Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Price Drop Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You got a $5000 refund if you gave up FUSC.

* For completeness, you could not get this refund if you already got the $5k price reduction applied to the purchase price of the vehicle, which occurred for P3D+ buyers who ordered before September 18th but took delivery after the October 26th price reduction. But obviously you effectively get the $5k and keep the FUSC. For P3D Stealth buyers I don't know what happened to their purchase price on their contract in this case - probably nothing - I think they either kept the FUSC or got the refund, but not both - unless perhaps they changed their vehicle order to the P3D+, Tesla probably would have honored the new pricing and the FUSC if the buyer had done that. I know of no such examples, though presumably a few exist.

Last edited:
* For completeness, you could not get this refund if you already got the $5k price reduction applied to the purchase price of the vehicle, which occurred for P3D+ buyers who ordered before September 18th but took delivery on/after the October 26th price reduction. But obviously you effectively get the $5k and keep the FUSC. For P3D Stealth buyers I don't know what happened to their purchase price on their contract in this case - probably nothing.
Who got to keep FUSC? I took delivery in august and had to lose mine.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Who got to keep FUSC? I took delivery in august and had to lose mine.

Uh-oh. Cat is out of the bag. ;) This has been covered elsewhere in the flowchart on the several hundred page thread on the 5k refund (you can probably search and find it). It's the "super-gifted" class of people who got to keep it (see criteria described above). Not looking that gifted now with the price reduction, though of course it is still of some value vs. others who are not in that class. For me, the value so far in 7000 miles of driving has been $0. I can thank my rolled-curb driveway for the super-gifted classification, in any case.

This may not be 100% accurate (for example the actual order cutoff ended up being Sept 18th), but here you go:
Flowchart

EDIT: Never mind, this chart seems good.

Last edited:
I wonder what Tesla thinks when they read these price threads. :) They must be like, our mix it up pricing plan is working, they need to analyze the data six ways from Sunday to try and make sense of it all.

The bottom line is the car costs less today than it did a year ago. You can say it came with this and came with that but you had to pay for those things whether you wanted them or not.

I bought 7 weeks ago and all I wanted was the M3P in Black with White interior.
  • June - $59,990 + $1,000 (Interior) + $1,200 (delivery) - $3,750 (tax credit) = $58,440
  • July - $54,990 + $1,000 (Interior) + $750 (Black Paint) + $1200 (delivery) - $1,875 (tax credit) = $56,065
Same car is $2,375 less a month later. Luckily, I made it just in time for Homelink ($300), which I wanted. So, figure $2,075 delta in my specific scenario. I had no sales tax delta since I traded a car with Tesla for same money.

They're not better rims though- they're significantly worse rims. Heavier and more easily damaged- and without even the benefit of being able to use wider tires. If I were a P buyer and the 20s were the default I'd have paid more to not get them.

Bingo. Precisely why I “only” have an LR AWD in my driveway, and not a P.

Even the chatter about a software-unlock for the LR AWD holds no appeal. For me, the extra acceleration on the P is just a parlor trick. The LR AWD is plenty fast for anything and everything I’m going to do with it. I don’t track, I don’t race ... zero interest.

LR AWD hit the sweet spot for me. Just have to make a winter tire decision before, well, winter. I work from home and done go anywhere in really bad weather. The all season 18s should be fine. We’ll see how it feels when it gets cold.

Reactions: VQTRVA
I bought my LR AWD in April.

That configuration, today, is $53,990 + $1200 dest fee = $55,190.

I paid, in April, $56,000 + $1200 = $57,200.

That’s a drop of $2,010. Factoring in the $1,875 adjustment in the fed tax rebate, I would’ve saved $135.00 by placing an order today. No adjustment in sales tax, since EVs are exempt in NJ anyway.

Instead of waiting, I’ve been driving the thing for 4,628 miles, for a net cost of 2.9 cents per mile. Totally hosed myself there!! How dare they. </sarcasm>

Similar story here.

Bought a 3D in late March for $50.3K OTD no AP but have Homelink* & 14-50 charging cable* & Tax Credit of $3750.
Same specs today: $51.3K OTD includes AP + Tax Credit of $1875.

*kudos to dmurphy for reminding me of this.*

Ergo net of taxes: Mine = $46.6K vs. Current: $49.4K = Delta of $2825 in my favor.

To normalize this comp even further I would have to spend that $2825 savings plus add $25 to get AP which incidentally cost $3000....

Really? $25 to get my blood boiling?? To have less hair???

Hell no - 5300 miles later, I don't care since I am paying 1/3 what I would be paying for gas & having a kickass time driving it.

Last edited:
I feel the same about FSD. Folks are paying big money for Summon and Auto Park, which are parlor tricks to me.
Summons and AutoPark ARE palor tricks but neither is FSD. We haven't seen FSD yet.
When you see stop signs show up, and even better be observed, that's FSD.
When you see stop lights show up, and even better, be observed, that's FSD.
When you see a railroad crossing show up, and even better, be observed, that's FSD.
When you see your car choose the right path at a 4-way stop (after resuming), that's FSD.
When your car drops you off in front of the mall and goes and parks itself then return to where it left you off, that's FSD.
Feature Complete doesn't mean we'll see it this year, it just means it will be forth coming. Maybe we will see it this year, maybe Jan or Feb but I am confident we'll see it very soon. Ya know, when Musk talks about end of year, remember his car has the developer version of FSD running. He knows every time he gets behind the wheel where it is and how far it has yet to go. I tend to believe him.

I also believe Musk when he says once FSD shows up the price (either of the car or FSD) will go up precipitously. I believe him, and (universal) you should as well.

Whoops! I said above I was $135 behind the 8-ball by buying in April, but I realized that’s not true!

I have Homelink, the NEMA 14-50 adapter and charging cables. Those alone are another $350, putting me $215 ahead of the game!

So, am I supposed to write Tesla a check or something?
No No No...I will DM you my address. Send it to me. I'll even publicly thank you for it.
OH...I just got 2019.24.4 today and rear camera contrast kicks butt and Homelink is working better on closing a door after you leave. It hasn't worked right since Nov except very sporadically.

For me, the extra acceleration on the P is just a parlor trick.
Couldn't agree more. 0-60 in 3.1 secs vs 4.5 secs...only the most really anal will care and they paid $10,000+ extra for it. You and I have the same car. I got the AWD because we have a 260' driveway which is likely at a 35 degree incline. My Prius spent more than one night at the foot of the driveway because after 11 tries I gave up trying. I watched my wife go into an uncontrolled 360 spin going down the driveway....enough.

• Funny
Couldn't agree more. 0-60 in 3.1 secs vs 4.5 secs...

It's 3.1 vs 4.0

Tesla, dishonestly, uses two different ways of measuring 0-60, one for P cars and one for non-P cars, to make the Ps look better in comparison than they really are.

When 3rd party sources test both the same way it's 3.1 vs 4.0 (post 5% power update anyway)

only the most really anal will care and they paid $10,000+ extra for it.

Between 4-6k extra for last years P3D- owners who took the refund.

Only 2k more for this years P3D- owners (and future buyers as long as they keep offering it)

No No No...I will DM you my address. Send it to me. I'll even publicly thank you for it.
OH...I just got 2019.24.4 today and rear camera contrast kicks butt and Homelink is working better on closing a door after you leave. It hasn't worked right since Nov except very sporadically.

Great to hear! I won’t get it until I get home later in the week at the earliest but that’s good news. And THAT is one of those intangibles you can’t put a price on ....

The last time I asked GM about adding or fixing a feature, the answer was “buy next year’s model.”

I can’t quantify just how happy it makes me to have a software-defined car!

Couldn't agree more. 0-60 in 3.1 secs vs 4.5 secs...only the most really anal will care and they paid $10,000+ extra for it. You and I have the same car. I got the AWD because we have a 260' driveway which is likely at a 35 degree incline. My Prius spent more than one night at the foot of the driveway because after 11 tries I gave up trying. I watched my wife go into an uncontrolled 360 spin going down the driveway....enough.

Terrifying. Truly. I’ve come out and found our Enclave in the middle of the street after an ice storm. It’s not a steep slope - at all - but just enough. To make it worse, we have pavers which tend to get slick I guess.

Now I use a set of rubber wheel chocks whenever they’re calling for snow or ice.

On the other hand, the 3.2s are real but FSD is not.

On my car, the FSD package includes NoA, lane changes, summon and auto park ... all of which exist today. So it’s very much real.

Either way, doesn’t matter, I paid for it, I’m happy I did, and that’s that.

It's 3.1 vs 4.0

Tesla, dishonestly, uses two different ways of measuring 0-60, one for P cars and one for non-P cars, to make the Ps look better in comparison than they really are.

When 3rd party sources test both the same way it's 3.1 vs 4.0 (post 5% power update anyway)

Between 4-6k extra for last years P3D- owners who took the refund.

Only 2k more for this years P3D- owners (and future buyers as long as they keep offering it)

Of course a 0.9 second to 60 is a HUMONGOUS difference in performance terms. About 3-4 car lengths...

Reactions: raptor5244
To call “FSD” in it’s current incarnation “real” is like saying a promised lavish feast is real because there’s a saltine cracker on the table without anything else yet. And the table’s been set with pictures of a feast since 2016.

To top it off, you have to be careful eating it because it can kill you.

• Funny
You know, if you have to say it... Try bringing this attitude into the real world. Maybe go and ridicule your friends who went underwater on their mortgage after the 2008 crash. Explain to the them that prices change and that you don't complain that your old TV isn't worth much anymore. Why should they be so stupid to complain about predatory mortgage lending? They should have known that prices change, am I right?

The objection to predatory lending isn't because I feel bad for the fools who borrowed money they couldn't afford to pay back, they should have known better. The objection is the way it fueled the price bubble in the real estate market, and the way banks packaged and sold the subprime mortages, making the crash much worse.

Reactions: VQTRVA
The last time I asked GM about adding or fixing a feature, the answer was “buy next year’s model.”
That is a principal reason I got the Model 3. My prior car was a 2012 Prius Plugin Advanced, fantastic interior, 12 way seats, HUD took 90 mins zero to full charge but once I put on All Season tires my EV mileage dropped to 9-10. On a 50 mile commute I'd see ~ 60mpg but then the Volt came out and significantly better than 9 miles per charge was possible. Exactly what you said, want 20 miles on battery, buy the newest model. My goal is not to buy a new Toyota every other year.

I can’t quantify just how happy it makes me to have a software-defined car!
I have familiar with software defined (in this case radio). I bought an SDR (I'm also a Ham Radio Op. The company would 3-4 times/year put out a new release of the software that defines how the radio works and features that were broken got fixed, features that kinda worked started working great, etc. Tesla appears to be releasing a major upgrade OTA about once a month. I am cautiously optimistic with Tesla hitting or coming very close to their mark. Currently the car, on a longish trip drives itself 99% of the time. On shorter trips, 95%. If, come end of year, is pay attention, that'll work for me...for awhile. I am not planning on napping on our way to see our kids.