Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane-splitting motorcycle stoplight drag-race dilemma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, current AP software is not to be used unless you are on the freeway.

Here is an excerpt from the manual

About AutoSteer
"Note: Autosteer is a BETA feature. If you have purchased the optional Enhanced Autopilot or Full Self-Driving Capability packages, you can use Autosteer to manage steering and speed under certain circumstances.

Autosteer builds upon TrafficAware Cruise Control (see Traffic-Aware Cruise Control on page 61), intelligently keeping Model 3 in its driving lane when cruising at a set speed. Using the vehicle's camera(s), the radar sensor, and the ultrasonic sensors, Autosteer detects lane markings and the presence of vehicles and objects, steering Model 3 based on the lane markings and the vehicle directly in front of you.

Warning: Autosteer is a hands-on feature. You must keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times.

Warning: Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads with a fully attentive driver. When using Autosteer, hold the steering wheel and be mindful of road conditions and surrounding traffic. Do not use Autosteer on city streets, in construction zones, or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present. Never depend on Autosteer to determine an appropriate driving path. Always be prepared to take immediate action. Failure to follow these instructions could cause damage, serious injury or death."
Got it, thanks. Saw the mention of what would it do to AP from a stop light so thought others were using it this way. My bad.

Reactions: forkee
Generally motorcycles are quicker than most cars.
Many Tesla cars are quicker than most motorcycles.
So we end up with a situation.

You are lucky enough to end up first in line at a stoplight, ready to have fun with that low end torque.
Just as the light is about to change a motorcycle lane-splits and pulls up right alongside your front fender, ready to blast off when the light changes.
Motorcycles are used to being quicker than cars, so they figure they get to take dibs on the light launch, but may not realize that the Tesla beside them is quicker then they are.

So what is the Tesla driver to do?
... Just let the motorcycle take the launch since the rider assumes the car will lag behind and they can quickly merge into the middle of the lane in the intersection?
... Out-launch the motorcycle to retrain the rider that Tesla cars are not slow, and they need to respect the Tesla launch ability?

Maybe Model S & X have less of this problem since they are so wide they don't leave much room for lane splitters?
In my Model 3, I have had this happen multiple times, and I don't know if the motor-cyclist is hoping for a race, or expecting me to yield.
It seems awkward / dangerous. I feel disappointed that I have to give up on my "first in line" opportunity by someone that wants to cut in line.
When someone really, really wants to be first I find it's always better to let them streak away as quickly as possible. It's not my job to "teach" a bad driver to "respect" a Tesla. Who cares what they think? This effectively puts the most distance between me and a (likely) dangerous driver the quickest , and IMO, that's the best possible outcome.
Robin

Reactions: Jay911
Keep the drag racing on the track.

That being said... what do you do about lane splitting motorcycles when in autopilot?

Before I had a car with autopilot, I used to be courteous and move over on the lane to let the motorcyle through... especially on the HOV lane. Majority of cars behind me and in front do the same and I used to always get a thumbsup from the rider.

Now with autopilot it doesn’t care if a motorcyle is plitting lanes in the HOV or any other lane for that matter. It always stays in the middle of the lane. So I end up in situations where all the cars ahead and infront of me move over a smidge for the motorcyles where as I’m the A’hole crusing along in the middle of the lane in autopilot. They come very close to my passenger mirror... especially big wide Harley Davidsons (those things are so wide they shouldnt be allowed to lane split). I’ve had many sport bikes go past me and rev their engines expecting me to move over & even had a few instances where some riders waved the finger at me. I just raise both hands up and motion “I’m not in control” even though ultimately I am and just supervising the car. The car is perfectly in the middle of the lane... probably moves a tiny bit more to the right to center itself whenever there are breaks in the HOV lane to merge out as well.

So what would you do? Disengage autopilot and move over? Or start an education campaign for lane splitting motorcycle riders that Tesla’s on autopilot don’t care about your lane splitting? Maybe next update for autopilot automatically have the car move over within the lane to recognize motorcycles and let them through? How do other Tesla owners that are motorcycle riders feel about this? Just curious.
Lane splitting motorcycles are a problem. Often I don't see them coming up from behind until they blast past me in traffic. I think AP does a good job of staying in the center of the lane and not drifting side to side and this should let the motorcycle plan their pass safely. I really don't like the idea of moving out of the center of the lane. Some bozo in the next lane could drift into you while you are giving the motorcycle extra room to pass.

Reactions: CoolSilver
Please don’t lump all “men” into the stupid catagory. You’re not risking just yourself. You’re putting other people at risk around you. Take it to the track. You’re more of a “man” if you’re mature enough to resist racing on public roads (ever).
You can do both. Be mature enough to resist high-risk actions, yet manly enough to embrace low risk actions. Even those that have risk to others.
The world was dragged out of the Stone Age by risk-taking men. Every action (including inaction) carries risk to ourselves and others.
Nowadays we undervalue joy and overvalue safety. Like stopping boys skateboarding. Let them break their legs, and compete for mates, and push back on authority, and carve their future.

I am both a motorcyclist and now a model 3 owner and yes I do split lanes at red lights. I believe the only state where splitting lanes is legal is California, where I currently reside.

When I split lanes I do try to notice the cars next to me. I pay special attention to Teslas, and any other high end sports cars in case they want to race. I try to takeoff quickly (when safe) in order not to block traffic, but to some drivers they see this as a challenge. When I clear the intersection and other cars, I immediately move into the adjacent lane that the Tesla or sports car was in.

Out of all the times splitting lane at red lights, only once was there a Tesla that had to "prove" their acceleration prowess to me. When we both reached the next red light and in our own lanes, when the light turned green, I went ahead an let him take off first.

I'm in Irvine where there is a high concentration of Teslas. Most of these Tesla drivers just drive normally like they would in any other sedan/SUV.

As a motorcyclist, there's an obvious bias, but to answer your question, let the motorcyclist launch first. Safer all around.
I have always thought that motorcycles moved to the front at stop lights (and train crossings) because most are aircooled and can overheat when idling for long periods of time. Or maybe that happens only with aircooled VWs?

I have not read through the last few pages, so sorry if this has already been brought up already. I have found some particular behavior with AP1 that can make lane splitting particularly dangerous.

Here in So Cal, I often ride in the car pool lane using AP. I cannot speak for AP2, but AP1 tends to favor the right side of the carpool lane. That is formed by a double-double yellow line. When that changes to a carpool lane exit, the double-double yellow changes to a single white broken line, in alignment with the furthest right double yellow. At that time, AP1 immediately veers over to hug that broken-white. If a motorcyclist was passing me on the right at that moment, it could get ugly.

I know it's beating a dead horse, but I feel very strongly about giving a bike (motor or not) a lot of space on the road, even if they are being arrogant SOBs. It pains me to see cars tailgating motorcycles.

They don't have a bumper, plain and simple, and I don't want a death on my hands because my ego got bruised.

Reactions: mkspeedr
I had a CBR600. I pulled up beside a Vette in a double left turn lane onto an on-ramp in my own lane. I wasn't even thinking of racing as I just road 2 hours in rain and the road was still wet. I took off normal on the bike, quick for a normal car. The Vette tried to beat me up the on ramp to where the lanes merged. I had no idea he was doing this and he lost control and hit me from the rear. Bike and gear were totaled. My wrist was shattered and I spent months unable to use my hand and I still have problems with it. Whatever you do if you do race anything off the line stay in control and give people space. My P85 is definitely quicker than my CBR. I think most bikers realize the Tesla's are quick but still think they're quicker.

Starts@4:48

• Informative
Reactions: TEG
I actually today, on the interstate, had a jackass on a bike go around me because I had my autopilot set to 3 or 4 and wasn't good enough. Split the lane and barely made it between the ass end of the car in the right lane and my front fender. Car gave no shits, no beeps, nothing. He swerved around others ahead. Whatever. I think some people really want to push the edge of stupid

Last edited:
Lane splitting is illegal in my state - CT - and most states...

Generally motorcycles are quicker than most cars.
Many Tesla cars are quicker than most motorcycles.
So we end up with a situation.

You are lucky enough to end up first in line at a stoplight, ready to have fun with that low end torque.
Just as the light is about to change a motorcycle lane-splits and pulls up right alongside your front fender, ready to blast off when the light changes.
Motorcycles are used to being quicker than cars, so they figure they get to take dibs on the light launch, but may not realize that the Tesla beside them is quicker then they are.

