Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane Departure Avoidance issue when pedestrians are present

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not sure what it should do, or I want it to do in that case. If I’m “swerving” out of the way, I typically would not signal. I don’t plan on leaving the lane.
If I'm driving and there is something (cyclist, person walking, mail truck delivering mail, etc...) I use the turn signal to drive over the center lane and I don't get a counter reaction from the car.

I agree with mswlogo ... I see everyone complaining about LDA but have had the opposite experience with it. IF I let it drift to the right and start to cross into the next lane it gently pulls the car back center. If I actually steer it to the left and cross the lane line it nudges but does NOT take over and put me back in the lane. Now if the car is left to drift right to the edge of the roadway Yes, it yells and turns red while pulling back into center of the lane which is a good thing. Most drives that depart the roadway unexpected tend to over correct making it much worse.

Yet another exampke of ELDA almost causing harm. Tesla needs to get their heads out of their asses and let us disable this *sugar* while they improve their software.

Yep, car should have just let the OP continue driving over the line with oncoming traffic and head on another car. /s

Edit: Just so there is no confusion as to my intention behind my posts about this subject, I do agree that ELDA should be able to be permanently turned off. I merely point out some possible alternate explanations to counter someones perception of what they experienced...example this OP where the OP thinks that the car was going to over steer onto the shoulder into the pedestrians. I think that is an unreasonable assumption. Now I would be happy to be proven wrong of someone can show that the car actually over steers across the opposite lane line...I'll wait...

Last edited:
Reactions: edigest
The car does not hug the center ( yellow ) line. It just seems that way because most of us have been driving to the right of the lane. Perspective makes it look worse in a right hand curve.

I won't say that it hugs the left side of the lane ALL the time as it is more common on sharper curves, but it does do it. It is not just my perception, I can see it in my side mirror(pointed downward to see the lane line close to the car, and you can see it on the display with the animation.

So I had an unusual occurrence the other day. Pedestrians walking on the shoulder. No AP or TACC engaged. I steer slightly over the center line, however a car is approaching from the opposite direction. Watson (my model 3) decided to auto steer / correct right towards the pedestrians. Good thing I had a tight grip on the wheel and pulled it back. Pretty scary. I can see this happening often in my case as we have lots of bicyclists riding narrow roads and having to cross center lines with oncoming traffic. Seems lie the "AI" is choosing to hit people and not cars :)
The world is full of edge cases, which is why, IMO, “full self driving” is a long, long way off.
Robin

The car does not hug the center ( yellow ) line. It just seems that way because most of us have been driving to the right of the lane. Perspective makes it look worse in a right hand curve.

I have a Model X, and I can definitely say that it does hug the center yellow line. I frequently drive a road that has safety bumps in the center of the yellow line and on about 10% of the right hand turns, the front wheel is hitting those bumps, which means that tire is in the center of the yellow line.

• Informative
Reactions: linkster
So you crossed over the yellow line, the car started to steer itself back to the center of the lane and you freaked out because it just happened to happen as you were passing some pedestrians? Got it.

The above was written with some sarcasm but I think it is actually probably pretty accurate...unless you are trying to say that the car swerved and actually went across the right hand line.

The car seems to hug the left side of the lane on a right hand curve also...I take over when there is oncoming traffic because I don't want to chance any mistakes by anyone with the decreased distance margin.

It did not cross the right had line, but it felt like it could have. My first time experiencing it so I was surprised. In the future no more threading the needle.

So if this was a "normal" car, would you have stayed crossing the line with oncoming traffic or grazed the pedestrians?

Yep, in this area there is a lot of bike and pedestrian traffic, folks are used to it and just nudge over or oncoming slows down to let you around. Everyone works together to stay safe, I didnt need )or expect) the car to do anything. Now I know

Interesting. Didn't know that. Does it reset itself every time?

Yep every single drive, sigh

I've been vocal with Tesla on this as I believe that providing new software that defaults to opt-in is wrong. I've sent email to [email protected] saying that forcing us to reconfigure our driving experience every drive is consumer unfriendly... that's aside from the fact that some folks drive in conditions where the feature might not be ready for prime time, a fact which doesn't help in promoting a positive image for the company in my opinion.

I agree with mswlogo ... I see everyone complaining about LDA but have had the opposite experience with it. IF I let it drift to the right and start to cross into the next lane it gently pulls the car back center. If I actually steer it to the left and cross the lane line it nudges but does NOT take over and put me back in the lane. Now if the car is left to drift right to the edge of the roadway Yes, it yells and turns red while pulling back into center of the lane which is a good thing. Most drives that depart the roadway unexpected tend to over correct making it much worse.

I think it has to do with the steering wheel force detection. Sometimes I'm holding the wheel steering lightly enough that the car doesn't 'register' that I'm holding the wheel and ELDA intervenes. Same goes for autopilot, sometimes when I'm on autopilot I get flashed at to "Hold the wheel" even though I'm already holding it..

For me, I live on one and 1.5 lane roads, I have to frequently steer out of the way for vehicles or leave the road. If I make a quick movement it doesn't seem like ELDA comes on but if I make a slow gradual veer (as in I see the car coming from a long away away and don't abruptly move over) ELDA thinks I'm drifting.

I agree with a lot of the others here though, we have many driving situations that ELDA can't account for, it needs a permanent off switch. Especially needs an off switch for the loud annoying notification. I can deal with the gentle steering wheel tugging to a point.

I think it has to do with the steering wheel force detection. Sometimes I'm holding the wheel steering lightly enough that the car doesn't 'register' that I'm holding the wheel and ELDA intervenes. Same goes for autopilot, sometimes when I'm on autopilot I get flashed at to "Hold the wheel" even though I'm already holding it..

For me, I live on one and 1.5 lane roads, I have to frequently steer out of the way for vehicles or leave the road. If I make a quick movement it doesn't seem like ELDA comes on but if I make a slow gradual veer (as in I see the car coming from a long away away and don't abruptly move over) ELDA thinks I'm drifting.

I agree with a lot of the others here though, we have many driving situations that ELDA can't account for, it needs a permanent off switch. Especially needs an off switch for the loud annoying notification. I can deal with the gentle steering wheel tugging to a point.

Yeah, still trying to figure it out. I also think it’s reaction also varies. Sometimes it’s a gentle bump back. Other times it’s fairly strong and alarms you. I think if it sees objects over the line it jars you back and alarms. If nothing is there it does the silent bump.

I’ve yet to see it misbehave.

Yeah, still trying to figure it out. I also think it’s reaction also varies. Sometimes it’s a gentle bump back. Other times it’s fairly strong and alarms you. I think if it sees objects over the line it jars you back and alarms. If nothing is there it does the silent bump.

I’ve yet to see it misbehave.

You may be on to something, the roads I'm on have overhanging weeds and trees very close to the road. Every time ELDA (I have LDA off) reacts it's a major tug and alarm. I've yet to see it do a silent bump in my car.

Reactions: mswlogo
Someone did a like on one of posts above so it brought this topic to the forefront in my head again ;)

Anyway this case is a real challenge for FSD.

The way most "experienced" drivers drive, is taken for granted. I'm sure other folks do this sort of thing.

That is, you see someone on the shoulder of the road (bike, walking, walking a bike). If you have the space you give them ample room. Probably more than needed but you are trying to make them comfortable as well as your passengers (in case they tripped and moved suddenly into you lane because they were not aware you were there, for all you know they are deaf). You just do it instinctively.

Now you see a car coming from the opposite direction, and the timing is such that you know you will pass the people on the shoulder just about at the same time the on coming car will pass them. What do you do? You might slow down, or even possibly speed up to "fix" the timing such that you are not 3 abreast. Technically, you could just stay in your lane and others should have there own "defense / safety" mechanisms that they feel they have enough "margin". Even occasionally you might just say "call it" and keep your pace and not give them the extra space. You call this in your head case by case. And the LDA/ELDA sometimes conflicts with it.

But independent of LDA/ELDA and your driving, when will FSD handle this case properly?

Oops. I have ELDA set and it works less than half the time when I drift over. I've also purposely steered to go over a line, both solid white and solid yellow and dashed white, and the car fails to return. I have 2019.20.4.2 and I wonder if anyone else had that problem with that software but had it "fixed" with newer software.

Oops. I have ELDA set and it works less than half the time when I drift over. I've also purposely steered to go over a line, both solid white and solid yellow and dashed white, and the car fails to return. I have 2019.20.4.2 and I wonder if anyone else had that problem with that software but had it "fixed" with newer software.

You drift out of your lane a lot? :eek:

ELDA is "... designed to steer a Tesla vehicle back into the driving lane if our system detects that it is departing its lane and there could be a collision ..."

Did you "purposely steered to go over a line" with on-coming traffic? If not, ELDA doesn't come into play.

You drift out of your lane a lot? :eek:

ELDA is "... designed to steer a Tesla vehicle back into the driving lane if our system detects that it is departing its lane and there could be a collision ..."

Did you "purposely steered to go over a line" with on-coming traffic? If not, ELDA doesn't come into play.

I've tried it more since I posted and ELDA is still inconsistent. I've tried it with on-coming traffic only a few times because I don't want to scare the other driver. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. I get similar results without steering into oncoming traffic. Although I have the car set for both the chime and the assist, I get the "nudge" more often. Now that I have 2019.24.4, I'll try it again. It's not a major loss but it would be nice to have just in case. I see here that others have had certain features not work as they should, so I expect this to be resolved in time. Thanks for your response.