Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving Phone in Car while at work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cant take my phone into my workplace at all (not even to be left at reception/entry) - I therefore have to leave it in the glovebox oy my car. What is the best way to manage this? I presume I can lock my car with a card and open it also - but will the phone in the car impact? Any suggestions - only thing I can think of is to turn off my phone (or Bluetooth) and leave it in the car, using the card to lock and reopen? Any smarter ideas? Thanks (p.s taking my phone with me onto our premise is not an option at all [security] - and I do have to lock my car on exit).

Options:

1. Dont setup your phone as a key at all. use keycard only, or purchase a keyfob and use that

2. Use phone as key for everywhere else but work, but remember to turn off bluetooth on the phone each time you leave it in the car at work, and then use a keycard or keyfob while at work

Option 2 basically is requiring you to remember to turn off bluetooth every time you go into work, which means there is definitely going to be a time or two that you forget. Dont use phone key at all, and buy a keyfob, would be my recommendation.

If you have an iPhone you can turn on Airplane mode before you exit the Tesla vehicle. Airplane mode will turn off LTE, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Assuming you can't wear a smart watch at work for the same reasons as not having your phone then you would need to carry the Tesla key card to unlock the Tesla vehicle. You could also purchase the key fob and carry that with you at work.

Not having your phone with you will impact whether you can use Walk Away Lock the next time you exit the Tesla vehicle. The Tesla vehicle will remember there was no keyed phone with BT active used to unlock the Tesla vehicle to track the phone as you walk away so the Tesla vehicle knows to lock the doors. You would have to lock the doors manually as you exit the Tesla vehicle. You can tap the lock icon on the Tesla screen after you opening the driver's door. There is also a voice command (handy when wearing gloves) to 'Lock the doors".

In the summer heat you can use Cabin Overheat Protection to keep the passenger cabin from becoming too warm (probably not good for the life of the phone screen and phone battery.) I would place my phone in a soft sided insulated bag with a freezer pack (sometimes two freezer packs) if I had to leave my phone in my vehicle all day in the summer heat.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SalisburySam
Airplane mode does not turn off wifi or Bluetooth. You’ll have to turn off Bluetooth separately.
I dont know about iPhone. But you can see in pics below that airplane mode does indeed turn off both Bluetooth and WiFi in my android device.
Screenshot_20230322_061838_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230322_061848_Chrome.jpg

There are also NFC rings you can wear that work as a Tesla key, so you can wear the ring (mine is my everyday wedding band) and have easy access to your car despite not having phone key access. You will absolutely want to turn off bluetooth (that should be sufficient to disable phone key) or better yet turn off the phone, as thieves have been known to use bluetooth sniffers to find devices in cars (and if your workplace is known to ban devices, then safe assumption that every car in the lot has a phone in it, though I suspect you might be in a place with excellent security given the protocols you have to adopt).

Reactions: Leeclanual
on my iphone it does. Which makes sense that they call it airplane mode.
Very odd. I wonder if this is regional. In Australia, airplane mode on an iPhone turns off cellular, but leaves wifi and Bluetooth on.

Oh I see. Further research. You can turn wifi and Bluetooth back on after enabling airplane mode. Then next time you go into airplane mode, it remembers the previous state. I must have turned it on years ago and forgotten.

To (perhaps) help clarify the Airplane Mode/Bluetooth issue, this is from Apple:
  • Turning on Airplane Mode, turns off all radios except for Bluetooth. If you turn off Bluetooth while you're in Airplane Mode, your device will remember that and will turn off Bluetooth the next time that you turn on AirPlane Mode. (my bolding).
As a wearer of Bluetooth hearing aids, I can attest that Airplane Mode does not turn them off unless I ask it to.