Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Range extender 16k

1701382072534.png

So overall - I really felt as though today's release was not well delivered - felt kinda pieced together and fanboyish overall. Sure the videos had a cool factor - but we still have no meaningful stats with which to make a good decision at the end of the day other than pricing and range estimates (still not EPA tested from what I can see). I cannot find a single reference to any meaningful towing data. No towing range data, no payload towing data for tongue weight, hitch class, range extender vs non-range extender towing range and payload (since any range extender is going to directly subtract from payload - which makes a difference).

Sure we got some good info today, pricing and range estimates and such, but I also see no pics for each model - which wheel/tire packages come with each model for example (other than 20" wheels - kinda general). This overall felt rushed and that they are simply trying to buy more time. Just one man's opinion of course, but color me not impressed - at least that's my "walking away from it" initial overall impression. They also supposedly have over 2mm pre-orders - yet not a single piece of guidance given to anyone who is on that list. That's horrible customer service/experience right there - no matter how you slice it.

I did see a few stats that were impressive though, as follows:

• 17" ground clearance in "extract mode" - whatever that means
  • 4WS - which we already knew about
  • 48v low voltage system
I also happened to notice that the maximum charging rate is 250kw for supercharging. There was a LOT of talk - including from Elon directly - about an 800-1000 volt architecture for the high voltage system. That doesn't seem to be the case here given the maximum charge rate is only listed at 250kw - which is no better than any current model.

Reactions: hydro and jebinc
That's....well....kinda shocking. If this isn't a permanent "software unlock" kind of option and can be installed and uninstalled - Tesla would be wise to consider two options. Rent or buy. For those who tow often enough - $16k might make sense - but for those who only tow occasionally - allow people to rent the extender when needed on those rare occasions for longer distance/heavier load type towing. This is of course assuming the range extender is something that can be removed/added without too much trouble - for example within the bed and using the 240v 14-50 plug.

That's....well....kinda shocking. If this isn't a permanent "software unlock" kind of option and can be installed and uninstalled - Tesla would be wise to consider two options. Rent or buy. For those who tow often enough - $16k might make sense - but for those who only tow occasionally - allow people to rent the extender when needed on those rare occasions for longer distance/heavier load type towing.
Why did you disagree? I just posted what people on Twitter are getting from the app.

Elon said it takes up 1/3 of the bed and it's going to weigh a ton.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
That's....well....kinda shocking. If this isn't a permanent "software unlock" kind of option and can be installed and uninstalled - Tesla would be wise to consider two options. Rent or buy. For those who tow often enough - $16k might make sense - but for those who only tow occasionally - allow people to rent the extender when needed on those rare occasions for longer distance/heavier load type towing.
Watch, the “extender” takes up the vault space! 😆

Perhaps some, but not most earlier today. Oh, and the dates are one “in 2025” and two models “in 2024”. No quarter mentioned. Could be December, right. The event today hurt Tesla more than it helped. At the end of the day, my 12 month estimate may be optimistic!
They told people at the event that real deliveries would start this month.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc