Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In other news ... Musk declares October to be part of 3Q, to avoid missing another delivery promise ...
Tesla 101: Tesla has generally preferred to deliver things well, even if that means not according to some nominal or even wishful schedule that was arbitrarily extracted from the air.
such has been proven in its track record of:
- The first EV available for public sale by an American company in over a century
- starting the first new car company in the USA in over a century
- The first auto company IPO in half a century
- The first C&D Car of the Year with 100% unanimous decision
- Multiple performance records for mass-produced cars (acceleration, pikes-peak, etc)
- Safest car tested by multiple agencies (NTSA, etc)
- Highest margin on a car
- The first (CT) and second (Model 3) most pre-sales for a consumer product (and an expensive one as well)
- The best selling car and vehicle in multiple markets for several quarters

. . . all of which were delivered late (except the Model 3) but, clearly, other than a few people who can only understand simple numbers, nobody cares except trolls desperately trolling for something bad to say.

. . . all of which were delivered late (except the Model 3) but, clearly, other than a few people who can only understand simple numbers, nobody cares except trolls desperately trolling for something bad to say.
Nobody cares, except people who put deposits on CT and are still waiting.
Which is the subject of this thread.

If you want to worship a celebrity/company, please go and start another thread for that explicit purpose.

a

Reactions: navguy12
I've had a reservation for 15 quarters and they think I'm going to cancel because I'll need to wait another???

I don't know.
Rivian R1T is looking better and better with every CT delay.
As to potential cancelations - those will depend on the final price points and range specs. Whenever those may be announced. Or competitors swooping in while Tesla is putzing around.

Also... did no one listen to the Q2 call?

Most folks have a life.
If you have something pertinent from Q2 you want to share, feel free to do so.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
I don't know.
As to potential cancelations - those will depend on the final price points and range specs. Whenever those may be announced. Or competitors swooping in while Tesla is putzing around.
I'd personally add the Silverado EV as a compelling addition. It will be available (beyond the existing fleet sales) this fall. Range of the WT4 and WT3 are known, as is pricing of the WT4 @ $80k. Their Ultium battery promises replacment battery availability over the long-term, replacing individual sections at a lower cost, verses the whole pack.

This thread was started at the beginning of May, so I think we can safely conclude that launch was not imminent. There are now multiple consumer options for an EV truck, which have nice interiors and features. Tesla at this point needs to take the time get it right, since they are not first. If the quality, interior, function & features do not match the competition, then the pricing will need to be significantly better.

I hear this, but have one nuance: Rivian becomes a very worthy option... the day they put a Tesla charging plug in it... which is coming.

A truck that you want to do truck-like things in which is chained to CCS stations? Yikes - I am not that brave.

except people who put deposits on CT and are still waiting.
Which is the subject of this thread.
I wanted an electric car that wasn't a golf cart since the arab oil embargo of the 1970's. I waited ~15 years until I heard of a technology that could handle the poor energy-storage capacity of batteries (GM Impact). I, then waited 9 years for that viable EV to be produced, I leased it, then it was taken away from me and crushed. I then waited 3 years before someone (Tesla) offered a viable plan for actually selling me an EV. I waited 2 years for the Roadster - it was late and cost more money than all of the previous cars I had owned, combined but business (and my wife) had been good to me. I then waited 12 more years for an electric car that was practical and affordable (Model 3). If someone wants a good electric pickup truck, you're going to have to wait until someone builds one. Tesla explained a viable plan for handling the required battery weight to tackle the challenges of poor aerodynamics of a truck towing things. It looks funny but it needs to be structurally like a bridge. They brilliantly coined the concept of "Cyber" to placate the style-conscious early-adopter crowd.

As far as accusations of:

worship a celebrity/company,

I waited 44 years for the car I (and the world) needed. I can wait 3 or 4 for the truck.
I don't know if Tesla will fail this time. Its hard to believe they could kill it yet again but every other time clueless folks have groused about the delays, Tesla has come through.

If you want what the Cyber truck promises, just like those of us who have preceded you, you need to wait until it is available. If someone else makes a truck that meets your needs, go ahead and buy it. Otherwise, you can either wait for Tesla or someone else.

The endless grousing about schedule only proves you can read a calender. It doesn't change the reality that nobody knows how to make a good EV truck yet so nobody knows how long it will really take.

The CT is heavy, I bet heavier than the Hummer
Tesla will sell a few CT's to businesses who want a marketing Truck, other than that, a lot of owners are soon going to find out that owning a full size truck is different ballgame, not only in driving dynamics but for your pockets also.

Making up silly negative stories about that of which you know nothing (nor do I) because you're mad at waiting won't help you get what you want sooner.

