Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Last of the Model Y pre-Highland?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2020
Arkansas
My 2020 Model Y (LR AWD) is rapidly nearing 100,000 miles. My wife wants to replace it soonish. Her first choice is a new Model Y. I like everything about newer Model Ys except lack of proximity sensors. I'm not a fan of the Highland Model 3's lack of stalks, etc, and I'm pretty sure she won't be either.

How late do we think pre-Highland Model Ys will be produced? How long can I push this purchase out? :D

I mean, as long as you want, as you can always buy a used model Y thats pre highland even after those come out. If you want to buy brand new from Tesla, this is the same question as "when is Juniper coming out" so falls under that discussion.

If you are asking "whats the latest model year used model Y I can get with stalks, and ultrasonic sensors?", I dont know what the latest is, but the 2022 model year model Y performance we have, was made in March of 2022 and we picked it up same month. It has USS, and also has the ryzen processor (and stalks, obviously).

Reactions: LoudMusic
My 2020 Model Y (LR AWD) is rapidly nearing 100,000 miles. My wife wants to replace it soonish. Her first choice is a new Model Y. I like everything about newer Model Ys except lack of proximity sensors. I'm not a fan of the Highland Model 3's lack of stalks, etc, and I'm pretty sure she won't be either.

How late do we think pre-Highland Model Ys will be produced? How long can I push this purchase out? :D
We don't know at this point but my guess is that Model Y Juniper won't be released until sometime in 2025. What we do know is that Tesla is very spontaneous when it comes to reassembling their production lines for the new product and have done that in the past. However I wouldn't fear too much because typically by the time Tesla starts to produce Model Y Juniper you would have some heads up from some insiders on when this change might be looming. You can also look to purchase from inventory available at that time and it should all be non-Juniper models.

Release of the updated Y will surely not be too big a secret. More importantly, there may be some sales incentive offered by Tesla to help sell old-stock Ys, much like they did before release of the Highland 3. So assuming your current Y can stay on the road it's probably worthwhile to wait and see.

• Helpful
Reactions: LoudMusic
Not sure about US. Based on tesla-info the inventory of Model Y is double of Model 3 in Canada. I won't worry about it.

I don't see the point of buying an exact same car that has not undergone any changes. I like variety.

In US they are about equal in terms of inventory BUT doesn't the Model Y sell at least 2x the 3 ; maybe 3x the 3 in terms of yearly volume?
So there should be double the amount of Y's in Canada inventory as 3's that sounds like nothing unusual.

Is a personal decision, one might be able to get a deal either on price or financing for the last year pre-refresh compared to getting nothing off when the refresh comes and a long delivery wait is almost a certainty.
Other things may not apply in Canada but factor into a US buyer's decisions, Federal rebate, State rebates, etc... no guarantees they will still be around or applicable when the new Y refresh comes out.

In US they are about equal in terms of inventory BUT doesn't the Model Y sell at least 2x the 3 ; maybe 3x the 3 in terms of yearly volume?
So there should be double the amount of Y's in Canada inventory as 3's that sounds like nothing unusual.

Is a personal decision, one might be able to get a deal either on price or financing for the last year pre-refresh compared to getting nothing off when the refresh comes and a long delivery wait is almost a certainty.
Other things may not apply in Canada but factor into a US buyer's decisions, Federal rebate, State rebates, etc... no guarantees they will still be around or applicable when the new Y refresh comes out.
The Canadian rebate model biases heavily towards SUV. The model Y LR and Performance is cheaper than the model 3 equivalent. Crazy. Model y is very popular.
Yesterday at a mall I came across 3 WHITE Model y parked next to each other. Another white Y was about to pull into the adjacent spot but he probably noticed the same scene and proceeded to park at the next aisle. 😆

Mine came from China 2024 with stalks and sensors. Hopefully I won't ever need to buy another one.
I didnt know they were still putting ultra sound sensors (which is what the "sensors in my post were referring to") in 2024 Model Ys anywhere in the world. Not sure we are talking about the same thing, but if so, thats interesting information, thanks for sharing.

I didnt know they were still putting ultra sound sensors (which is what the "sensors in my post were referring to") in 2024 Model Ys anywhere in the world. Not sure we are talking about the same thing, but if so, thats interesting information, thanks for sharing.
The 3/4" circles in the guards, give you the beeps when you are getting close to things.

Mine beeps when I am half a metre away from swiping something. Like I don't know it is there. Handy for drawing up on something in front below the bonnet line though.

Because once this happens it will almost certainly drive the price down on the current generation MY, both new and used.
Don’t count on that. The price of the current MY can go up or down before Juniper comes out next year (and the federal tax credit could go away), and the used car market is unpredictable. I also think the current MY might have a better resale value because it will be the last Tesla that has stalks. Plus you can often get a great deal on inventory cars — when we bought our MYP last year from inventory, it was discounted nearly $5k (new car, not a demo).

You can’t predict the future. If you see a good deal on an MY this year, go for it.

Doubtful. There are a gazillion Model Ys. Dime a dozen. Is it the most sold Tesla of all time? EVs in general depreciate pretty steeply and so do Teslas. You can derive the used prices of Model X, Y and 3 after their successors show up. I've come across a pre-refreshed Model S for 1/3rd the price of a new one.