Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Price Drop Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
7.2k difference as well.

View attachment 432791

You got AP for 3k months before they began selling just AP? How'd you do that?

If you meant EAP, that was 5k, and you'd need to add 6k for FSD to the new car to be equivalent in current features as I mentioned.

You also appear to have gotten only about half the $7500 2018 tax credit you should've been entitled to take?

Well, you still have to account for FUSC that you got and new buyers don't....if you valued it like Tesla did during the P refunds that'd drop your difference to ~2300 bucks.

Yes, this is a special bonus for basically me and a VERY small number of other people. You had to bridge a 5-week window between ordering and delivery. This was not the norm.

But I understand why you might disagree since in theory "future" features will come free to the new car but not the old EAP only one.... so you don't need the 3k FSD on the old car for TODAYS apples to apples but might for tomorrows apples.

Agreed, that is why I am comparing with FSD (it makes it easier to compare tomorrow's apples). Yes, I do think it is not fair when doing a comparison to say that I "effectively have FSD." I mean, I do right now, I understand. But that will not be the case in a year, presumably. So yes, right now the value difference small (you could say ~$4k rather than $7.3k I think), but only because Tesla has not released any of the FSD features that I would not be eligible for. That gap will at some point widen.

Whomever is working on the presentation layer isn’t usually the DBA. Programming is specialized - working on a UX component doesn’t mean you’re working on AI training. One has literally nothing to do with the other.

Golly gee, I never would have guessed that. Thanks! Your view of what they are doing is possible but no more possible than mine. Embedded in my comment was the belief writing 1980 video games is a monumental waste of resources regardless of who did it. Their development budget should be 100% focused on FSD and getting GA quality on (E)AP.

As an aside, I can make Linux sing and do back flips too as well as write mobile apps (so long as they are Android). So be of good cheer, you have something to look forward too! :)

I bought my LR AWD in April.

That configuration, today, is $53,990 + $1200 dest fee = $55,190.

I paid, in April, $56,000 + $1200 = $57,200.

That’s a drop of $2,010. Factoring in the $1,875 adjustment in the fed tax rebate, I would’ve saved $135.00 by placing an order today. No adjustment in sales tax, since EVs are exempt in NJ anyway.

Instead of waiting, I’ve been driving the thing for 4,628 miles, for a net cost of 2.9 cents per mile. Totally hosed myself there!! How dare they. </sarcasm>

Reactions: liuping
Golly gee, I never would have guessed that. Thanks! Your view of what they are doing is possible but no more possible than mine. Embedded in my comment was the belief writing 1980 video games is a monumental waste of resources regardless of who did it. Their development budget should be 100% focused on FSD and getting GA quality on (E)AP.

As an aside, I can make Linux sing and do back flips too as well as write mobile apps (so long as they are Android). So be of good cheer, you have something to look forward too! :)

Wait.. are you under the impression Tesla developed those atari games from scratch or something?

All that is off-the-shelf stuff that already exists, and has for years. Pretty much the only "development" involved would be the menu/launcher for the emulator...and I guess adding controller drivers (which also are off the shelf).

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
You do realize as Apple releases new or revised versions of iPhones the previous versions lower in price. My phone and my sons phone are the same. His bought a year after mine was $200 cheaper.
Bought my x & first day I could drive it legally in Louisiana price dropped $6000. I believe it would be in Tesla’s interest to make Price drop less painful for the existing customer.Allow a certain percentage of that price to Drop to purchase FSD, cred for free charges,Future discount on a new purchase. I would buy a model three tomorrow for my wife if I could get credit for the price drop on my x I just bought. Tie the price drop credit to the time since you made purchase Step change always upsets the process.

7.2k difference as well.

View attachment 432791

Guess I should have done this a while back to help track, so many fewer words! So the final delta is $7k-$8k, or $2-3k less if you want to give me a $5k price bonus for the value of my unicorn FUSC (most people would not be able to claim that $5k bonus).

Here is my comparison:
Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 11.32.43 AM.png

I think the 1k insurance cost is only valid if you wouldn't have insured a different car somehow...if you would have then any cost diff on the insurance could figure in I guess but you'd need to add the ~9 months depreciation on that other car you'd have taken hanging on to the thing.

I bought my LR AWD in April.
That's exactly what I have...in MCR. Did you have to go to Mt Kisco to pickup? It was a tedious ride from NE CT through Hartford, past Danville Prison (Club Fed) but the ride back was way more fun. I left here at around 2pm for a 4:30 appt (got there 4:10pm), didn't get processed until after 9pm and was coming back about 11:30pm. Once I got on I-684 I pulled over to breakdown lane to restart w/EAP. It was, as I recall, on the first version of NoA. This was Nov 7.

That's exactly what I have...in MCR. Did you have to go to Mt Kisco to pickup? It was a tedious ride from NE CT through Hartford, past Danville Prison (Club Fed) but the ride back was way more fun. I left here at around 2pm for a 4:30 appt (got there 4:10pm), didn't get processed until after 9pm and was coming back about 11:30pm. Once I got on I-684 I pulled over to breakdown lane to restart w/EAP. It was, as I recall, on the first version of NoA. This was Nov 7.

I picked mine up in Paramus NJ. I had a 10am appointment on Saturday. Took the family out for breakfast at the Maywood pancake house; and then on the way home, pulled into the Tesla lot. Told my son (12yo) we were “just looking” .... when they came out and greeted me, he just couldn’t stop laughing and, well, bouncing with joy.

Really great delivery experience, too. Paperwork was super easy, the vehicle was washed, detailed, fully charger and ready to go. Our DA spent a little over an hour with us reviewing the car, showing my wife the ins and outs. Then, she got back in her Enclave, and followed me home. Was home before noon.

Only thing that would’ve made it a better drive home would’ve been leaving the Enclave behind and her driving a Model X behind me!

No prisons were passed on my drive home - I did, however, make one mistake. Got on the Garden State Parkway, and forgot I didn’t have an EZpass transponder. Oops. Got that photo in the mail and was able to just file the violation appeal online with my account number. :)

9CD15B41-8D73-4278-8509-4B19DE0D751C.jpeg

Uh, didn't I already show you the math here?

So $11,500 difference from your quote to what you paid last year.

But you got a $5000 FUSC refund and $5625 larger tax credit and a $200 lower destination fee, and $350 in free items no longer included (Homelink, 14-50, phone cables) so that's $11,175 less than your "on paper" price.

Meaning a new one is only $325 cheaper than yours- and you almost certainly saved more than that in gas savings driving an EV since last year.

(You also possibly got free lifetime connectivity depending when your order, not delivery, date was, but YMMV on that).

Yes the one now comes with the 20" wheels "free" but those wheels suck. They're heavy and far more prone to pothole damage compared to the 18s. Either way though the difference is vastly smaller than many folks are suggesting.

.. you are forgetting larger brakes, better rims, spoiler, faster top speed, in addition to the larger more expensive tires. What would it cost me to get those things today added to my car? I'll agree the price differential is below what I originally estimated, but it is certainly well above your $325. Anyway the point I was trying to make from beginning was that the early adopter who went for the top premium version is the buyer who has a gripe. We've beat this discussion to death, appreciate the feedback. It's much more fun to talk about all the positive Tesla things. Looking forward to my next software update.

Last edited:
I think the 1k insurance cost is only valid if you wouldn't have insured a different car somehow...if you would have then any cost diff on the insurance could figure in I guess but you'd need to add the ~9 months depreciation on that other car you'd have taken hanging on to the thing.

Fair enough. I added that for completeness. For me, I have a super cheap Spark EV lease ($75/mo) which is still ongoing (finishes in September). And I had to hang onto it until June 1st to get another SDG&E $850 carbon credit (I got $2550 total credit on my electric bill), and through March to avoid CA clawing back the CVRP credit (30 months holding required). So I have to insure it and pay for it. The Tesla insurance is 3x as expensive as the Spark EV though. (I need to explore other insurance options now. I have a claim-free 24-year record so paying $1500 a year for insurance on the Tesla seems a bit silly.)

Technically, the vehicle the Tesla replaced was the Subaru pictured. It was no longer really depreciating as far as I can tell. Catastrophic depreciation due to engine failure was a possibility that I avoided by selling it. Neglecting that, I guess I should look at the difference in the cost of insurance on that (it was very low due to the very low number of miles I was putting on it) vs. the Tesla. Less than $1k difference but not much less.

Anyway, all the numbers are there now. With the exception of my significant error on the Destination & Delivery charge, it all pretty much aligns with my original claim of a $10k difference (which was incorrect due to that $1200 + $100 tax omission).

Last edited:
I picked mine up in Paramus NJ. I had a 10am appointment on Saturday. Took the family out for breakfast at the Maywood pancake house; and then on the way home, pulled into the Tesla lot. Told my son (12yo) we were “just looking” .... when they came out and greeted me, he just couldn’t stop laughing and, well, bouncing with joy.

Really great delivery experience, too. Paperwork was super easy, the vehicle was washed, detailed, fully charger and ready to go. Our DA spent a little over an hour with us reviewing the car, showing my wife the ins and outs. Then, she got back in her Enclave, and followed me home. Was home before noon.

Only thing that would’ve made it a better drive home would’ve been leaving the Enclave behind and her driving a Model X behind me!

No prisons were passed on my drive home - I did, however, make one mistake. Got on the Garden State Parkway, and forgot I didn’t have an EZpass transponder. Oops. Got that photo in the mail and was able to just file the violation appeal online with my account number. :)
Way better experience than mine. I didn't even get a full charge, cheap bastards!!! They charged it to 180miles and the drive home was 128 miles. Back then NoA largely sucked. I realize there are some that think it still does. My wife, who I was emailing with told me to just tell them I was going home and it was on them to get the car to me. I was pretty sure they'd sell it to someone else and keep my deposit as I never completed delivery. Oh...that was the second car they shipped me. The first was last Sept but they shipped it to Massachusetts. MA cannot, by law, sell the car to someone in CT. I was hoping they would reroute the car. nope. I even had them write in in my conversation history DO NOT SHIP TO MA. nope. It probably worked out for the best, having a pre end of Q3 car is likely similar to what we used to car a "Monday car", the folks in Detroit were likely hungover when they assembled it. And, sure enough now it comes out some Model 3s were finished with electrical tape rather than spacers. So I got an October built car.

.. you are forgetting larger brakes, better rims, spoiler, faster top speed, in addition to the larger more expensive tires. What would it cost me to get those things today added to my car? I'll agree the price differential is below what I originally estimated, but it is certainly well above your $325. Anyway the point I was trying to make from beginning was that the early adopter who went for the top premium version is the buyer who has a gripe. We've beat this discussion to death, appreciate the feedback. It's much more fun to talk about all the positive Tesla things. Looking forward to my next software update.

They're not better rims though- they're significantly worse rims. Heavier and more easily damaged- and without even the benefit of being able to use wider tires. If I were a P buyer and the 20s were the default I'd have paid more to not get them.

Likewise the brakes aren't "better" unless you actually plan to track the car- since they heavily limit the # of aftermarket wheels you can use, make spare tires a pain in the rear, and will cost more to repair if they ever need it- all in exchange for no actual street use benefit at all, and inferior track performance compared to 3rd party brake upgrades from say MPP.

Both cars get the faster top speed FYI--- see this post among many confirming that-
P3D+ vs. P3D- Top Speed

The tires are better though- you got me there. ~1k to put the same ones on the better 18" rims the P3D- comes with, and sell the otherwise new MXM4s to someone else to get most of that cost back.

On the other hand you're in NJ- you get snow. So probably summer performance tires aren't ideal for you year round.... another reason the "regular" brakes are a win here- you can afford cheap snow rims a lot easier than if you were stuck with the hub lip on the P3D+

Reactions: dmurphy
Or, include $2-3K worth of FSD and raise the car price by $6k-$8k. I've also seen tweets where once FSD is GA, the price will dramatically rise, hence 'appreciating asset'. What Tesla will do in 6-18 months or what Musk will do, who knows. I suspect their view changes on a daily basis. Who knows, perhaps Musk will get bored with Tesla and concentrate on a Mars shot.
FSD has already gone up a grand.

What are the requirements for this FUSC buyback? I'm sort of going along with the point that I have to factor it in, but I don't even understand if it was ever truly available to me, and is it still?

If you purchased recently it doesn't matter. It's only a factor for people who ordered their Performance vehicle prior to ~September 18th, 2018.