Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a set of G Version from Ebay and put them on. They work perfectly and I hope the Newer version has fixed the issue.

As far as alignment goes there is a turn knob underneath the plastic cover. just turn it clockwise or antic clockwise to move the light up or down. here is the picture of what it looks like.

IMG_6503.jpg

I bought a set of G Version from Ebay and put them on. They work perfectly and I hope the Newer version has fixed the issue.

As far as alignment goes there is a turn knob underneath the plastic cover. just turn it clockwise or antic clockwise to move the light up or down. here is the picture of what it looks like.

View attachment 708925
How much did they cost?

At my last service appointment, before my warranty was up, mine were dim but not out yet. I asked them if they would make note of it and replace them once they came up with a non-defective version. I doubt they made note of it, and would replace out of warranty for free. The service rep told me it wasn't an issue and he hadn't heard of any headlights being replaced, so I doubt he made a note of it. It's not known yet if they have come up with a non-defective version of these lights yet is it?

I just noticed the top portion on the passenger side is now completely out. I think mine faired well because I was almost always parked in a garage at home or at work. Over the last year and a half I've not had a garage at home to park in, and I think it has hastened their demise. I wonder if anyone is selling a reflective sticker to cover the lame DRLs on these headlights. Would that even be legal?

View attachment 708925
Is it possible to access this knob when the headlights are installed in the car?

I would like to move mine a bit further down the road as the range of my high beams is a bit lower than I would like.

I think mine faired well because I was almost always parked in a garage at home or at work. Over the last year and a half I've not had a garage at home to park in, and I think it has hastened their demise.
My mid-2016 MS90D has been parked in garage every night except for the times when I've been on overnight road trips, so somewhere between 5-10% of the time. I had 3 assemblies replaced while under warranty (driver side once, passenger side twice) and my passenger side is yellowing along about 1/3rd of the length at the moment. Personally, I don't think conditions when parked have anything to do with it. The difference in life you've seen probably goes down to basic distribution of why some seem to last longer than others. My current driver side lamp is about twice the life of any of the 3 I've had replaced.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
My mid-2016 MS90D has been parked in garage every night except for the times when I've been on overnight road trips, so somewhere between 5-10% of the time. I had 3 assemblies replaced while under warranty (driver side once, passenger side twice) and my passenger side is yellowing along about 1/3rd of the length at the moment. Personally, I don't think conditions when parked have anything to do with it. The difference in life you've seen probably goes down to basic distribution of why some seem to last longer than others. My current driver side lamp is about twice the life of any of the 3 I've had replaced.
Where’s it parked during the day? It would be the hot sun that I would suspect can speed up the demise of the headlights.

Where’s it parked during the day? It would be the hot sun that I would suspect can speed up the demise of the headlights.
I don't live in an excessively hot climate in central US. I've been on assignment overseas for most of the past 2 years, so combine that with the time I'm in the US I'm in a 100% work from home setting, it spends most of it's time in the day parked inside my garage as well.

Back in the 2018-2019 when I was working from an office in the US, most of the time the car was parked in our corporate parking garage. The locations where I would park were fully shaded, or if sunlight did shine on the car, it was the back of the car, not the headlights.

The bigger factor in my mind is similar environment condition between my driver side headlamp and my passenger side.

Driver side replaced in July 2018 at 32,000 miles.
That current driver side assembly now has 3+ years and 30,000 miles on it with no sign of deterioration​
Passenger side also replaced July 2018 at 32,000 miles.
That assembly was then replaced a second time in Sept 2019 at 49,500 miles, so was deteriorating in just 14 months and 17,000 miles.​
The current passenger assembly now has 2 years and 13,000 miles on it and also showing yellowing.​

So under generally the same environmental conditions, which does not include a lot of time parked outside in sun or excessively hot ambients, my last two passenger side assemblies have lasted only about half as long as my current driver side assembly. That's where I see all of this variation in my case representative of whatever the underlying production variation is that impact life to yellowing/cracking of the LED light tube in the assembly. Just my opinion, and I fully recognize it's that - an opinion. Others are free to have differing opinions/interpretations from the same data.

• Informative
Early 2018 Model S below. 36K miles. Always garaged. US Northwest climate. Almost entire top sections of DRLs are off, the rest is very dim. Scheduled replacement appointment, estimate says $0 so looks covered under warranty. 👍
1631691440960.png

I wonder if the fact that the DRL's are always dimly glowing when parked has anything to do with the wear. When I reported it to Tesla, I was told the glowing was normal.

• Funny
I just had both headlight replaced under the original warranty on the 2018 Model S with sub 40K miles on it. Both eyebrows were >50% burned out. Not just that, in the 2 weeks from making the appointment to actually going there, they noticeably burned out further - I caught it at the right time I guess.