Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course they are. They just happen to be really expensive.

Again, not grounds for a safety recall.

Incorrect... :cool: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2015/RCSB-15V519-4439.pdf

upload_2019-10-13_8-36-29.png

I presented a clear argument with supporting documents... you, not so much. Time to move on.

So then I’ll ask the question again, directly responding to your “supporting documents”.

Do you really not understand/accept the different safety implications between the intermittent/sudden failure of a control module that completely disables both low beams (i.e. disabling all roadway illumination without warning) and a partially burned out DRL strip?

When my passenger side burned out, it caused my turn signal to fail too. That is definitely a safety issue.

There’s something wrong with the design that’s costing someone a lot of money to warranty. And it’s a fault. It isn’t so many hours have passed, so it’s worn out. They’re obviously not intended to be consumables.

My brand new car is in the shop so I’ve got a loaner. Maybe 2015(?) with the HID lamps. That has a switch under Lights to turn off DRLs. I don’t have my car, but I don’t remember seeing that on either my current car or my 2016. That would be nice to have

Last edited:
Reactions: FlatSix911
...if Tesla doesn't get their act together soon (within 1-2 years), everyone will move on to other EVs once good alternatives are out (maybe except for the die-hard fans).

You said id, sell the stock while you still can. I am sure Hyundai / Kia will have a 300+ mile decent electric sooner rather than later. It will cost me a fraction of my Tesla and the small bits will last longer.

I have a p100dl that was built November 2017. I had both my front lights replaced due to this issue. I think there might be a deeper issue then the headlights.

After replacement, I complained about my headlights (DRL) glowing on the edges when the car is parked and off. I attached the photos for reference.

I just got back from a service center appointment regarding this issue. They have no idea what's wrong. I'm concerned there is a circuit issue causing phantom power which is illuminating the LEDs. Due to incorrect voltage, the LEDs lifespan could be reduced.

If my car goes out of warranty and they dont fix this issue, I'm at risk to constantly replace my headlights. For that reason, Tesla needs to resolve the issue. It seems ethical to acknowledge the issue with a recal and extended warranty for those that are at risk.

Attachments

• 20191016_202225.jpg
    20191016_202225.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 99