Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are currently doing winter testing in New Zealand so I doubt we see production until Mar/Apr 2024. We’ve been waiting for so many years wha’s another few months. Get it right the first time.I’m with many others who say do away with the single wiper.

Mercedes successfully implemented the single wiper system on their W124 (E Class) back in the mid-1980's. It was replaced by the 2-wiper system due to higher complexity and cost. I'm sure Tesla will get it right with the Cybertruck, and the cool factor fits well with the rest of the design. Interesting that the single wiper actually covered more glass area than the conventional 2-wiper system.

Reactions: RedOctober
In fact, personally, for a truck, or in general, I prefer 2 just for the redundancy.
But that isn't redundancy, it is work split into 2 parts: NOT the same thing.

Redundancy is when the secondary item can perform the same function as the primary. If your left windshield wiper goes out. the other wiper just keeps wiping the right side of the windshield and the driver cannot see in front of themselves properly.

Last edited:
Reactions: mongo
All you need is some Rope
1689988460576.png

Reactions: RedOctober
I think the windshield wiper is cool. If I wanted a traditional truck I'd buy an Lightning, I've always owned Ford trucks, they are solid.

Also, this isn't an F250 competitor, Tesla and Ford know that battery supply isn't where it needs to be to have 500+ mile vehicles. Tesla will sell every Cybertruck they make, 350 mile range, 2 motor/3 motor, doesn't matter. These guy understand their market.

For serious towing, a 500+ mile battery is required, that will yield you about 250-350 miles of towing, about like an F250 (depending on the load of course).

I secretly hope they release an F150 killer with 500 miles range, they won't, battery supply is still a big problem.

If the Cybertruck is awaiting certification we have no idea if Tesla will be required to make changes to the Truck to meet U.S. regulations. If changes are required the Truck will be delayed past the end of the third quarter.
FMVSS requirements are all self-certified.
EPA also.
Tesla does the tests or hires a third party to, then submits the data. There should not be any 'gotchas' in the process.
Only issue of interpretation I can see is the rear identification lights versus light bar (assuming CT is 80" or wider).

Reactions: Eric9610 and mm9351
It's under 80 inches and the center light is there on most of the Beta models. Some it's disabled.
What is your source for width? I haven't seen any shots with a center brake light.

OG prototype had triple identification light:
SmartSelect_20230726_063422_Firefox.jpg

If it is <80, that band on the tailgate can only be used for CHMSL or unlit.
S6.3 Equipment combinations. Two or more lamps, reflective devices, or items of associated equipment may be combined if the requirements for each lamp, reflective device, and item of associated equipment are met with the following exceptions:
S6.3.1 No high-mounted stop lamp is permitted to be combined with any other lamp or reflective device, other than with a cargo lamp.
S6.3.2 No high-mounted stop lamp is permitted to be optically combined with any cargo lamp.
S6.3.3 No clearance lamp is permitted to be optically combined with any taillamp.
Depending how they interpret functional lens area. If there is an unlit area on the same plastic piece, is that functional lens?
Optically combined means a lamp having a single or two filament light source or two or more separate light sources that operate in different ways, and has its optically functional lens area wholly or partially common to two or more lamp functions.
Recent builds do seem to meet the height requirement (depending on cab rear window lower edge).

S6.1.4 Mounting height. The mounting height of each lamp and reflective device must be measured from the center of the item, as mounted on the vehicle at curb weight, to the road surface.

S6.1.4.1 High-mounted stop lamps.
S6.1.4.1.1 A high-mounted stop lamp mounted below the rear window must have no lens portion lower than 153 mm [6 in] below the lower edge of the rear glazing on convertibles, or 77 mm [3 in] on other passenger cars.
And being on a tailgate is allowable.
1985-03.1 | NHTSA

Amber front identification lights would impact the styling.