Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Price Drop Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
and i agree that the Model S has depreciated faster than I thought it would. (ditto for the X) the jury is still out on the 3.. but I suspect in time the 3 will also not hold it's value as new technology comes out to surpass it.

It's well documented that Tesla's retain their value much better than fossil cars in the same price range. So I don't know what you are talking about there!

My thread at Tesla pricing - inverse piramid just got frozen but I think it adds a unique and practical angle to the problem op raised. It boils down to the fact that estimating cost of ownership at the time of purchase for Tesla is much harder, almost impossible, compared to most other brands, and that it results in many people not being satisfied with their purchase and not buying second Tesla. People that want to feel good about their important purchases.
(Typed on a phone)

It's well documented that Tesla's retain their value much better than fossil cars in the same price range. So I don't know what you are talking about there!

It’s the same. Tesla’s resale value is overblown.

Our 24-month old used X directly from Tesla cost us just a little more than 50% of original sticker price.

The 3 has yet to come down, but it will soon when:
1. The price reductions get factored into used market.
2. The 3 becomes supposedly less supply-constrained as they pick up their manufacturing.
3. The Model Y starts selling.

What do you think Tesla is offering on trade-ins of 1-, 2-, and 3-year old Tesla’s? Nothing different from an ICE dealer. You can go ask for an appraisal by Tesla of your own if you don’t believe it.

I expect Tesla to come down in price to compete with every one else.

LOL!

You must know of some planned new EV models that I haven't heard of yet that are going to compete with Tesla on features, performance and price. The only true competition for Tesla so far is from fossil powered cars and they can only compete on price, not on features and performance. And that's why Tesla has been lowering prices. Most people can't spend $60,000 on a car. Tesla wants everyone to be able to own a compelling EV.

You are living in an alternate reality if you think the fossil manufacturers are going to be releasing competitive EVs as soon as next year. I wish it were true, but it's not.

Reactions: jgs and EinSV

In my thread Tesla pricing - inverse piramid that just got frozen I guessed that I can sell my car for 55% of the cash I paid for it new 8 month back. And I did try to time my purchase based on the history of price and trim changes to minimize my cost of ownership. I was hoping, based on the fact that I am buying a new platform and that the cars are reliable and have fewer parts, that I will be able to sell the car for about 40% of its cost after 6 years of ownership. I don't see it is happening anymore. I was never off with my cost of ownership estimates for my previous cars. Are you calling this "retain their value much better than fossil cars in the same price range"?

Apart from the stronger rear motor, Tesla P’s barely have anything differentiating a P (or PL) from even the cheapest, most basic trims. Some may like that sleeper type, but I think most do not.

Agreed, I was on the fence for a while before I pulled the trigger because I thought the P did not have enough differentiation to set it apart for the money. But once it got down to 60k - $3750 rebate it was close enough. I still wish it had mag ride suspension for the difference in price.

Reactions: KSilver2000
Again someone telling Elon Musk how to run a business. Can you please post your credentials on running a billion dollar corporation?

I have a feeling, his is going to be stronger.... I think he is more qualified to set the prices on Tesla cars than scubastevo80 from New Jersey.
This isn't about Elon's credentials or you regurgitating the same question to everyone who isn't as giddy as you. The fact is that Elon said prices would go up and that early adopters would benefit, and delivered the opposite (via price decreases). That was not transparent to reservation holders and potential buyers. If I thought I could get the car cheaper, I would have waited 6 months.

If you understand supply and demand, then you should have understood that prices would likely decrease as efficiencies increase.
What other public tech or new company decreases prices with increases in efficiencies? Apple doesn't decrease phone prices as they make more of them. People that purchase items via Kickstarter campaigns pay less the earlier they get in. While this isn't apples to apples, it's odd that a $100-200k future robi taxi would be coming down in price. As a shareholder, I also concerned that margin's are potentially going down with lower sales prices.

Look - at the end of the day, I'm happy with my car and with the price I paid, but I'm not happy with the messaging from the CEO - but I realize now that's what you get with Elon, love it or hate it.

Reactions: Lobstahz
Agreed, I was on the fence for a while before I pulled the trigger because I thought the P did not have enough differentiation to set it apart for the money. But once it got down to 60k - $3750 rebate it was close enough. I still wish it had mag ride suspension for the difference in price.

I wish all Tesla P’s has that. Have you driven a car with mag suspension? My in-laws have an ATS. Best damn suspension for both casual and weekend driving hands and feet down. And, knock on wood, not a single issue after 5-6 years going on. OMG, I can only dream all my cars had that.

I wish all Tesla P’s has that. Have you driven a car with mag suspension? My in-laws have an ATS. Best damn suspension for both casual and weekend driving hands and feet down. And, knock on wood, not a single issue after 5-6 years going on. OMG, I can only dream all my cars had that.
yeah, although the air suspension is nice to clear steep driveways, it doesn't do anything for the ride itself and the ride is too soft for me. Wish there was a viable option to make it stiffer.

What other public tech or new company decreases prices with increases in efficiencies? Apple doesn't decrease phone prices as they make more of them. People that purchase items via Kickstarter campaigns pay less the earlier they get in. While this isn't apples to apples, it's odd that a $100-200k future robi taxi would be coming down in price. As a shareholder, I also concerned that margin's are potentially going down with lower sales prices.

Look - at the end of the day, I'm happy with my car and with the price I paid, but I'm not happy with the messaging from the CEO - but I realize now that's what you get with Elon, love it or hate it.

I get your point, but the fact is that Tesla has been pretty transparent that they were fronting their ramp up and production costs with high prices and margins on the first vehicles purchased. They've done it with every model. They also had the federal tax credit to deal with. They were able to use that to inflate prices beyond where the market would have dictated and created more margin for themselves. It's highly likely that you would have seen lower initial prices without the incentives. The same things happening with Chevy Bolts now that they are phasing out. With lower incentives, deals are now available.

Sure Apple doesn't decrease phone prices now because there is demand for the product. But they did with the first iPhone. Apple also has significant other revenue streams to support the upfront production and R&D costs. It's not a great comparison.

Tesla also has to build nearly the entirety of the demand not only for all their models, but for EVs in general. They've decided the 3 will be the mass market EV. In order to do that, they have to price it accordingly. With tax rebates phasing out, they can't keep prices stagnant.

I agree 100% with you regarding Musk.

Why would it be a joke? Cars are not investments or appreciating assets. There are some corner cases where rare cars have appreciated. But, adjusted for inflation and compared against putting the same money in the stock market, almost no cars have been a wise investment.
Sorry, it's just that the CEO of Tesla literally said Tesla's will appreciate up to 100K or even 200K.

• Funny
Reactions: Galve2000

Indeed, I have owned both a Camaro and Corvette Grand Sport with magnetic ride dampers. Great technology. You can go from comfort to feeling every little ripple in the road with the turn of a knob. It cuts down on the body roll and feels like two different cars.

Reactions: KSilver2000