Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

latest (July) Tesla price changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I gotta say, I'm a bit miffed by all of this and unsure what to do.

If the LR/AWD (non-performance) has been available with free white paint when we first ordered, it's what we'd have got. We ended up with P- in red (which is the dream colour) as it wasn't much more than white (our second choice).

I'm still happy paying for red, as we're settled on that, but the spec is killing me.

Change the order and get the Performance Pack for only ~£500? Or switch to LR/AWD for an enormous saving? I'm honestly not too fussed to skip the spoiler, big uncomfortable wheels, etc... but I feel like a mug paying only £500 less and getting none of those!

Arrrrgh! Why you do this, Tesla?

I faced exactly the same dilemma this morning and modified my order from P- (red) to LR AWD (red) for the saving....which all else remaining the same is £3,100, not to be sniffed at. As well as the saving, I can live with getting to 60mph a second or so slower, I value the few miles extra range and I’m pretty sure insurance will be cheaper without “performance” in the model name. Overall I think that the value of the P- is considerably reduced with the P+ only £500 or so more expensive. It’s effectively been neutered by today’s price changes so I think many will opt for either the LR AWD or P+.

Overall I think that the value of the P- is considerably reduced with the P+ only £500 or so more expensive.

If you happened to have a white P- on order, the P+ is now £900 CHEAPER than the P- was! If they choose to bring the P- option back it will likely be at a further saving of £2,050 (as that is the price showing for the PUP upgrade in my new order agreement).

I gotta say, I'm a bit miffed by all of this and unsure what to do.

If the LR/AWD (non-performance) has been available with free white paint when we first ordered, it's what we'd have got. We ended up with P- in red (which is the dream colour) as it wasn't much more than white (our second choice).

I'm still happy paying for red, as we're settled on that, but the spec is killing me.

Change the order and get the Performance Pack for only ~£500? Or switch to LR/AWD for an enormous saving? I'm honestly not too fussed to skip the spoiler, big uncomfortable wheels, etc... but I feel like a mug paying only £500 less and getting none of those!

Arrrrgh! Why you do this, Tesla?
Tesla obviously decided that their Admin team had too much time on their hands ;)

As for your car, it really depends if you *really* want the performance of the P+. If not, save the money on a LR AWD. It’ll certainly be the fastest car I’ve ever owned. I can certainly see why people want it though if they’ve been used to a Porsche or whatever. The P+ will also cost a bit more to insure each year. I’m with you on the colour, we’ve always had the red on order. I can’t be tempted by the white even with a £1950 saving. This is my dream car. It’s only money :rolleyes:

I am just wondering if there is a price reduction for the P-lite too. After all, the P-lite is the AWD LR with the performance upgrade. So assuming the upgrade stays the same, we should get a same reduction as per AWD LR. Logically. But will logic work with Tesla?
I prefer the P- without the 20" wheels.

I am just wondering if there is a price reduction for the P-lite too. After all, the P-lite is the AWD LR with the performance upgrade. So assuming the upgrade stays the same, we should get a same reduction as per AWD LR. Logically. But will logic work with Tesla?
Almost certainly not. Tesla will happily deliver what you’ve ordered, at the price you ordered it at, or let you change to one of the new configurations and save whatever. I’ll be amazed if they offer a reduction on the P- By all means prove me wrong though - ring them and let us know how you get on.

• Disagree
Reactions: WannabeOwner

I spoke to my contact in Edinburgh today and was basically told that I could change my order (via [email protected]) or I could stick with what I've got. I asked if they would be offering a price reduction on P-, and he told me they wouldn't. He was very understanding and certainly seemed to be busy this morning (I wonder why?)

He said that everything is in place for us to get a delivery 'soon' (August) - presumably he can see the VIN that I can only see in my source code. Said changing the order would almost certainly affect delivery date.

I'm tempted to erase the last 6 hours from my brain, log off the forum, and pretend the price change didn't happen. I was perfectly happy with my choices (including the price) until I woke up this morning.

A bit of a no-brainer to upgrade to P+ at the new price, especially if you like Pearl White (actually £900 cheaper than a P- in white). I didn't particularly want 20" wheels for added road noise and a harsher ride, but I think I'll live with them at this reduced price and the upgraded brakes and Track Mode are nice to have.

Or downgrade to the now cheaper LR AWD if you don't want batshit fast acceleration!
Enjoy your new wheels...! ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W. and dst87
Yeah I watched that video too and does leave me worried about the Surrey potholes.. even the ones on the M25...

Talking about wheels - wonder is the 18” aeros are protected against curbing?? More recessed with the wall of the tire protecting the rim? (With the plastic aero wheel caps removed of course)

No, I've been holding my order back by not completing finance and registration details. I specifically want a September+ delivery. You will have to call them if your edit button has disappeared. I had that happen to me earlier in the process when I changed from P+ to P- in the last price confusion!
That's an interesting strategy. You could be pushed into October doing that? Why wouldn't you just confirm the order? You don't have to take delivery when they say so, you can ask for a later VIN match up to the week before delivery and delay at that point. Also, you don't need the edit button on your Manage page to alter the spec. You just call/email them. They may not get back to you on the same day, but they will for sure call you to discuss the change as they would be unable to confirm your delivery due to your request for a change.

So I just went ahead and changed my config to the standard pearl white SR+ using the link trick. Got a new order agreement 30 seconds later

*Price excludes the UK Government Plug-In Grant of £3,500

Don't know if that affects my delivery day (probably does), but since I got no source code vin or a phone call I doubt I was on the August boat anyway.

I'm tempted to erase the last 6 hours from my brain, log off the forum, and pretend the price change didn't happen. I was perfectly happy with my choices (including the price) until I woke up this morning.

In exactly the same boat. I was happy before with the monthlies and my choice. I have multiple long trips planned across the UK and need the car as soon as possible.

Sticking with P- for the smaller wheels mainly, cheaper tyres and easier to replace if I need to.
I also park in London a lot and don't fancy advertising the fact (at a glance) that a Tesla performance model 3 is sat parked on the street..

Oh and I have a VIN in source code I don't want to lose!

In exactly the same boat. I was happy before with the monthlies and my choice. I have multiple long trips planned across the UK and need the car as soon as possible.

Sticking with P- for the smaller wheels mainly, cheaper tyres and easier to replace if I need to.
I also park in London a lot and don't fancy advertising the fact (at a glance) that a Tesla performance model 3 is sat parked on the street..

Oh and I have a VIN in source code I don't want to lose!

Yup - all of the above applies to me too (except living in London). VIN in source and I don't want to lose my (according to Tesla) August delivery. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Perhaps the P- will become highly valuable and sought-after in the long term... Wishful thinking!

That's an interesting strategy. You could be pushed into October doing that? Why wouldn't you just confirm the order? You don't have to take delivery when they say so, you can ask for a later VIN match up to the week before delivery and delay at that point. Also, you don't need the edit button on your Manage page to alter the spec. You just call/email them. They may not get back to you on the same day, but they will for sure call you to discuss the change as they would be unable to confirm your delivery due to your request for a change.

I don't mind an October delivery and definitely don't want August as we're on holiday for 2 weeks and I would rather have a new September plate by then to maximise the residual later on. Originally I was holding on to see what PCP options would pop up, but now decided on 3 year HP to keep the finance cost down. Then I was waiting for the free white option after Elon announced it, which has now finally popped up. Last time I called them it was the best part of an hour wasted on the phone, so glad I didn't finalise my order this time. I probably will complete my online paperwork now as I can't see any further changes on the horizon - except maybe a P- option again!

Perhaps the P- will become highly valuable and sought-after in the long term... Wishful thinking!

Actually far more likely to be re-introduced very soon as an option for £2k less than a P+ at the revised pricing. The performance upgrade pack is showing as a line item at £2,050 on my new purchase agreement after upgrading from P- to P+

Since I ordered white, my P+ is now £900 cheaper than my P- was at the old price, so I think you can expect to lose out on residuals if you stick with the old P- pricing. Regardless of the worse ride quality, noise and kerbing, most people are still drawn to the bigger wheels! I might well acquire a set of 19" sport wheels if I think the ride is too harsh or look at aftermarket 18s.