Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Less well known Tesla features / information

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
where ever you “prewarm” charge when arrive instead of when you leave is more energy efficient overall (even with less regen). It cost more to (re)heat the battery than it saves in increased regen. Basically you don’t want to toss the heat in a warmed up battery.

Home work, what ever. Now if it’s free at work or something, go for it.

You'll get a little more range if it's warm when you set off although I imagine it won't be too noticeable

You'll get a little more range if it's warm when you set off although I imagine it won't be too noticeable

Actually it will feel “better” / more consistent. But the cost of reheating the battery for charging will be more than the savings due to increased regen. You need to measure at your home electric meter delivered from the grid for a cost per mile, not measure from the cars watt meter that was consumed from the battery.

I love creating driver profiles for different circumstances. Examples:

- Mechanic profile. I set this up so when my car is in service and if they change anything it doesn't mess up my settings
- Summer profile. All the settings I like for summer driving with full regen, sport, etc
- Winter profile. All the settings I want for winter. Chill mode accelleration, stop mirrors folding in park, low regen

• Informative
Reactions: Jeeves and Godsense
You need to measure at your home electric meter delivered from the grid for a cost per mile, not measure from the cars watt meter that was consumed from the battery.

Very true, as the charging efficiency changes quite a bit for a range of reasons.

Best option, and a fairly simple one to add to many UK charge point installations, is to fit an energy meter in the supply to the charge point. These are pretty cheap (~£20 or less) and fit to the standard DIN rail inside UK consumer units. These meters are available in both single module (17.5mm wide) and double module (35mm) widths, so if there is any space in the CU feeding the charge point they are usually pretty easy to install. If there's room, get the double module unit, as they are easier to read (don't have to turn your head sideways to read them).

Adding meters to anything in the house that has a hefty power consumption can be quite revealing. For example, I have two of the smaller single module meters inline with the supply to our water heater. One measures the "free" electricity that is supplied by the solar panels, the other measures the paid for electricity used to boost the water heater when there's not enough sun. These show that roughly two thirds of our hot water over the past few years has been "free":

DHW meters.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Mark77a and ElRey
This might be to do with the calendar appointment that appeared on my phones calendar rather than some automatic Tesla thing although I haven’t seen it do it before; but the car this morning was aware it had a service appointment and automatically set the navigation to the service centre when I got in.

This might be to do with the calendar appointment that appeared on my phones calendar rather than some automatic Tesla thing although I haven’t seen it do it before; but the car this morning was aware it had a service appointment and automatically set the navigation to the service centre when I got in.

You can have the car set navigation to calendar events in the phone so expect it to be related to the calendar event in the phone rather than anything clever in the car.

Evening all,

Having seen on the Facebook groups how often people are surprised by the fact you can send Sat Nav destinations from your phone to your car, how lots of people seemingly don't know about "urinal etiquette" etc.. I thought I'd start to put together something hopefully useful for others.

Tesla's less known features / useful information - TeslaEV.co.uk

Any gems I've forgotten on this first iteration of the post?
Dave, I have been really spoiled with Voice Commands
1.) Set Temperture - 72 degrees, etc.
2.) Decrease Fan 2 (lowers fan 2 levels), Increase Fan 3 (increase fan 3 levels).
This is the one voice command that I have experienced that should be changed to Fan Speed 1, Fan Speend 2, etc.
3.) Drives Seat On (Full Heat), Drivers Seat 1 (Level 1 heat), Drivers Seat 2 (Level 2 heat), Drivers Seat Off, etc.
4.) Call "Name"
5.) Text "Name"
6.) Dome Light On, Dome Light Off
7.) Windshield Wipers Auto, Windshield Wipers 1, Windshield Wipers 2, etc.
8.) Display Energy
9.) Fold Mirrors, Unfold Mirrors
10.) Rear Window Heat On, Rear Window heat Off
11.) Window Defrost On, Window Defrost Off
12.) Display Easter Eggs
I have found the list to almost be endless...
Keep your commands as short as possible.

And pressing the button on the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector 10 times will put the charge light into Rainbow Mode.

Last edited: