer wheels.

Still, looking for anyone who have experienced with this combo
I have Yellow with H&R springs. The gap looks a lot more even than Eibach. The instructions for H&R lists models than should have the bump stops cut, and Model Y is not on the list, so my assumption is that they intend the stops not to be cut.

Has anyone that installed the special active shocks have any weird sounds over low speed bumps?
It sounds like a double bump or knock when I hit a bump in the road around 30kmh/20mph.
Doesn’t seem to make that sound any other time.
I checked and rechecked all the torques. Nothing was loose.
I even tried jumping in the trunk, which also made no noise (but probably looked ridiculous to my neighbours!).
It’s coming from the front.

Has anyone that installed the special active shocks have any weird sounds over low speed bumps?
It sounds like a double bump or knock when I hit a bump in the road around 30kmh/20mph.
Doesn’t seem to make that sound any other time.
I checked and rechecked all the torques. Nothing was loose.
I even tried jumping in the trunk, which also made no noise (but probably looked ridiculous to my neighbours!).
It’s coming from the front.
mine are nice and quiet. Someone had a clunk up on this thread I think? Ended up not being the strut, something on the car side? That was the rear though I think.

Just hit buy on the Koni Reds direct from Koni NA. $580 shipped. Should have them here this weekend. Hoping to install them this weekend.

Here's my setup, and I hopefully you guys can let me know if im forgetting a crucial step somewhere for max comfort.

Vehicle: 21 MYLR
1. Stock springs
2. cutting the bump stops in roughly half
3. Retorque everything
4. Alignment. - Hoping i wont need this immediately as i wont have much free time between now and when ill be able to get an alignment.

Reactions: Kimmi
@ThePickyOne

Be sure to remove the stabilizer links before jacking the front knuckle and rear spring arm to get desired ride height for torque purposes.

The model 3 is 423mm from center of axle nut to middle of fender arch for the front and 378mm for the rear.

Without removing said nut it is impossible to get the Tesla recommended height for torquing suspension parts and thus bushing binding would occur which will accelerate wear (premature wear).

Once down torque the Stabilizer Links [Sway Bar End Links] and FUCA > Steering Knuckle at full droop (hanging). Those do not need to be torqued at ride height.

Does anyone know if the springs changed at all between 2021 and 2023? I have someone who has a 2023/4 is is installing lowering springs and is looking to sell theirs. Not sure if they changed at all between the years.
yes, springs changed. however springrate changes are not published.
21 and 22 were the same. 23 went to "comfort" suspension. 24 as well.

Reactions: ThePickyOne
Just finished installing these, and wow they make a difference.

The biggest difference was at slower speeds (less than 50MPH) these new shocks really smooth everything out. The worn down concrete road by my house used to vibrate the whole car while I was driving on it, now it smooth. Not glass smooth, but WAY smoother and way less vibration. Bumps/pot holes in the road, are eaten up now. Before a shallow pothole that was longer than the tire, would make a me slightly jostle, and I would feel the edges of the hole (if that makes sense). But now all I hear is the sound of the tire going over it, and virtually no feeling or internal movement.

At higher speeds, or large expansion joints, the feeling is about the same, maybe slightly lets jarring, but still noticeable and you can feel it. But i didnt expect these to fix the large bumps in the road.

Happy to give me descriptive examples if someone wants them. But overall i am pretty darn happy, compared to the stock shocks.

Couple things to note however.

1. There are some new "thumps" that I hear when hitting large bumps. Slightly concerning, but I'm attributing them to them just being different shocks.

2. If you're going to attempt this on an older model y (pre comfort suspension) you need a pass through socket set. Its almost impossible to remove the top cap without one and a Allen set. I don't see any major YouTube channels addressing this, so keep that in mind. I tightening the top hat nut as much as I can, by hand, but I'm not sure how someone would ever properly torque this nut...

3. Alignment of the top cap. This was probably the worst part of the whole thing. Having to disassemble the entire shock assembly, to adjust the alignment of the top hat like 5 degrees was so annoying.....I dont know how to do it any different. But either way, the alignment on the KONI is differnt than stock. On stock, the front single bolt is aligned with the bottom bolt hole on the shock, With the KONI you kind of align it between the bottom bolt hole and the mounting plate of the stabilizer. Kind of weird, but it works.

4. If you're only swapping out the rear shocks, following the tesla instructions and just remove the shock. Saves so much time. HOWEVER I have no idea how to get the ride height set properly in the rear without specialty tools, or a lift. I just said F-it and hope the alignment shop can fix anything wrong here. I cant tell any issues with how its sitting, so maybe I got lucky? Open to thoughts here.

Reactions: tom @ eas
The alignment of the top cap on the fronts can be marked before removing the old one. As long as the spring is settled in the lower mount in the right spot, marking the top of where the spring ends on the cap gets you close enough.

I didn't mark my first side, and just eyeballed it by looking down into the empty hole in the car, and going, OK, about that far off center. Hit it pretty close.

Agree with your assessmet of the ride. Its like you still feel all the bumps, but they don't smash like something's broken. Its still a very sporty stiff ride, but not like you are braking all the dishes in the dish rack with a base ball bat.

Just finished installing these, and wow they make a difference.

The biggest difference was at slower speeds (less than 50MPH) these new shocks really smooth everything out. The worn down concrete road by my house used to vibrate the whole car while I was driving on it, now it smooth. Not glass smooth, but WAY smoother and way less vibration. Bumps/pot holes in the road, are eaten up now. Before a shallow pothole that was longer than the tire, would make a me slightly jostle, and I would feel the edges of the hole (if that makes sense). But now all I hear is the sound of the tire going over it, and virtually no feeling or internal movement.

At higher speeds, or large expansion joints, the feeling is about the same, maybe slightly lets jarring, but still noticeable and you can feel it. But i didnt expect these to fix the large bumps in the road.

Happy to give me descriptive examples if someone wants them. But overall i am pretty darn happy, compared to the stock shocks.

Couple things to note however.

1. There are some new "thumps" that I hear when hitting large bumps. Slightly concerning, but I'm attributing them to them just being different shocks.

2. If you're going to attempt this on an older model y (pre comfort suspension) you need a pass through socket set. Its almost impossible to remove the top cap without one and a Allen set. I don't see any major YouTube channels addressing this, so keep that in mind. I tightening the top hat nut as much as I can, by hand, but I'm not sure how someone would ever properly torque this nut...

3. Alignment of the top cap. This was probably the worst part of the whole thing. Having to disassemble the entire shock assembly, to adjust the alignment of the top hat like 5 degrees was so annoying.....I dont know how to do it any different. But either way, the alignment on the KONI is differnt than stock. On stock, the front single bolt is aligned with the bottom bolt hole on the shock, With the KONI you kind of align it between the bottom bolt hole and the mounting plate of the stabilizer. Kind of weird, but it works.

4. If you're only swapping out the rear shocks, following the tesla instructions and just remove the shock. Saves so much time. HOWEVER I have no idea how to get the ride height set properly in the rear without specialty tools, or a lift. I just said F-it and hope the alignment shop can fix anything wrong here. I cant tell any issues with how its sitting, so maybe I got lucky? Open to thoughts here.
I have another thread on here with sounds coming from the shocks. Does your car make the same noise or are you talking about something else?

Here’s the link to the video. Is this the new sound you get or something else?
Something else. The way yours sounds is like how mine used to sound with the stock suspension....if Im hearing the right part. But I just went for a long drive (highway and sideroads) and didnt notice anything that caught my ear. So maybe mine is gone?

Either way Im going to live with it. The longer highway drive made me really appreciate the new suspension. The chopped up highway no longer rattled me and my car to death.

Reactions: MattM24