Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lady Called Police on Dog in Car with Dog Mode Running!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tin Poodle: The road to hell is lined with....

My story...

Lady#1: “Is this your car?”
Me: “Yes”.
Lady#1: “The police are looking for you.”
Me: “Why?”
Lady#1: “Because I called them to report you for leaving your dogs in the car!”
Me: “Ummm...the A/C is on. Didn't you see all of the signs on the car?”
Lady#1: “No...”
Lady#2: “Is this your car?”
Me: “Yes”
Lady#2: “They are overhead paging you in the store. The police are looking for you.”
Me: “OK”
Lady#2: “You can't leave your dogs in the car..”
Me: “A/C is on,..yada,yada...see the signs...yada,yada...dogs are fine...yada,yada...”
Lady#1&#2: [I don't believe you look]
Me: “Let me show you”
Learn from a Mercedes owner how to deal with Tesla premium features explained to others:

Diplomacy and the way you approach situations very often allows you to get around escalating problems such as your imaginary conversation. This is what I would do to be diplomatic: Tell the ladies at step one in an honestly snobbish tone of voice: "This is a Tesla, therefore it takes care of the dog, because it is a premium brand of car." They will be so cognitively alarmed by you having a snobbish car and talking about it snobbishly, that they will be paying full attention to you when they proclaim some muffled toned-down version of "but that's not communist enough!", and you answer their response by saying "Yes, the Tesla keeps the dog cool." Just leave the sentence at that. When they try to argue you down from your snobbish position to their every-man-has-equal-outcome position, they will try to cognitively deal with the "dog cool" end of your sentence hanging at the end of everything you just said, and they would not be able to ignore it unless they are super extreme total nutcases. Most people are not super extreme total nutcases. If they still verbally attack you at that point, RUN and get someone with a gun, preferably a police officer, to come help you. Call 911. Ok, back to most people: the absolute worst they will say if they are not a violent mess is "NO! MY CAR DOES NOT KEEP MY DOG COOL! THEREFORE YOURS CANNOT!", and all you have to do is look them in the eye and say politely with just a bit of honest snobbishness, "Ah, but MY car is a Tesla, and IT DOES keep the dog cool." End your speaking with "dog cool" again in positive tones of voice and sounds, and they will slowly come around to you living in a different reality than they chose to live in, and THEN just maybe they will crack their thought process enough to start letting new information leak into their brain. You should notice an immediate change of face on them, some type of quizzical look, that is not highly offensive, and it's at that moment you can say, perfectly non-snobbishly and very kindly and pointing, slightly friendly leaning into the women, "As you can see, my computer monitor on the dashboard of my car has a message that explains that my dog is perfectly safe and cool." Remember to end the sentence with cool again. Always stop talking after you use the word "cool" to describe your dog.

Situation averted.

How you approach people has a lot to do with how they react. In the case of Dog Mode, someone who has decided to attack you has already gone way into the territory where you will have to defend, so you have to take a strong stance as I explained above. But using a deft strong approach, you can deescalate the situation quickly.

Centigrade for dummies:
  • 0° - Literally freezing (32°F)
  • 5° - Figuratively freezing (41°F)
  • 10° - Downright chilly (50°F)
  • 15° - Brisk (59°F)
  • 20° - The cooler side of pleasant (68°F)
  • 25° - Comfortable (77°F)
  • 30° - Hot (86°F)
  • 37° - Homeostasis (body temperature ~ 98.6°F)
  • 40° - Phoenix springtime hot (104°F)
  • 45° - Phoenix summertime hot (113°F)
  • 50° - Get the hell indoors before you get heat stroke (122°F)
  • 100° - Literally boiling (212°F)
I'd be all for Centigrade if the main number I needed to remember, 37ºC, was not an extremely strange number, and if the range of a good room temperature for me (74ºF-75ºF) was not entirely between two whole number Centigrade numbers making it impossible to use a thermostat set in centigrade for literally any kind of HVAC situation I will ever be in (22ºC is too cold and 23ºC is too hot). Those Metric people need to start making a measurement standard that is human-based, not so inhuman.
Measurement standards are all arbitrary. Imperial measurement standards are arbitrary and idiotic.
Hardly!

0º is the ocean 1 mile away from me about to turn solid (in Fahrenheit).
100º is where sweat doesn't do much.

Both entirely human and easy to conceive.

1' is the length of my foot. Entirely human.
1" is the width of my thumb. Entirely human.
2 yards is my height and also the width from tip of outer hand to tip of outer hand if I hold my arms out to my sides as far as I can.

All entirely human and easy to conceive.

Fractions of an inch are binary, 2 based, just like almost every modern computer today.

A pound is pretty essoteric; I'd prefer a system where I weigh 100 pounds, but as it is, I weigh about 170 to 180 pounds or so. But I can live with that! A cat weighs around 10 to 15 pounds depending on the addiction control capability of the cat owner.

A ton is 2,000 pounds. It would have been nicer if a ton was 1,000 pounds.

The only parts I really don't like about Imperial are the length of a mile (5,280 feet (!)), the fact that the width of my thumb is about one twelfth the length of my foot, the fact that I am 6 times as high as my foot is long, the silly concept of having a 3 foot yard but that one almost makes sense because it is half of a human length, and the ridiculous notion that a minute has to have 60 seconds, an hour 60 minutes, and a day 24 hours, and that the speed of light is ~186,227miles/second at sea level, but Centigrade has almost all of those problems as well, with centimeters not being equal to anything on the body and 4 syllables instead of one, nor decimeters (4 syllables instead of 1 and not equal to any body part), nor meters, and a kilometer is 4 syllables instead of one, and the speed of light in metric is not even a decimal number (it is ~300Mm/s; why not 100Mm/s? Or 1Gm/s?), and stupid metric people are afraid of the M, G, T, and P abbreviations, and stupid metric people measure things in the thousandths of a kilogram (!!!!) when they should use grams, and to add the most insult to injury, in metric, there are still 60 seconds in a minute, there are still 60 minutes in an hour, and there are still bloody 24 hours in a day! How STUPID! Stop bragging about metric to ANYONE. It's a standard, and nothing more. Metric sucks.

Last edited:
lI understand what you're saying. But if you live in the US, how did you switch over and just use C? Every newscast, radio report and person is going to give you the temp in F. So you still have to convert to C.

Basically, I just don’t watch weather on TV. The Tesla has been flipped, so has the iPhone, Apple Watch, various computer(s), tablets, settings on wunderground and weather web sites. Basically, anywhere I personally come across a temperature (either current or forecast).

The holdout is the 2003 pickup (that I rarely drive and will be replaced by an EV pickup at some point in the future). On the pickup, if you change the temp to C, that also changes distance to km, which is much harder to deal with due to not matching the road signs The Leaf was goofy because I could easily change the outside thermometer to C, but if you changed the HVAC to C, that also changed distance to km. I ran it as a hybrid (outside in C, inside in F), but never adjusted the interior set point, so wasn’t an “issue”.

Reactions: focher and Ulmo
"You can’t fault the well-meaning person who called the police without knowing about Tesla’s technology."
No, really, you CAN fault the idiot for not reading the screen.
If you're truly concerned, you're out of your car, looking inside to make sure the owner isn't dead on the floor, etc and you'd see the big ass sign telling you to calm your teats and that the dog is likely more comfortable than you are - so, move along.
There's 'truly concerned', when you're next to the car for a few minutes and then breaking the window; and then there's 'faux concerned', when you're posting pics from a distance after calling the police so you can call yourself a hero online.
This person was clearly in the latter camp. And it's very OK to say so. If we don't call stupid people out, they will continue to act this way.

I'd be all for Centigrade if the main number I needed to remember, 37ºC, was not an extremely strange number, and if the range of a good room temperature for me (74ºF-75ºF) was not entirely between two whole number Centigrade numbers making it impossible to use a thermostat set in centigrade for literally any kind of HVAC situation I will ever be in (22ºC is too cold and 23ºC is too hot). Those Metric people need to start making a measurement standard that is human-based, not so inhuman.
This is clearly subjective, but to my mind "37" is less of an "extremely strange" number than "98.6".

As for thermostats, mine allows me to make settings with a resolution of 0.2 degrees, Centigrade.

Reactions: focher and Ulmo
The Leaf was goofy because I could easily change the outside thermometer to C, but if you changed the HVAC to C, that also changed distance to km.
That's interesting, because I switched to Kilometers per hour too, because I'm strange. I just earmarked some 'good enough' speeds in my head (and niftily, the Tesla will actually show you the speed limit in KPH if you opt for that distance measure).

0 MPH - 0 KPH
35 MPH - 55 KPH
45 MPH - 70 KPH
55 MPH - 90 KPH
65 MPH - 105KPH

"You can’t fault the well-meaning person who called the police without knowing about Tesla’s technology."
No, really, you CAN fault the idiot for not reading the screen.
If you're truly concerned, you're out of your car, looking inside to make sure the owner isn't dead on the floor, etc and you'd see the big ass sign telling you to calm your teats and that the dog is likely more comfortable than you are - so, move along.
There's 'truly concerned', when you're next to the car for a few minutes and then breaking the window; and then there's 'faux concerned', when you're posting pics from a distance after calling the police so you can call yourself a hero online.
This person was clearly in the latter camp. And it's very OK to say so. If we don't call stupid people out, they will continue to act this way.

Agree with this, but liked the post purely for "calm your teats."

Reactions: Phlier
Blackie

Years ago while stationed with the US Coast Guard in Kodiak, AK a friend of mine, named Mike, had a 150 pound big Black Newfound Land Hound he called what else but, “Blackie”. Blackie was very gregarious and enjoyed others company immensely so everywhere Mike went Blackie was sure to be nearby. Mike would leave Blackie in the back of his little Toyota pick-up truck ( and he filled it up) when he was at work at the Coast Guard Base (command had a "no dogs allowed in the aircraft hanger" policy ) and would go out often to check on him or in the parking lot while out shopping in town. When Blackie as sitting in the back of the truck, even if it was full of snow, he was happy. So happy that all you had to do was stop by and say “Hello Blackie” and you got a free complementary face wash in return since the bed of the truck elevated him to the right level for said facial wash. All the kids in town and all the coasties knew Blackie by name and would often go out of their way to greet Blackie. No heater, no a/c, just a bowl of water and Blackie was always comfortable to be out of the house, probably saved furniture cost. To my knowledge he never stepped out of the truck till Mike asked him to and that was usually on a lunch break run.

