Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
12/2016 build here, 36k miles. Just had my partially out passenger side replaced but they refused to replace the yellow drivers side because it was "still in spec". So now my car looks like something is wrong with it. Yay. Do I have any recourse? Pics attached.

IMG_20191115_175039.jpg IMG_20191115_195847.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
12/2016 build here, 36k miles. Just had my partially out passenger side replaced but they refused to replace the yellow drivers side because it was "still in spec". So now my car looks like something is wrong with it. Yay. Do I have any recourse? Pics attached.

View attachment 478440 View attachment 478441

I'd try a different service center too. They seem to be very disorganized so you may get a completely different answer and get it swapped.

I'd try a different service center too. They seem to be very disorganized so you may get a completely different answer and get it swapped.

Thank you for the tip! To clarify, the service center here is experiencing growing pains, but the people are great from what I've seen. They took care of my car and were attentive, friendly, and happy to discuss any questions I had. They just wouldn't budge on the yellowed light, which looked much worse in the dark after I left there.

I just don't think a $120k car should have burnt out or yellowed LED headlights less than 3 years after its manufacture date. I've had cheap Japanese cars with headlights that still looked clean at 8+ years old, so hopefully I'm not nitpicking.

Not in the least. This is a problem and they most certainly should do something about it (not just replace the whole units). I wish I could get my hands on one of these burnt headlights to take it apart and see what's going on...

It's wild that they are replacing these like air filters at their expense instead of developing a revised version that doesn't rapidly deteriorate. Wouldn't it be more cost effective, free up service centers, and prevent Teslas from driving around with cheap looking burnt out exterior lighting? I don't even want to think about when the warranty expires. Hopefully they will fix it before then.

Not in the least. This is a problem and they most certainly should do something about it (not just replace the whole units). I wish I could get my hands on one of these burnt headlights to take it apart and see what's going on...

I read on here somewhere that the issue is not the light but the tube that the light is shining through; something about the tube prematurely breaking down. I mentioned this to the service guy and he seemed to indicate that was correct FWIW.

Update from earlier in the month: I will keep an eye on this thread to see if anything changes but right now I will forego the $1400 plus labor I was quoted to replace the passenger side DRL/headlight assembly. Especially now that the driver's side is starting to go. That would have been $2800 plus labor to fix a cosmetic issue. My car has 56K miles in 2.5 years and the service center passed on the good will replacement request. I drive so much that the extended warranty of an extra 50k miles would have only lasted two years anyway. Otherwise the car is perfect for what I use it for, a 120 mile daily commute. Until something that impacts drivability happens (e.g. the headlight goes out) I will simply put on the miles.

Just picked up my used ‘16 Model S P90DL with 48k miles on it from Tesla. Upon delivery inspection, I found that my driver side LED was yellow and going out compared to the passenger headlight. I notified them right away and they had a service tech come to my house and replace it 4 days later. Although I do believe that they should’ve caught this problem during their pre-inspection of the car, I am glad that I purchased used from Tesla for this exact reason. The 4 years or 50k miles of warranty gives me peace of mind!

Attachments

• 4857A9F8-CA5C-446D-B594-60DFAC300504.jpeg
    4857A9F8-CA5C-446D-B594-60DFAC300504.jpeg
    354.6 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: SteelSully
My 12/17 MS has had both DRL fail in the last segment closest to the center Tesla logo. One side has failed twice. Mobile tech thought they updated the part but it is the same from manufacture two years ago. I wonder if they can fix these units cheaply to keep the hamster wheel going. Love the car and the company but it is disappointing that key features like the distinctive DRLs and MCU are failing just a few years in with no real fix.

Reactions: HollywoodCole
Looks like I'm joining the club. Just got a 07/2016 75D with 40k miles and both headlights have the DRLs half burnt. Exactly the same pattern on both sides.

Not worried, I was expecting this and a mobile tech is coming in a few days to replace them.

20191204_203545.jpg

Reactions: SteelSully

View attachment 478440 View attachment 478441
Give it a few weeks, It’ll burn out completely by then. The passenger side on mine always seems to go yellow, and the driver side goes out completely along the top. I’m on my fifth passenger side replacement, and fourth drivers side replacement.

Note: The passenger side DRL was last replaced Oct 11th 2019 and is being replaced again today Dec 7th 2019. The DRL will go out at random with no correlation to heat, time, or usage.

Update from earlier in the month: I will keep an eye on this thread to see if anything changes but right now I will forego the $1400 plus labor I was quoted to replace the passenger side DRL/headlight assembly. Especially now that the driver's side is starting to go. That would have been $2800 plus labor to fix a cosmetic issue. My car has 56K miles in 2.5 years and the service center passed on the good will replacement request. I drive so much that the extended warranty of an extra 50k miles would have only lasted two years anyway. Otherwise the car is perfect for what I use it for, a 120 mile daily commute. Until something that impacts drivability happens (e.g. the headlight goes out) I will simply put on the miles.

The headlights are fairly simple to replace. I was able to swap the most recent driver side out-of-warranty failure for around 200$ in a single evening. If you do have Tesla do the work you’ll get a one year parts warranty though, which may be valuable depending on how many more will go out in the same car.

Looks like I'm joining the club. Just got a 07/2016 75D with 40k miles and both headlights have the DRLs half burnt. Exactly the same pattern on both sides.

Not worried, I was expecting this and a mobile tech is coming in a few days to replace them.

View attachment 484860

This may be worth noting, looks like my headlights were replaced who knows how many times by the previous owner too. The left one seems fairly new (2017) but it's strange that it seems to have a new sticker over an old one. The right one is older but it does have some what appears to be sharpie notes on it.

Wonder if Tesla just refurbishes these units to avoid R&D and recall costs.

I'll post back with the new ones after these are swapped.

20191206_141105.jpg
20191206_141220.jpg

View attachment 484860

This is what mine look like. Jun2016 with 119000 miles. They have both been replaced under warranty (twice). Wondering what the cost will be now for me with out a warranty. Seems like they were around $2200; is that possible?

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/20191204_203545-jpg.484860/

Out of warranty, paying for a full headlight swap for the burnt DRL makes no sense. There must be a better option.

Turn on range mode and pretend you don't have DRL? Maybe theres a way to disassemble the light and disconnect the DRL if you don't want to use range mode?

I'm not sure why the newer cars don't have a DRL toggle like the older ones do. Are DRL required in the US? I thought they were optional.