Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane Departure Avoidance issue when pedestrians are present

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I had an unusual occurrence the other day. Pedestrians walking on the shoulder. No AP or TACC engaged. I steer slightly over the center line, however a car is approaching from the opposite direction. Watson (my model 3) decided to auto steer / correct right towards the pedestrians. Good thing I had a tight grip on the wheel and pulled it back. Pretty scary. I can see this happening often in my case as we have lots of bicyclists riding narrow roads and having to cross center lines with oncoming traffic. Seems lie the "AI" is choosing to hit people and not cars :)

So you crossed over the yellow line, the car started to steer itself back to the center of the lane and you freaked out because it just happened to happen as you were passing some pedestrians? Got it.

The above was written with some sarcasm but I think it is actually probably pretty accurate...unless you are trying to say that the car swerved and actually went across the right hand line.

The car seems to hug the left side of the lane on a right hand curve also...I take over when there is oncoming traffic because I don't want to chance any mistakes by anyone with the decreased distance margin.

So you crossed over the yellow line, the car started to steer itself back to the center of the lane and you freaked out because it just happened to happen as you were passing some pedestrians? Got it.

The above was written with some sarcasm but I think it is actually probably pretty accurate...unless you are trying to say that the car swerved and actually went across the right hand line.

The car seems to hug the left side of the lane on a right hand curve also...I take over when there is oncoming traffic because I don't want to chance any mistakes by anyone with the decreased distance margin.

Keep in mind he did not have AP/TACC engaged. There is nothing to "take over". He was driving. But LDA came into play.

So I had an unusual occurrence the other day. Pedestrians walking on the shoulder. No AP or TACC engaged. I steer slightly over the center line, however a car is approaching from the opposite direction. Watson (my model 3) decided to auto steer / correct right towards the pedestrians. Good thing I had a tight grip on the wheel and pulled it back. Pretty scary. I can see this happening often in my case as we have lots of bicyclists riding narrow roads and having to cross center lines with oncoming traffic. Seems lie the "AI" is choosing to hit people and not cars :)

So if this was a "normal" car, would you have stayed crossing the line with oncoming traffic or grazed the pedestrians?

Keep in mind he did not have AP/TACC engaged. There is nothing to "take over". He was driving. But LDA came into play.

Yes there was the cars' corrective action that it was taking to take over. OP said the car tried to make a corrective maneuver and that they had to take over. The active steering shifts from the human to the vehicle when LDA or ELDA kicks in.

Yes there was the cars' corrective action that it was taking to take over. OP said the car tried to make a corrective maneuver and that they had to take over. The active steering shifts from the human to the vehicle when LDA or ELDA kicks in.

But your prior post sounded like you said something along the lines of you like to "take control" before the potential oncoming conflict comes up. They only way he could do that would be to disable LDA.

Last edited:
The car does not hug the center ( yellow ) line. It just seems that way because most of us have been driving to the right of the lane. Perspective makes it look worse in a right hand curve.
I got back and forth on this. I think I do naturally seem to bias the right side a bit more so when I first got my M3 it made me uncomfortable how it was aiming for the center.

However - I do honestly feel like it starts making right handed turns a little too late. Even the lines displayed on the screen show the car hugging the center line in right hand turns so I don't think it's just a perspective issue.

@M3_MikeH, were the pedestrians walking in the street or off the street on the shoulder? If the latter, your car did not attempt to veer into the pedestrians. It was correcting you who crossed the yellow line, back into the center of the lane.

Kinda like the vehicle is 'thinking' safer to center between the pedestrians and the oncoming traffic, while you're 'thinking' better to drive into oncoming traffic to give the pedestrians on the shoulder more room. :confused:

Reactions: derotam

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. Where I live almost every day I pass people (with dogs) on the shoulder or cyclists, mail trucks, landscapers, etc. So almost every day I'm crossing the center line to leave extra room on the shoulder. Often there is an approaching car some distance away. Everyone knows what is going on and nobody panics about a car crossing the center line.

I really don't like this lane departure feature as it is described (I don't have it yet). It sounds just like the Boeing 737 Max MCAS problem--the car thinks it knows better than the driver and will take away control!

• Informative
Reactions: linkster
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. Where I live almost every day I pass people (with dogs) on the shoulder or cyclists, mail trucks, landscapers, etc. So almost every day I'm crossing the center line to leave extra room on the shoulder. Often there is an approaching car some distance away. Everyone knows what is going on and nobody panics about a car crossing the center line.

I really don't like this lane departure feature as it is described (I don't have it yet). It sounds just like the Boeing 737 Max MCAS problem--the car thinks it knows better than the driver and will take away control!

Just tried it 30 minutes ago(to confirm). If I “actively” cross the yellow center line the car does nothing. If I let the car drift over the line it steers back. Same goes for shoulder line.

It’s not always 100% accurate assessing if I actively steered over or drifted over though.

If your on a 2 lane road (one lane each direction) and a dashed yellow line comes up, allowing to pass you don’t want the car pushing you back. They active steering should handle stop it from steering back. I typically don’t use the blinker for passing like this (single lane). I never see other folks doing it either.