Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let the hacking begin... (Model S parts on the bench)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, I do not have a harness.

So give it 12v and it should power up with nothing else connected?

You almost certainly won't get the screen to come on with just power, but you should be able to see the LEDs on the MCU board which will tell you how far it is booting. If you have/can make an Ethernet cable and connect to the IC port you should be able to ping the MCU (192.168.90.100) and gateway (192.168.90.102) if it is booting. Here are the power connections:
mcu_power.jpg

I also had an IC I wanted to run, so my harness has a few more wires (IC power, IC wake, CAN between MCU and IC...):
MCU_IC_Harness.jpg

Also, if you use a PC power supply like me for 12V make sure you put a load on the 5V rail or you won't get stable power (I just plugged in an old hard drive I had lying around, worked fine).

MCU power connectors were these:
31372-1000 Molex | Mouser
31372-1100 Molex | Mouser

With these pins (for power):
1326030-2 (Loose Piece) TE Connectivity | