Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest FSD - Autosteer not available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dont travel dirt roads and, surprisingly, there are few new routes that I drive. These are all interstate or well painted secondary roads. Mine is a 2018 m3. From the not 18 purchase thru v10 I never had a hint of problem with autosteer and upon fsd beta, it either. What I find interesting is while this issue isn't unique to me (yay) it's not ubiquitous. What make this issue unique to us but not FSD beta testers writ large. Ii was only released to fsd beta testers, correct. I'd think if @dirtytesla or @jameslocke or Swholemarscatalog had it the resolution would be immediate.

Yes, this release, 45.15, is a huge overall improvement. However I've noticed difficulties in it choosing correct lane in advance of left turn at light, overshooting stop line, and still not recognizing "no right turn on red". It o longer over/under shoots turns and slows to a comfortable turn speed so as to not throw occupants into their door.

After a little more time and more failures, it has become obvious what the issue is.
For the last few years, the need to wait for the steering wheel to appear before engaging the automation has become inconsequential, since it was basically there all the time.

But now, the steering wheel just doesn't appear as much with the automation turned off. There are many roads that were once easy to turn on the automation on which the steering wheel may only appear 10-20% of the time.

This is a major regression.
I, frankly haven't even been watching the b&w/color wheel as I could always easily transition to autosteer/fsd. I made a trip an hour ago specifically watching the infamous steering wheel it is often just off when it used to be on, comes on intermittently then flickers off. It is almost like a loose electrical connection but isn't as once you're in autosteer or fsd it is solid. I've also tried to engage AS/FSD only to see the wheel flicker off immediately after getting the 1st chime. MAJOR regression!

You're both right in your own way, but regardless, this is a pretty super-annoying bug. I've been unable to determine any rhyme or reason as to what makes the icon flicker, but once I manage to successfully engage, it stays engaged without issue. This leads me to believe that there aren't any environmental factors at play with the icon, because if there were, I'd expect that it would immediately cancel FSD/autosteer. I had hoped that the .6 update would fix this, but nope. We may be dealing with this one for a while!

Other than that, v11 has been a surprisingly large improvement for me, generally speaking.
That is actually a red herring. I've waited for the colorized wheel and dbl tapped only to three the wheel go b&w with the second tap.

So, enabling the automatic driving only when the wheel appears, which has been a rule for over 4 years, is not a solution?

Sure, there seems to be some regression in the wheel appearing, but this is common for beta releases.
I've seen the wheel blue dbl tapped right stalk only to see the wheel Grey out with second tap. I also see it flicker on/off ALOT! Why is this so selective?

I've seen the wheel blue dbl tapped right stalk only to see the wheel Grey out with second tap. I also see it flicker on/off ALOT! Why is this so selective?

The wheel should be gray when it comes on, blue means that automatic driving is enabled. You don't want to click on blue, because it is already enabled.

This release has regressed a little bit and the car is having some issues determining whether the car is on an acceptable road before allowing you to enable it.
This was a common thing many years ago, which is why I'm so familiar with it.

It's a regression. It's problem. Not much need to worry about something that you can't do anything about.

Now that you know what to look for, all you can do is live with until remediated.
I see an update pending for my car, who knows, it may change.

You are driving a Tesla. The car changes periodically. Many times it's for the better, there's a few that are not as good.

If you want a car that works exactly the same for 20 years, that's not a Tesla

I think It's been fairly repeatable for me. Driving too far left or right in the lane makes the grey wheel icon disappear. Easy enough to test, but difficult to see the pattern if you don't know about it. Narrow lanes of course demand pretty precise centering. It's certainly a change in behavior. Hopefully Tesla will loosen this restriction soon.

It's a regression. It's problem. Not much need to worry about something that you can't do anything about.

Now that you know what to look for, all you can do is live with until remediated.
I see an update pending for my car, who knows, it may change.

You are driving a Tesla. The car changes periodically. Many times it's for the better, there's a few that are not as good.

If you want a car that works exactly the same for 20 years, that's not a Tesla
I've had this car since 11/18 with EAP FSD(NoA). I'm familiar with regression. I spent ~50 yrs in software. Things break, 💩 happens. I've never seen the steering wheel flicker on and off like a loose electrical connection before V11. What's really puzzling is why dirty tesla and James Locke don't have that same issue. FSD worked consistently in V10. My first V11 was 3.3 it's added to 3.4 now 3.6. With this car it's be largely broken for all of V11.

Reactions: VanFriscia
You're both right in your own way, but regardless, this is a pretty super-annoying bug. I've been unable to determine any rhyme or reason as to what makes the icon flicker, but once I manage to successfully engage, it stays engaged without issue. This leads me to believe that there aren't any environmental factors at play with the icon, because if there were, I'd expect that it would immediately cancel FSD/autosteer. I had hoped that the .6 update would fix this, but nope. We may be dealing with this one for a while!

Other than that, v11 has been a surprisingly large improvement for me, generally speaking.
Same here for .6 but seems to be stable on both US Interstate roads and ironically on unlined local roads and city streets. Fully marked streets continue to exhibit erratic on/off behavior. May be related to the code merge. I am able to use TACC routinely.

Reactions: markn455 and wcorey
I've had this car since 11/18 with EAP FSD(NoA). I'm familiar with regression. I spent ~50 yrs in software. Things break, 💩 happens. I've never seen the steering wheel flicker on and off like a loose electrical connection before V11. What's really puzzling is why dirty tesla and James Locke don't have that same issue. FSD worked consistently in V10. My first V11 was 3.3 it's added to 3.4 now 3.6. With this car it's be largely broken for all of V11.
The flickering is a little more rampant, but the turning on and off definitely existed in the early years.

I'm not saying that it isn't a problem, it definitely is.

What I'm saying is that there are several newer drivers that don't even realize that the presence of the wheel is required before enabling automation. They've only seen it over the last year or so where it has just about always been there. It has regressed.

2022.12.15 update. Model S 75D. I've had the problem, I can't engage autosteer when I'm in Chelmsford, MA. The grey steering wheel is off most of the time but flickers occasionally. But when I cross the town line, voila, it works just like it always did. The road is the same, the fog lines and double yellow lines are clear on both sides of the town line and the visualization shows that the car sees them yet the behavior changes right at the town line.

• Informative
Reactions: VanFriscia
I'm on 11.3.6 now and get the 'not available' constantly on the streets. Never on the interstate i dont think.

When it happens, it says it over and over. Pressing the stalk every 3 to 5 seconds. I end up just rapid fire mashing the stalk and it eventually kicks in. Weird...

I'm on 11.3.6 now and get the 'not available' constantly on the streets. Never on the interstate i dont think.

When it happens, it says it over and over. Pressing the stalk every 3 to 5 seconds. I end up just rapid fire mashing the stalk and it eventually kicks in. Weird...
It WILL NOT engage if the steering wheel is not present. Read back through my previous posts.

It WILL NOT engage if the steering wheel is not present. Read back through my previous posts.
Exactly what we are referring to. The issue is that since 11.3 the steering wheel icon is not available or flickering (and therefore FSD cannot be engaged) on the same streets where it was completely available with previous versions. It’s not a matter of not knowing how engaging FSD works.

Exactly what we are referring to. The issue is that since 11.3 the steering wheel icon is not available or flickering (and therefore FSD cannot be engaged) on the same streets where it was completely available with previous versions. It’s not a matter of not knowing how engaging FSD works.
"I" know that, but there are numerous new users that may not.

Learning that the steering wheel exists and what it does can increase the probability of a sucessful engagment.

Yes, I know this isn't optimal. It is what it is until Tesla changes it. But knowing how to live with it can be helpful.

Yea I have seen the same thing recently. Has anyone tried re-installing the firmware and recalibrating the camera? Someone suggested that in another forum. But I'm still looking for some confirmation that it helps before I try it.
Not really sure how you plan on reinstalling the software.

It's a beta regression thing. It has happened before on Tesla and other regressions will occur in the future. There will be an update that fixes it. With the good you sometimes get the bad. Don't want the bad? Then time to switch cars (in which case you won't get the good either)

Just chill.