TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

L2 chargers at Hearst Castle

Discussion in 'California' started by SMAlset, Jul 6, 2017.

1. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

While charging in Gilroy, a Tesla owner told me they just came from Hearst Castle and were the first to charge at the newly installed and operational Superchargers there. Said the workman just turned on the power.

• Like x 1
  2. Benjamin Brooks

That sounds like an... odd location. Any confirmation in the center console nav yet?
    Perhaps it's actually in Cambria, CA? (like is listed as coming soon on the Tesla | Find Us page?)

3. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

He said it was already listed on Plugshare and I took him at his word. I'm home now and just checked. Not a Supercharger, you are correct. Description there says 4 EV Plug (J1772), 4 Tesla Model S/Xs. Below under description it reads located across from Visitor Center main entrance. 4 posts between 2 rows of parking - each with a Tesla charger and a Clipper Creek charger on it. Photo shows an HPWC, not a Supercharger. Still good for Tesla owners who have to venture out there to the coast (and Heast Castle is worth the trip) but guess Moderators should re-title and move this thread.

4. mberlin3311

mberlin3311 Member

I am not sure but likely is a set of destination chargers. My brother-in-law/ LEAF owner works there. J1772s are newly installed. He says that the tesla chargers do not look like the photo of a SC I texted to him.

5. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

See we were posting at the same time. Yes the Plugshare photo is of a HPWC. I reported the thread and asked to have it re-title and moved to the Normal thread area for California.

Nice to see the State of California (owners of the Castle and castle property) put in chargers there and something for everyone.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I have changed the thread title to reflect the fact that they are L2 chargers, not Superchargers. But I do appreciate the report as those chargers will be very useful! Thanks.

• Like x 1
  7. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

Better than nothing and goof spot to top off before Carmel

8. cpa

cpa Active Member

That is, of course, if Highway 1 reopens any time soon. But the short-term prognosis is not great. I do not know how many millions of yd^3 of dirt and rock slid down onto the highway. And then Cal Trans engineers will have to assess the worthiness of the road bed once all the debris is cleared.

9. smartypnz

smartypnz Supporting Member

I'm guessing 2020, so if visiting Hearst, take 1 south to 46 to 101 to 68 to Monterey. But consider that the Atascadero SC is but a few miles south of the 46/101 intersection (8 miles).

Cambria is on the schedule to receive a SC, but may be on hold since traffic through there after the calamity has dropped probably 90%.