Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaked email - plans for 6000/wk by June

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ouch...the implication of that letter is that Tesla is like EVERY OTHER BIG CORPORATION. All of those things he is railing about are classic big company problems and despite folks routinely proclaiming "Tesla is different", it looks like they have fallen into the same bureaucratic culture as every other big company (otherwise why is he trying to address them). One thing is for sure, it didn't get that way over night and it sure as heck won't correct overnight...unfortunate.
Elon ranting about the use of acronyms is nothing new, see the book by Ashlee Vance how he addressed that some years ago.

I generally like the email and where he's coming from but...
I just hope no one loses their job.
Regarding the part with contractors, I'm not sure if he's talking about suppliers or companies supplier contract workers or contractors perform certain work within the plant. If he fires them that quickly, depending on the nature of the work, there could be plant stoppages again.

As for precision, well, Elon has never been short on hyperbole. I doubt he meet what he's aspiring anytime in the near future (let's just call in the next 5 years).

As for supplier requirements, Tesla is small peanuts compared to the big automakers. If the demands are unreasonable given the timelines, cost targets and production targets and the relationship with suppliers becomes too adversarial, that could lead to production stoppages again (due to the supplier saying "see ya!") and scrambles to find replacement suppliers.

Remember, GM, Nissan-Renault Alliance, Toyota and VW group EACH produce about 10 million vehicles per year. Tesla hasn't even been capable of doing 200K in a year yet. If they achieve 6K/week sustained for a whole year w/0 downtime, that's 312K vehicles/year.

Side note: I've on and off seen ranks like Suppliers Like What GM Serves, Not So Much at Nissan (2017 N.A. Automotive OEM Study Shows General Motors Jumps to Third Place, Nissan falls to last, in Supplier Relations has a better chart). GM used to be TERRIBLE in this metric but has (amazingly) improved a LOT!

As the 2nd piece says
The study is watched carefully by automakers because their supplier relations rating is highly correlated to the benefits the OEM receives from its suppliers – including new technology, lower pricing, and best supplier support – all of which contribute to the OEM's operating profit and competitive strength.
Suppliers love Toyota and Honda: Why that matters to you
So what does this mean to the vehicle-buying public?

Henke explains that suppliers are more likely to have their best engineers work with people who treat them well. Suppliers are more likely to offer their best and latest technology to those companies that treat them with respect.

Those two elements alone can lead one to believe that the OEMs with the best engineering and the best technology are more likely to produce cars and trucks that are better than those produced by companies that are doing their utmost to berate their suppliers.

Last edited:
I generally like the email and where he's coming from but...

Regarding the part with contractors, I'm not sure if he's talking about suppliers or companies supplier contract workers or contractors perform certain work within the plant. If he fires them that quickly, depending on the nature of the work, there could be plant stoppages again.

As for precision, well, Elon has never been short on hyperbole. I doubt he meet what he's aspiring anytime in the near future (let's just call in the next 5 years).

As for supplier requirements, Tesla is small peanuts compared to the big automakers. If the demands are unreasonable given the timelines, cost targets and production targets and the relationship with suppliers becomes too adversarial, that could lead to production stoppages again (due to the supplier saying "see ya!") and scrambles to find replacement suppliers.

Remember, GM, Nissan-Renault Alliance, Toyota and VW group EACH produce about 10 million vehicles per year. Tesla hasn't even been capable of doing 200K in a year yet. If they achieve 6K/week sustained for a whole year w/0 downtime, that's 312K vehicles/year.

Side note: I've on and off seen ranks like Suppliers Like What GM Serves, Not So Much at Nissan (2017 N.A. Automotive OEM Study Shows General Motors Jumps to Third Place, Nissan falls to last, in Supplier Relations has a better chart). GM used to be TERRIBLE in this metric but has (amazingly) improved a LOT!

As the 2nd piece says

Suppliers love Toyota and Honda: Why that matters to you

Having been a supplier, I disagree with the last section. OEMs dictate what technology they will use, suppliers (at least the one I worked at) offer the best and latest things to everyone. That said, if the supplier is a PITA to work with, (and wants recycled tech), they likely won't have the top individuals on their project (nor is there a need to).

It may be that the ratings are based on company to company top level relations, not engineering level.

So they have already missed their new 6,000 goal by only maybe hitting 5,950 ! ? ! ? :eek:

Another failure of EPIC PROPORTIONS. Next thing you know, they will walk it back to 5,940... ;)

RT
I know you're joking but the email actually addresses this issue - asking for burst rates of 6000 internally but stating 5000 as the public goal. This is something Musk hasn't really done enough of in the past - giving himself some margin. Look at the end of March situation, where they had managed to finally get the rate up over 2000 per week (compared to under 1000 per week just a few weeks earlier), yet the story was that they had missed the goal of 2500 per week. The reality was that they had made significant real progress, and yet got dinged for a failure by many in the media.

Don't worry. He's probably talking about guys like me..... except I only drink root bear :rolleyes:

Didn't knew bears were drinkable. Funny that, longs on the other side could be considered drinks :p

At first I’d inferred “root bear” was a play on words relating bears to sloths... a real groaner. Upon the realization that it may have been merely a typo, I am relieved and the pun police are placated.

• Funny
Reactions: FlyF4
I know you're joking...

Indeed I am...

The reality was that they had made significant real progress, and yet got dinged for a failure by many in the media.

As an avid Tesla watcher for 10 years now, I can tell you one thing with certainty. Dingers gonna ding.

It doesn't matter whether Tesla makes progress or not. It doesn't matter whether they meet their stated goals or come up short. It doesn't matter that they created a new American automobile manufacturing operation from scratch in 10 years (in California !) and kicking everyone's behind. Tesla could cover every square inch of the Earth's surface with Model 3 cars and the media would ding them for not creating more reclaimed land from the ocean to fill with new cars. For the media, its all about getting eyeballs on their website, and any Tesla story, especially negative Tesla stories, do exactly that.

I can say maybe one more thing with certainty... If you or anyone are waiting for the "media" to recognize that Tesla in general and Elon specifically are actually going about changing the world for the better, that is the path to endless frustration.

Tesla is taking hundreds of millions of dollars of business away from established companies, and it is only going to snowball from here. These dinosaurs and their paid politicians are not going down without a fight, and part of the fight is to get their "media" friends whom they support with advertising dollars to spread Tesla FUD from sea to shining sea, 24/7. Once you see this and understand what is going on, the world makes much more sense.

Every car manufacturer periodically shuts down assembly lines to fine tune them. Tesla does it and it is from page news. When did you last read a story about Fiat shutting down an assembly line to improve production?

RT