Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Less than one year apart, yet the Model X has many improvements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thats about all I know also ...Some cosmetic differences , not all good in my estimation ...I would love the extended range but not enough to trade the car and absorb the cost .. AP2 is certainly not any better yet according to reports .The extra battery would be worth 20K to me .However my 13xx vin would not allow a trade at that figure .

Buy new if you want the latest and greatest, just to be obsolete within a quarter (sometimes just days). People accepted they aren't getting latest and greatest with a CPO in exchange for a steep discount. Ask @DougH he knows.

Last edited:
Reactions: dragonxt
I just traded my 5xxx P90D 6 seat for a 55xxx 100D 5 seat a month ago.

Changes to Model X:
Falcon door switches much better design
Perforated front seats gone
Rear Luggage area slightly different shape, my old 3ed row seats down Weathertech mat works but not a perfect fit
AP2 still not as good as AP1
Far rear storage under floor ( trunk ) seems larger and deeper, I did not measure it
Fixed spoiler better idea, the moving spoiler was flaky and I always worried about it in freezing weather
New non P seems to get close to rated miles most of the time, P never did, I believe the actual range difference is more than 45 miles spec
Acceleration of P was much more than non P but non P is still plenty fast
Extra battery and extra storage were reasons I changed, 6 seat was a pain with no folding second row
Only minor problems after 30 days, older car had several problems by then
Both were/are amazing vehicles!
Hope to keep this one for many years

I have a 3/16 MX 90D VIN 25xx. I love my perforated ventilated UW seats, active spoiler (imho make the car look a lot better and more upscale), free for life supercharging. My AP1 runs circles around AP2 ( I know, just for now). I do 80% of my work commute using AP1 and love it. I wouldn't trade for higher VIN/MY MX anytime soon.

• Love
Reactions: ModelX and Gwgan
I have a 3/16 MX 90D VIN 25xx. I love my perforated ventilated UW seats, active spoiler (imho make the car look a lot better and more upscale), free for life supercharging. My AP1 runs circles around AP2 ( I know, just for now). I do 80% of my work commute using AP1 and love it. I wouldn't trade for higher VIN/MY MX anytime soon.
And this folks is why I am buying a used one. @rjdoc74 don't worry, it wont be a lease! Mods incoming!!!

The build quality has gone up for sure, and when comparing it to our current X, there are changes which overall make the vehicle more enjoyable. Now the bigger items we all know about, such as the battery pack and usable amount, the motors and some other mechanicals. While this may not seem too relevant, a lot of the engineering has improved. It's important to know that the software version in the five seater is the one right before my current one which is c528869. The below are what we've noticed so far and like.

Model X Door Buttons: Much easier to press, even my daughter can press it open now. Extended pressure points.

Front Doors: Motors are silent, no spinning whine and the speed is controlled and comfortable. The door latch is also quiet!

FWD: new switches are more intuitive as we know, but the latches again, are smoother and the locking clicks aren't too loud. Another note for this is that when the doors close, they do not rock the X, mine currently does.

Trunk: The new rear motor has changed the floor for the storage area. It's not as deep in my opinion but it isn't a huge difference. I can still fit strollers and other items in there with no issues. The covers are thicker and feels sturdier than the one we have. I prefer the handle over the extra leather loop, but takes out the guess work on how to use the handle. Apparently a lot of people couldn't figure it out.

Frunk: Seems unchanged to me

Driving Mechanics: Okay, this is where either my X is not proper, or they have made the silent changes and not bothered to tell anyone. I am not savvy enough to tell you if it's the battery, wiring, motors or software. The accelerator pedal and regenerative braking is much smoother. I noticed it right away, and even feel as thought it drives better than the P100DL I drove. My wife and I describe it as a linear increase and decrease, versus a violent burst followed by the calm and smoothness. Feathering the accelerator seems to be much more intuitive and overall better. I drove both X's back to back with the same settings and they're different to me, enough to consider a new one over a CPO. Brakes are good also, they feel like mine did when brand new, mine just has been through snow and more recently rain.

Suspension: I think the SAS is unchanged, though when changing the ride height there were no creaks or moans compared to mine. I am almost 100% certain they changed how the vehicle is damped. It absorbs bumps better as a driver and as a passenger. Going over the same cracks and unavoidable pot holes is nearing the quality of the CLS and RRS I had in all heights. One thing which is noticeable for the dampening is that it works a lot better in the low and very low setting. This is impressive for me since often times people don't realize that they dampeners are what contribute the most to ride comfort and not the adaptive suspension.

Steering: It's tight, and in a very good way. Sport is now sportier and not just increased effort, but the response with the tightness flows better and the response has a lot less understeer. My arms were not as crossed up when testing it in tighter turns. Comfort is better as well, with a loose wheel and the standard setting is just right in-between. I like the steering response and it feels much more put together without the old man S class feel of dead space. Almost like a Panamera feel if you will.

Fit and Finish: Quality of the alignment and pieces are much better and cleaner. The steering wheel buttons have a nice tight click and minimum depth. The center console is also tighter and feels like it's not as loose or cheap.

