Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
JAN 2017 S75D-nee-S60D high-mileage owner here.

Curious to see if other members with a S (or X) built in this time frame experienced any issues with the DRLs. By DLRs, I mean the "halo" which borders the LED headlight enclosure.

Earlier this year the passenger side DLR partially failed where a portion of the DLR was not illuminated. I suspect one underlying lights (LEDs?) in the DLR strip went out, but never directly asked that question. I observed no other defect in the DLR or headlights at the time. I filed a service request under warranty. A ranger was dispatched by Tesla is anyService, diagnosed the issue, requested the replacement part - an entirely new headlight assembly - and then returned to swap it out when the part came in.

Shrugged it off to Tesla being Tesla and did not think anything more of it until the driver's side DLR did the exact same thing a few weeks ago. Like before, a portion of the DLR halo had gone dim but the headlight itself appeared to be functioning normally. Dropped it off at the SC they replaced the entire driver's side headlight assembly.

I can understand parts breaking but am suspicious the exact same failure occurred twice. This suspicion leads me to question if the supplier Tesla used to provide illumination to the DLRs had a defect in the manufacturing process - hence the thread. Curious to see if any other members with similar late 2016 / early 2017 build S's (or X's) experienced similar issues.

FWIW I've got ~49k on the car and the two part numbers that were replaced were:
  • Drivers Headlight Assembly - HD/LP ASY, SAE UP-LEVEL, RH (1053571- 1 00-D) / Covered by 50k warranty
  • Passenger Headlight Assembly - HD/LP ASY, SAE UP-LEVEL, LH (1053570- 1 00-D) / Covered by 50k warranty
  • Bonus fact: Service said the part cost ~$1.2k + labor (asked as I'm rapidly approaching the 50k mark and debating whether or not I want to extend the warranty).
View attachment 315208
Just curious if anyone has had the assembly replaced under extended warranty? Tesla Service is quoting this issue as Customer Pay.
Thx

Just curious if anyone has had the assembly replaced under extended warranty? Tesla Service is quoting this issue as Customer Pay.
Thx
My 2017 model s headlights was replaced within normal warranty due to eyebrows burning out. It definitely should be a warranty item. Was there an explicit exception for lights in extended warranty?
Regarding why this would not be covered under the extended service agreement, anyone in that situation may want to look closely at the actual language in the agreement. I did not purchase the agreement, but I found a 2017 dated version of the terms and conditions on-line. I see the following under the section F on items that are specifically excluded or not covered.

Other Parts not covered:​
  • Bright metal, sheet metal, bumpers, ornamentation moldings, carpet, upholstery, paint, shock absorbers, 12V battery, battery cables, lenses, light bulbs, sealed beams, glass (e.g., windshield), wheels, interior trim, body seals and gaskets (e.g., weather stripping);
  • Removable soft tops, removable hard tops, glass, plastic, framing, cables, or seals; and
  • Certain individual items associated with the Vehicle, including, but not limited to the Mobile Connector, Wall Connector, any future connectors, and charging adapters;
Also at the beginning under definitions there is this for the definition of failure being a total loss of function.

“Failure” means the complete failure or inability of any covered part to perform the function(s) for which it was designed due to defects in material or workmanship of any parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use. Failure does not include the gradual reduction in operating performance due to normal wear and tear.​
If I were in this situation I would definitely push Tesla to be reasonable, but they may be pointing to the exclusions language that light bulbs and seal beams in this case to refer to the headlamp assembly including the LED brow, or they could be pointing in the case of a fading or yellowing brow as not meeting the definition of total functional failure as the primary function of the headlamp assembly is still functional.

For further reference, here is the copy of the ESA terms and conditions which I've reviewed.

Yesterday I took my MS in for low coolant. Turns out it was a bad three way valve. I saw the invoice said “customer pay.” I ask them why not warranty when I went to pick it up. The guy says “oh, it just defaults to that. Yeah, this is warranty.”:rolleyes: So, maybe don’t get too upset until you actually talk to them

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
Regarding why this would not be covered under the extended service agreement, anyone in that situation may want to look closely at the actual language in the agreement. I did not purchase the agreement, but I found a 2017 dated version of the terms and conditions on-line. I see the following under the section F on items that are specifically excluded or not covered.

Other Parts not covered:​
  • Bright metal, sheet metal, bumpers, ornamentation moldings, carpet, upholstery, paint, shock absorbers, 12V battery, battery cables, lenses, light bulbs, sealed beams, glass (e.g., windshield), wheels, interior trim, body seals and gaskets (e.g., weather stripping);
  • Removable soft tops, removable hard tops, glass, plastic, framing, cables, or seals; and
  • Certain individual items associated with the Vehicle, including, but not limited to the Mobile Connector, Wall Connector, any future connectors, and charging adapters;
Also at the beginning under definitions there is this for the definition of failure being a total loss of function.

“Failure” means the complete failure or inability of any covered part to perform the function(s) for which it was designed due to defects in material or workmanship of any parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use. Failure does not include the gradual reduction in operating performance due to normal wear and tear.​
If I were in this situation I would definitely push Tesla to be reasonable, but they may be pointing to the exclusions language that light bulbs and seal beams in this case to refer to the headlamp assembly including the LED brow, or they could be pointing in the case of a fading or yellowing brow as not meeting the definition of total functional failure as the primary function of the headlamp assembly is still functional.

For further reference, here is the copy of the ESA terms and conditions which I've reviewed.

FWIW I recently had one of my headlights replaced because the DRL had the slightest dimming at the top center. If I was going to pay the $200 I was going to get EVERYTHING fixed that I could. I went over the the car with a fine tooth comb and that was one of the items I included. They replaced the headlight housing and several other things w/o batting an eyelash. This was about two months ago.

Yesterday I took my MS in for low coolant. Turns out it was a bad three way valve. I saw the invoice said “customer pay.” I ask them why not warranty when I went to pick it up. The guy says “oh, it just defaults to that. Yeah, this is warranty.”:rolleyes: So, maybe don’t get too upset until you actually talk to them

True. Sometimes the service manager doesn't realize you have warranty as well. Happened to me. Easily resolved.

FWIW I recently had one of my headlights replaced because the DRL had the slightest dimming at the top center. If I was going to pay the $200 I was going to get EVERYTHING fixed that I could. I went over the the car with a fine tooth comb and that was one of the items I included. They replaced the headlight housing and several other things w/o batting an eyelash. This was about two months ago.
YMMV for folks on this, upthread I noted earlier this year how my drivers' side DRL was noticeably half-dimmed on top center while still on the original 4-year warranty, and mobile service wouldn't replace it because it was "degradation" but not yet "failure" of any of the LED's. Folks on this thread quickly commented on the inevitable failure, which it did do just a few months later post-warranty. Fortunately, because the degradation was photographed and acknowledged by both sides, Tesla was good to treat it as a warranty repair.

But just saying they are not consistent in how they treat moderate dimming before the inevitable failure.

Reactions: _jal_
YMMV for folks on this, upthread I noted earlier this year how my drivers' side DRL was noticeably half-dimmed on top center while still on the original 4-year warranty, and mobile service wouldn't replace it because it was "degradation" but not yet "failure" of any of the LED's. Folks on this thread quickly commented on the inevitable failure, which it did do just a few months later post-warranty. Fortunately, because the degradation was photographed and acknowledged by both sides, Tesla was good to treat it as a warranty repair.

But just saying they are not consistent in how they treat moderate dimming before the inevitable failure.
Good first-hand data for sure and (like most things when dealing with Tesla) YMMV indeed. It would seem that the age old adage "Tesla customer service support is the worst" applies since, once again... the only thing consistent is inconsistency. Never any rhyme or reason to what once service center does when compared to another even in the same city. Tesla is a clown show.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Just had both headlights replaced for the second time under warranty for the yellow eyebrow on my 2018 Model S. One light is now revision F and the other G. Hopefully these versions have fixed the issue.

The original set went bad after about a year and a half. Replacements also lasted about that long before they went bad too. Crossing my fingers on the new set. Although now the passenger side headlight is aimed a lot further down than the other. Evidently service center didn't align the new lights. So I'll need to see what is involved to get access to the adjustment screws.

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude