Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lack of loaner cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in bay area and have given up the hope of Tesla loaner car. (They always provided a free
loaner but just not a Tesla.)

Last time, Tesla service center gave me a BMW convertable with only 2000 miles. After leaving SC
just for 5 minutes, I returned to SC and asked (actually begged) if I could have a Tesla even if it was in
the worst condition.

There is just no comparison. After driving a Tesla for about 3 years, I just can’t tolerate any ICE!

I do understand the situation that Tesla is in with production of M3 and more and more people buying
Tesla and I have no problem with that.

I dropped off my performance Model 3 at the Las Vegas SC yesterday (this was after making an appointment to fix delivery issues two weeks ago, delivery 8/2). They couldn’t tell me how long they would work on my car for (could be days or up to a week) and offered to drop my off in a Lyft because there were no loaners available. I raised hell and they came back with a 2018 BMW 430c convertible and offered to also reimburse for the gas. The car was filthy (inside and out) so I took it home and gave it a quick wash (can’t stand dirty cars, even if it’s a loaner). The car is fun to drive, but it is a midget compared to my M3P. Definitely confirmed to me that I will never return to an ICE car.

Considering how rare it is for us S and X owners to get loaners in certain markets, you can be assured Model 3 owners won't have many options. If you're refusing service because you're not getting a Tesla loaner and you're a Model 3 owner then you either need a serious reality check or a serious expectations adjustment...

Jeff

• Disagree
Reactions: TT97 and gambit48
I dropped off my performance Model 3 at the Las Vegas SC yesterday (this was after making an appointment to fix delivery issues two weeks ago, delivery 8/2). They couldn’t tell me how long they would work on my car for (could be days or up to a week) and offered to drop my off in a Lyft because there were no loaners available. I raised hell and they came back with a 2018 BMW 430c convertible and offered to also reimburse for the gas. The car was filthy (inside and out) so I took it home and gave it a quick wash (can’t stand dirty cars, even if it’s a loaner). The car is fun to drive, but it is a midget compared to my M3P. Definitely confirmed to me that I will never return to an ICE car.
I'm getting a paint smudge on the driver side door fixed and they said it's going to take 2 weeks. I asked about gas reimbursement and the person at the SC said that they aren't supposed to reimburse but he can offer me one fill up reimbursement. The BMW 430i convertible they gave me was also filthy. They washed it before they gave it to me but there was still a ton of dirt on the outside (to be fair it's a black car so it's impossible to get it spotless). The inside had a lot of sticky residue that I had to wipe.

I totally agree that after driving the Model 3 for 3 months I can never see myself going back to an ICE. I can't stand how German vehicles do not have a touchscreen for their infotainment system. That touchpad wheel thing is so terrible to use.

Tesla’s loaner system is unfortunately not sustainable as amazing as it is.

It’s going to bite them much harder than it already is if boundaries are not established quickly and universally applied.

They can prioritize it based on number of Tesla’s owned, vehicle trim. Even advertise white glove treatment.

Buy a P100D and you are guaranteed a Tesla loaner as an example.

I got this loaner last week...you guys all complain too much. It helps to be a nice patient guy.

Attachments

• BA1CC037-F9D8-49D4-999B-BD4930144AC9.jpeg
    BA1CC037-F9D8-49D4-999B-BD4930144AC9.jpeg
    424.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Love
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
I got this loaner last week...you guys all complain too much. It helps to be a nice patient guy.

Sweet score.

However, plenty of nice patient guys don't get anything either. There's a level of timing, relationships, suaveness which determines if you get a loaner or not.

As someone who was fortunate enough to get loaners in a highly impacted market, I think the process is too haphazard and can breed resentment.

People are treated pretty uniformly on purchases but on services.. not so much.

I'm not complaining, just seeing a problem that can spiral out if not addressed in a sustainable manner.

Which SC gave you that? I'm going there next time.

My point exactly. But but but.. GUNDAM dude got a P100 Model X? Why can't I? I demand the same.. I bought a S with WHITE SEATS.. I paid more, I gave you an interest free loan that I financed FSD for way back in the day... etc etc.

On an anecdote, I timed my service to bring a car at the same time a buddy was returning his P100DL.

Logical swap... nope. SOMEONE had to make a Youtube video and share too much info so I got kiboshed on what should have been a very straightforward transaction.

Wish he knew when to STFU. :p

Last edited:
Sweet score.

However, plenty of nice patient guys don't get anything either. There's a level of timing, relationships, suaveness which determines if you get a loaner or not.

As someone who was fortunate enough to get a loaner in a highly impacted market, I think the process is too haphazard and can breed resentment.

People are treated pretty uniformly on purchases but on services.. not so much.

I'm not complaining, just seeing a problem that can spiral out if not addressed in a sustainable manner.

My point exactly. But but but.. GUNDAM dude got a P100 Model X? Why can't I? I demand the same.. I got a S.. I paid more, etc, etc.

On an anecdote, I timed my service to bring a car at the same time a buddy was returning his P100DL.

Logical swap... nope. SOMEONE had to make a Youtube video and share too much info so I got kibashed on what should have been a very straightforward transaction.

Gotta know when to talk and when to STFU.
What loaner you end up getting is completely random. It's all based on what the SC has at the time you drop it off. The problem with Tesla is that they sell all their cars. So they don't have a ton of unsold inventory to use as loaners like other companies have.

What loaner you end up getting is completely random. It's all based on what the SC has at the time you drop it off. The problem with Tesla is that they sell all their cars. So they don't have a ton of unsold inventory to use as loaners like other companies have.

I think Tesla got out of the business of providing and servicing their own loaners.

They sell the cars to Enterprise who rents them back to Tesla.

Makes complete sense.

I will just add another data point. I do think this is very service center location dependent. Both times I have needed one in Charlotte I have gotten a Tesla loaner. However, they were definitely not brand new P100Ds. I think they were 2014/2015 RWDs both times.

I'm not complaining, just stating facts. I even went for 1-1/2 weeks in triple digit desert heat on a bicycle while they attempted to get the paint job right the third time. They finally served me up with a Ford Focus through Enterprise 3rd party during the last few weeks of the repair, and I made no complaints.

Last edited: