Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I expect that's intended for people needing to tow longer distances, not haul stuff in the bed long distances
if you need to tow ~10k lbs for long distances and regularly... you need a gasoline F150 / Silverado / Sierra.

even with the range extender that thing will only tow *maybe* 200 miles and costs $30k more than a comparable gas truck

I expect that's intended for people needing to tow longer distances, not haul stuff in the bed long distances

You have to be careful with your bed weight if you are towing because putting things in the bed reduces the allowable tongue weight. A travel trailer can easily have 1000lb tongue weight

Any info on the range extender being usable across more than one CyberTruck?

‪We have 3 CyberTrucks on order between us and 2 friends. I can see the feasibility of all 3 of us going in on a single range extender for special cases, assuming they’re not tied to a specific vehicle, and not hugely difficult to move from one vehicle to another.

Even if it was possible, I don't think moving a 2000lb thing is feasible.

Any info on the range extender being usable across more than one CyberTruck?

‪We have 3 CyberTrucks on order between us and 2 friends. I can see the feasibility of all 3 of us going in on a single range extender for special cases, assuming they’re not tied to a specific vehicle, and not hugely difficult to move from one vehicle to another.
got a forklift ?

ok now i see your comment about tesla network is also a joke...sorry it didn't come across clearly to me 😂
There is going to be a very short window to secure the locked-in FSD price, and when they stop selling cars and trucks completely. Have to time it carefully so as to maximize exclusive Tesla Network benefits.

“Walking the talk”. AMF, Cybertruck.

IMG_9841.png

You have to be careful with your bed weight if you are towing because putting things in the bed reduces the allowable tongue weight. A travel trailer can easily have 1000lb tongue weight

Why are we thinking it's 2k lbs for the range extender?

From the other thread-
Powerwall is 13.5kw and has a weight of 269lbs. So a 50kw pack is probably between 900-1000lbs.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc

So let me get this straight, instead of providing us with the amazing beer can battery’s with 500+ of range as promised, we get only get 320 instead? Then we pay for another battery that now says will provide up to 470 miles only it takes up a full 1/3 of the bed and reduces all the carrying and towing capacity?

is that right????

So let me get this straight, instead of providing us with the amazing beer can battery’s with 500+ of range, we get only get 330 instead? Then we pay for another battery that now says will provide up to 470 miles only it takes up a full 1/3 of the bed and reduces all the carrying and towing capacity?

is that right????
You forgot to mention the rest of the bed is taken up with a spare and angled from vault wall; not to mention the side “wings” rendering side loading impossible. So, there’s also that…

If this thing really weights 2000 lbs - then it's a joke. Total payload is 2500lbs minus 2000lbs leaves 500 lbs - not including any other weight in the cab (meaning people), and any other gear. Let's say it's only one person with a bit of gear at 250 lbs - that leaves 250lbs for payload. Wanna tow a 10k lb trailer? You need 1000-1500 lbs just for tongue weight - now you're over your GVWR rating. Assuming the CT has a class IV receiver hitch - maximum tongue weight is 1100 lbs - so even with a WDH you're still way over GVWR maximum. Math matters when it comes to towing. I saw two posts that said the additional battery pack weighs 2000 lbs - but this hasn't been substantiated yet. Does anyone know how much the range extender actually weighs once installed? This is the kind of data that matters to people who do truck things with actual trucks.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
Oh let’s not forget that 470 isn’t even close to 470.

10% off the top, 10% off the bottom, then battery degradation issues, wind, cold, up hill. Towing. The list goes on and on.

what a joke.
Have you seen the recent media reports on this disaster, post event? Brutal.

Have you seen the recent media reports on this disaster, post event? Brutal. Even the stalwart shills will have a tough time “spinning” this as a great day for Tesla (and investors)…

Reactions: TessP100D
if you need to tow ~10k lbs for long distances and regularly... you need a gasoline F150 / Silverado / Sierra.

even with the range extender that thing will only tow *maybe* 200 miles and costs $30k more than a comparable gas truck

I would expect 'assisted' electric trailers to become more common. They would work to reduce fuel consumption in an ICE too. Kind of silly to carry so much extra battery weight when it's really only needed for towing.