Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving animals in Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have left my dog in the car a handful of times out of necessity, but took a few precautions. The car was parked in shade (that I knew would be there for the duration) as well as crated in the trunk (no parcel shelf). I remotely enabled the AC and monitored incessantly.

The car is well tinted so the risk of a passerby getting heroic is minimal.

All that said, I have come close to freeing a dog or two myself from a locked car.

It's a risk - to the pet and the car - and one I don't take lightly.

I have left my dog in the car a handful of times out of necessity, but took a few precautions. The car was parked in shade (that I knew would be there for the duration) as well as crated in the trunk (no parcel shelf). I remotely enabled the AC and monitored incessantly.

The car is well tinted so the risk of a passerby getting heroic is minimal.

All that said, I have come close to freeing a dog or two myself from a locked car.

It's a risk - to the pet and the car - and one I don't take lightly.

That's the way to look at it. You know you are taking a risk with the dog and your car and you do everything to minimize it and avoid doing it all together if possible.

Yes, CalDreamin, you are correct; that chart did not show it to be unlawful to leave a pet in a car. Not a good chart for me to use.
My point was that there is ammunition out there for a busybody to use. They turn you in and you have to go before a judge and state that conditions were tolerable. Just an inconvenience.
I really like this:
"Confucius say: 'A wise man, knowing he is under suspicion, does not stoop to tie his shoe while in a melon patch'"~Charlie Chan

I personally will never have an animal in my Model S, period.

But if I did, it's certainly my choice to do so. If some idiot busted a window or did anything else to my car because of the animal, there would be hell to pay.

Could you all just act like adults in this thread? What's with all the frickin' chest thumping going on?

You just make work for the moderators and that makes me cranky. Seriously ... cranky.

Well, I would never leave a young child or pet unattended in a parked car, but I can understand why people would be angry if their car window got smashed. If someone smashed the window out of my lowly Honda Civic I'd be pist as hell and probably go Axl Rose on them.

I love my dog but I leave her in the car all the time, mostly when i'm running in to the bathroom or to pick up take out or eat quick fast food. I always turn on the climate control since she's dumb enough already and can't afford to lose any more brain cells I haven't worried about signs etc. The Tesla isn't exactly quiet when the A/C is running. Of course i'm almost always watching my parked car whether or not the dog is there...
IMG_3012.jpg

For the record she likes the Model S much better than my old Acura. Much flatter rear seat and quieter.

I'm not an advocate of leaving my dogs in the car, too many f'd up things can happen. However I understand Bonnie's point about being on the road with your K9 friend by yourself. You just have to use common sense and follow your list if you have to leave them. With that said I've done several road trips over the years with just me and the dog(before my S) during the summer and I would try to find a restaurant with outdoor seating as many will let you bring the dog onto the outdoor seating area. Also, surprisingly some grocery stores will let you bring the dog inside if you ask, especially the non chain stores. At rest stops I took the dog into the bathroom, some people didn't like it and some people didn't care. I would just shrug my shoulders. You will figure it out as you go and if you do run into a zealot I'm sure you will make them see the light.

Dogged Determination

I currently drive a Cayenne and ordered the thermal glass because I sometimes take my Coton dog with me on short trips.
The glass makes a big difference keeping my dog cool in the Summer heat. Now, even if I'm in a store for 5 minutes with the car very cool I will sometimes get notes taped to the windshield questioning my sanity and lambasting me for animal cruelty.
Ordered a Model S yesterday and my understanding is that as long as you activate the A/C via a phone app every 30 minutes or so, you can keep a dog perfectly comfortable.
I'm curious, has anyone received any love letters taped to their Tesla windows when traveling with their canine friends?

I traveled with my dogs for over 20k miles in the past year. I keep them crated for safety--no need to risk having two 50 lb dogs in my lap barking at a cat while I am driving. I make sure they always have water in the crates, with a spill-proof water bowl.

When I need to leave them in the car while I do shopping, I post this sign on both front windows and have not been hassled:
Car sign-AC Running.jpg