So what is the Tesla driver to do?
... Just let the motorcycle take the launch since the rider assumes the car will lag behind and they can quickly merge into the middle of the lane in the intersection?
... Out-launch the motorcycle to retrain the rider that Tesla cars are not slow, and they need to respect the Tesla launch ability?

Maybe Model S & X have less of this problem since they are so wide they don't leave much room for lane splitters?
In my Model 3, I have had this happen multiple times, and I don't know if the motor-cyclist is hoping for a race, or expecting me to yield.
It seems awkward / dangerous. I feel disappointed that I have to give up on my "first in line" opportunity by someone that wants to cut in line.

Perhaps today's climate of insisting that a personal opinion can outweigh any amount of factual evidence has more severe consequences than we had thought.

Despite strong opinions to the contrary, the evidence clearly demonstrates that lane splitting is statistically safer for the rider. Those riders doing so tend to also exhibit safer behaviors (better helmets, less alcohol). There are a few exceptions out there (a$$holes are everywhere) but they don't change the statistical findings:

AMA: Study Finds Lane-Splitting Increases Rider Safety
(American Motorcyclist Association June 2, 2015)
. . .
Among the U.C. Berkeley findings:

- Lane-splitting is safe if done in traffic moving at 50 mph or less, and if motorcyclists do not exceed the speed of other vehicles by more than 15 mph

- 69 percent of lane-splitting motorcyclists were exceeding the traffic speed by 15 mph or less speed differentials up to 15 mph were not associated with changes in the frequency of injury

- Compared to riders who were not splitting lanes, lane-splitting motorcyclists were markedly less likely to suffer head injury (9 percent vs. 17 percent), torso injury (19 percent vs. 29 percent) or fatal injury (1.2 percent vs. 3 percent)

- Lane-splitting riders were significantly less likely to be rear-ended than non-lane-splitting riders (2.6 percent vs. 4.6 percent)

- Lane-splitting motorcyclists were more likely to be wearing a full-face helmet than other motorcyclists (81 percent vs. 67 percent)

- Compared to other motorcyclists, lane-splitting riders were more often riding on weekdays and during commuting hours, were using better helmets and were traveling at slower speeds;

- Lane-splitting riders were less likely to have been using alcohol.

"These new findings bolster our position that responsible lane-splitting is a safe and effective riding technique that can be beneficial for riders and motorists alike," Allard said. "Lane splitting eases traffic congestion by taking motorcyclists out of the line of cars and trucks. And the practice increases safety by allowing motorcycle riders to avoid the risk of rear-end collisions in stopped or slow-moving traffic."

Motorcycle lane splitting is a common practice in many countries throughout the world - particularly in the highly urbanized areas of Europe and Asia. Long recognized as a way to alleviate traffic congestion and reduce the risk of crashes, the practice nevertheless remains largely prohibited in the United States, with California currently being the exception.

The UC-Berkeley study is the latest to examine crash data related to lane splitting and follows a similar report issued in October 2014 (same conclusions).

Drive safe, ride safe and watch out for those around you.

Sounds like a lot of data with no analysis. I'm surprised I didn't find "a majority of lane-splitters were X color".

Follow me here: lane-splitting riders were less likely to have been using alcohol, more likely to wear full-face helmet, and driving at slower speeds... and they had less head/torso/fatal injuries? Shocking! I wonder what the cause of that was? Where they were positioned in the lane or all of the above more relevant reasons?

Lane splitting motorcycles are a problem. Often I don't see them coming up from behind until they blast past me in traffic. I think AP does a good job of staying in the center of the lane and not drifting side to side and this should let the motorcycle plan their pass safely. I really don't like the idea of moving out of the center of the lane. Some bozo in the next lane could drift into you while you are giving the motorcycle extra room to pass.

Curiously enough, on V9 while stopped at a light yesterday, the new 360 view showed a lane-splitting motorcycle coming up on the left and moving between the cars all the way until it was far in front of me. All this with a motorcycle avatar, I thought it was pretty cool. Also a stationary motorcycle in the right lane ahead also had a motorcycle avatar.

No idea what AP will do when everyone is in motion though.