Put a few disclaimers in for coldish climate Canadians :

Centigrade for dummies:
  • 0° - Literally freezing (32°F) (
  • 5° - Figuratively freezing (41°F) (might need a jacket on)
  • 10° - Downright chilly (50°F) (shorts weather)
  • 15° - Brisk (59°F) (did summer start early?!)
  • 20° - The cooler side of pleasant (68°F)
  • 25° - Comfortable (77°F)
  • 30° - Hot (86°F) (enjoy it while it lasts)

Ref: When to wear shorts - Canadian Running Magazine

67043-e1514148337737.jpg

Learn from a Mercedes owner how to deal with Tesla premium features explained to others:

Diplomacy and the way you approach situations very often allows you to get around escalating problems such as your imaginary conversation. This is what I would do to be diplomatic: Tell the ladies at step one in an honestly snobbish tone of voice: "This is a Tesla, therefore it takes care of the dog, because it is a premium brand of car." They will be so cognitively alarmed by you having a snobbish car and talking about it snobbishly, that they will be paying full attention to you when they proclaim some muffled toned-down version of "but that's not communist enough!", and you answer their response by saying "Yes, the Tesla keeps the dog cool." Just leave the sentence at that. When they try to argue you down from your snobbish position to their every-man-has-equal-outcome position, they will try to cognitively deal with the "dog cool" end of your sentence hanging at the end of everything you just said, and they would not be able to ignore it unless they are super extreme total nutcases. Most people are not super extreme total nutcases. If they still verbally attack you at that point, RUN and get someone with a gun, preferably a police officer, to come help you. Call 911. Ok, back to most people: the absolute worst they will say if they are not a violent mess is "NO! MY CAR DOES NOT KEEP MY DOG COOL! THEREFORE YOURS CANNOT!", and all you have to do is look them in the eye and say politely with just a bit of honest snobbishness, "Ah, but MY car is a Tesla, and IT DOES keep the dog cool." End your speaking with "dog cool" again in positive tones of voice and sounds, and they will slowly come around to you living in a different reality than they chose to live in, and THEN just maybe they will crack their thought process enough to start letting new information leak into their brain. You should notice an immediate change of face on them, some type of quizzical look, that is not highly offensive, and it's at that moment you can say, perfectly non-snobbishly and very kindly and pointing, slightly friendly leaning into the women, "As you can see, my computer monitor on the dashboard of my car has a message that explains that my dog is perfectly safe and cool." Remember to end the sentence with cool again. Always stop talking after you use the word "cool" to describe your dog.

Situation averted.

How you approach people has a lot to do with how they react. In the case of Dog Mode, someone who has decided to attack you has already gone way into the territory where you will have to defend, so you have to take a strong stance as I explained above. But using a deft strong approach, you can deescalate the situation quickly.
I will have to print this and keep it in my pocket. Laughed myself to the floor. Great response and defused the situation.

You mean it's unreasonable to expect somebody to read the bright display in large font on the center screen explaining that the air conditioning is on? Have we lowered the bar that far?

I think you dramatically overestimate how closely people look in these situation. IF she looked in the car up close and IF she looked at the screen and IF it was readable from that angle, then I’m sure she would have been understanding. It’s not her responsibility to go looking for things that she doesn’t know are there.

I think you dramatically overestimate how closely people look in these situation. IF she looked in the car up close and IF she looked at the screen and IF it was readable from that angle, then I’m sure she would have been understanding. It’s not her responsibility to go looking for things that she doesn’t know are there.
Tesla should have the option to have the banner scroll across the top of the screen, in max bright orange flashing on black. You know, like the old internet ads that were so annoying we all installed ad blockers: "THE AIR CONDITIONING IS ON. THE DOG IS COMFORTABLE. DON'T BREAK MY WINDOW"

Last edited:
I didn't get checked by the cops, but a similar thing happened to me this summer in Toronto. A very concerned woman and her daughter were watching me anxiously when I returned to our dog-moded car, with Piper looking plaintively out the window. I had to explain to the woman that it was an electric car, that the AC was on, etc., etc. Needless to say, most people have no clue about this capability. It would be great if Tesla figured out a better signage system so that anxious people in the parking lot don't fret, debating whether to call the police or take a hammer to the back window.

Agreed - the "Dog Mode" warning on the dashboard tablet isn't obvious enough. Let's face it, many dog lovers will see the dog locked in a car (Doggie in Danger! Doggie in Danger!) and totally ignore surroundings. Being asked to look in the cabin and read the mild, white graphic on white background message is just too much.

The dashboard warning needs to literally be in bright colors, and flashing brightly, to create a chance that it will penetrate the mind of someone who is otherwise freaking out over "fur babies" being suffocated before their eyes.