Screens: They're snappier for sure, scrolling and switching apps feels slightly faster without lag when compared to mine. I didn't test this out too much but there is a noticeable improvement.

Cabin: Honestly when I read on Tesla's website that the UHFS was engineered around an ultra-silent cabin I chuckled. Sure, it's not bad, but ULTRA SILENT??? I don't think it's ULTRA silent, but it has come a long way since mine and I think they have a cabin better than many of the luxury competitors out there. Wind noise was at a minimum even while on the highway. I am not technical enough to use a decibel measuring app, but my subjectiveness is what matters to me :) Phone calls had less background noise and any improvement is welcomed. This was never a big issue for me and it's now much better.

These can be big or small depending on the person, but overall the build quality is much better and they have done a solid job improving it. I remember reading somewhere some of these changes cannot be made for the 2016 vehicles and even some delivered this year. So go test it out and see if these differences are enough to warrant a switch. For us, it's got us considering it more than we were before.

@Pandamoanium - excellent writeup - thank you so much for the detail! That has got me considering an X again - rented a couple summer 2016 builds for several weeks a few months back - couldn't deal with the creak/groan/thump/crack/road-noise vs my 2016 S and instead I bought a second S (a 2017 - also improved in NVH over my 2016 btw - similar to your report of the X improvements). I still *need* a vehicle like the X and these myriad small improvements matter to me - thanks for the report. Very good to know Tesla keeps sweating the small stuff!

Trunk: The new rear motor has changed the floor for the storage area. It's not as deep in my opinion but it isn't a huge difference. I can still fit strollers and other items in there with no issues. The covers are thicker and feels sturdier than the one we have. I prefer the handle over the extra leather loop, but takes out the guess work on how to use the handle. Apparently a lot of people couldn't figure it out.

AFAIK, at least until now Tesla has been using the handled rear trunk cover still in the six and seven seaters. The leather loop has been only or mostly for the five-seater.

Indeed Tesla still shows the handled cover for the new folding sever-seater as well in their pictures.

I guess it might be related to leftover stock, but also perhaps to the fact that the handled panel better color-matches the folded third row while the leather looped panel better color-matches the five-seater storage compartment cover in front of it.

A few things that a new Model X does not have that older ones did. I think these are useful to note for anyone looking to upgrade from an older Model X. In no particular order:

1) No motorized second row in seven seater, no monoposts in seven seater (but the new second row bench does fold). (Six seater still available with electric monoposts.)

2) No adaptive, automated spoiler in the Performance version (just a fixed spoiler in all versions).

3) No ventilated or perforated seats (removed from the Premium Upgrades Package).

4) Interior trim selections limited to packages - less combos, less decors.

5) No design alternative to 19" wheels (just the same wheel in two colors).

6) No silver version of 21" wheels (so less wheel choices in total too).

7) No rails for a trunk cover (a panel that would hide what is in the trunk) since around last October, though this was originally used only by some early Signatures - and whomever managed to snatch such a cover from spare parts. (To be fair, this change resulted in a bit more width for third-row shoulder room.)

8) No leather option, all is pleather now. Might be a good thing depending on your PoV, of course.

9) No alcantara on the dash (removed from the Premium Upgrades Package).

10) Two exterior paints less (Titanium and standard white are gone).

And of course Free Supercharging is now limited to qualifying referrals only or based on your existing ownership status until the end of this year.

Another cosmetic difference between my MY16 and later iterations is that the sliding center console storage door doesn't have the material applique. I have the carbon fiber interior and my sliding door is just the standard black rubberized plastic.rather than carbon fiber. Sad to hear the alcantara is gone from the dash. I really like mine.

@Pandamoanium - excellent writeup - thank you so much for the detail! That has got me considering an X again - rented a couple summer 2016 builds for several weeks a few months back - couldn't deal with the creak/groan/thump/crack/road-noise vs my 2016 S and instead I bought a second S (a 2017 - also improved in NVH over my 2016 btw - similar to your report of the X improvements). I still *need* a vehicle like the X and these myriad small improvements matter to me - thanks for the report. Very good to know Tesla keeps sweating the small stuff!
You're welcome!

Creaks and groans usually show up after the first round of seasons/temperatures.

Some materials expand and contract which makes some come and go. I used to be that guy who'd take my previous vehicles in for those. Now I just crank up the music if I'm alone or try to solve it myself before bugging people. I think with every car you'll get a couple here and there.

Yeah, mine doesn't have it and if your MY16 does, I'm not sure when they added it. I'm vin #807. I wonder if it's a material limitation during my production time or a design change.
Probably a design change. If you have the carbon fiber trim, you can get after-market carbon fiber wraps for the console door and the flip door. They come in other colors (piano black, flat black, etc.) but not in wood unfortunately.

Probably a design change. If you have the carbon fiber trim, you can get after-market carbon fiber wraps for the console door and the flip door. They come in other colors (piano black, flat black, etc.) but not in wood unfortunately.

Not a bad alternative, but it's not real carbon fiber like the OEM piece. I might end up just trying to order the door and replacing it myself. It has been suggested that my current one might "break" and I could get it replaced under warranty.