If you're just trying to smear the product, then you're just being an obnoxious troll.

With Ford/ GM and Rivian all adding Tesla Supercharging to their trucks in a few months... not sure if the Cybertruck will be going "as expected". When the Cybertruck was unveiled in 2019 (nearly 4 years ago...) there was *zero* other EV truck on the market or even announced.

Now we are looking at Ford/ GM/ Rivian / Stellantis (RAM) ... some are already on the market and others will join with the Cybertruck. The EV truck market for consumers (not fleet) is also fairly limited in size given that trucks are still a PIA to park in tight parking garages/ in residential parking garages and need $$$ and large batteries to get the same range as a Model 3 / Y for $50k or less...

once the novelty wears off ... many will likely re-consider a EV sedan/ SUV vs. an EV truck.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
If someone wants a good electric pickup truck, you're going to have to wait until someone builds one. Tesla explained a viable plan for handling the required battery weight to tackle the challenges of poor aerodynamics of a truck towing things. It looks funny but it needs to be structurally like a bridge. They brilliantly coined the concept of "Cyber" to placate the style-conscious early-adopter crowd.

one problem: the design ain't changing between "style conscious early adopter crowd" and everyone else who's looking at that truck 1-2 yrs later... who cares if the niche market of early adopter love the polarizing design when the much larger market thinks it's "ugly". My wife vetoed the Cybertruck and I really can't blame her.

I'd personally add the Silverado EV as a compelling addition. It will be available (beyond the existing fleet sales) this fall. Range of the WT4 and WT3 are known, as is pricing of the WT4 @ $80k. Their Ultium battery promises replacment battery availability over the long-term, replacing individual sections at a lower cost, verses the whole pack.

This thread was started at the beginning of May, so I think we can safely conclude that launch was not imminent. There are now multiple consumer options for an EV truck, which have nice interiors and features. Tesla at this point needs to take the time get it right, since they are not first. If the quality, interior, function & features do not match the competition, then the pricing will need to be significantly better.
Depending where you live, and what you do I think you should watch some of Jerry Rig Everything's videos. A lot of their compartments catch and hold dirt without a good resolution to remove it. Also just the lack of service centers and options for warranty is still pretty rough. I'd sooner own a Tesla in AK than a Rivian just about anywhere.

It seems like a great truck overall if you consider that a truck bed, that's never had a working cover, and for the premium price it seems great. Folks that I know that have them are pretty up and down on them, much like early Tesla's.

Depending where you live, and what you do I think you should watch some of Jerry Rig Everything's videos. A lot of their compartments catch and hold dirt without a good resolution to remove it. Also just the lack of service centers and options for warranty is still pretty rough. I'd sooner own a Tesla in AK than a Rivian just about anywhere.

It seems like a great truck overall if you consider that a truck bed, that's never had a working cover, and for the premium price it seems great. Folks that I know that have them are pretty up and down on them, much like early Tesla's.

well... there are zero Tesla Service Centers in Alaska... but Ford has plenty dealers. So you could make the same argument in favor of the Mach E / F150 Lightning in Alaska over Tesla...

Lol at some of these comments there’s now almost 2,000,000 reservations let’s say 50% drop off that’s 1 million CT….. they’ll be producing cyber truck for the next six years to fill orders. It is what it is fellas. Spin it any way you want it. The demand will be there for the truck.

Reactions: GWord
Lol at some of these comments there’s now almost 2,000,000 reservations let’s say 50% drop off that’s 1 million CT….. they’ll be producing cyber truck for the next six years to fill orders. It is what it is fellas. Spin it any way you want it. The demand will be there for the truck.
that's not how it works... do you really think in 6 yrs from now anyone is willing to take delivery of a 2023 spec Cybertruck? By then the 2nd Generation F150 Lightning / Rivian and probably GM is already on the street or upcoming. if you pre-ordered fully refundable in 2019/2020 and then get a delivery slot in 2028+ ... you are probably not wanting that truck anymore

also - drop off with $100 (fully refundable) pre orders from 4 years ago (!) is a lot lot higher than only 50%. Especially with the price likely significantly higher than $39k starting (...)

well... there are zero Tesla Service Centers in Alaska... but Ford has plenty dealers. So you could make the same argument in favor of the Mach E / F150 Lightning in Alaska over Tesla...
I'm strictly talking Tesla versus Rivian, but sure. That said I wouldn't buy a Ford EV at this point either what what I have seen and know. Have fun taking your Mach-E in for service. I'd wager that maybe 1-2 employees per location actually know enough to perform maintenance. The sales people will to this day still try to sell you on ICE cars due to their history with them regardless of what you come in looking for.

Last edited: