Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Less well known Tesla features / information

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Press and hold the Park button and a red P will appear, no idea what changes though
Supposed to do that when parked on hill. Increases tension in handbrake

can also hold when driving to “emergency stop” if brakes and regen fails. Some use this as a method to ‘clean’ their rear discs if subject to surface corrosion

Reactions: phil4 and Drew57
If you are expecting / hoping for an update to the software version on your vehicle but not receiving a notification, you can “force” a check by going to the Software menu via the car button bottom-left

Pressing the park button on the shift lever after you have pressed park once - unlocks the doors

You don’t have to use the X buttons top-left of windows to close them, just tap anywhere around the pop-up window to return to map view

If you disconnect the door card puddle lights the door handle electronic release stops working and glass will return to highest position until you reconnect the puddle light

The WiFi receiver is in the right-hand door mirror so be sure to park the correct way round to get better connectivity to target router and stop you swearing lots

If you start a wifi-based download for software/game/nav and have premium connectivity (not tested on partial-premium), you can disconnect WiFi and the download will complete via the car’s in-built LTE

Your brakes are in use a lot less than ICE cars so don’t forget to use them properly on a semi-regular basis, they will thank you for it and emergency stops will work better / be more predictable

Your tyres are crucial as with any vehicle but to maintain range/suspension performance be sure to check them regularly when cold and keep an eye on their rolling pressures by swiping left at bottom-right of screen.

Assuming you have reliable home charging, warm the battery up by triggering climate/heating from your phone 20-30 mins before you leave as the weather gets colder, will make your first 1-20 miles much more efficient. It will cost you a few KW on the leccy bill but will pay back through less range anxiety/recharging needed due to lost range.

Prewarming battery is a total waste. Charge your battery when you get home and it’s already warm.

I've not tried that, does it actually stop the pre-conditioning? Pretty much everything I've ever read has said if the car decides it wants to heat or cool the pack it does it, there's no user override.
Yes, you can hear the front / rear motor stop wasting energy (preconditioning the battery stopping) ie it returns to normal mode.

Does that effectively mean reduced power to the wheels whilst pre-con is happening ?
Not sure, but doubt it. Probably some sort of “smart” elements to it by where the motor stops “wasting” the energy and uses it as power since the goal is create an increase in demand on the battery (to heat it up) and acceleration would still count.

Maybe someone with OBD hardware could confirm.

AFAIK, preconditioning also cools down the battery for fast charging, if it’s just been “hammered” and too hot. -in this scenario, there may be less power, but I’m not 100% how the cooling of the battery works

Added a couple more on there, including some animated GIF's showing how to press and drag the media player and climate levels instead of 'clicking' and then dragging.

@M3-Newbie I've typed out what to do, it's an easy one to sort out :)

I like the double mirror dip - the sound of the glass motors forces me to check left and right more than relying on camera first.

It works well, but it's more of a distraction for me when doing something simple like reversing on my drive where I don't have to worry about curbs etc.. arguably less useful since the side cameras got enabled on reverse :)

Added a couple more on there, including some animated GIF's showing how to press and drag the media player and climate levels instead of 'clicking' and then dragging.

@M3-Newbie I've typed out what to do, it's an easy one to sort out :)

It works well, but it's more of a distraction for me when doing something simple like reversing on my drive where I don't have to worry about curbs etc.. arguably less useful since the side cameras got enabled on reverse :)

Thanks! And agreed re mirrors - the cameras are amazing but I want to see real life in my mirrors! Not the floor as the cameras have that covered imho

As if everyone can charge at home...

where ever you “prewarm” charge when arrive instead of when you leave is more energy efficient overall (even with less regen). It cost more to (re)heat the battery than it saves in increased regen. Basically you don’t want to toss the heat in a warmed up battery.

Home work, what ever. Now if it’s free at work or something, go for it.

• Informative
Reactions: M3-Newbie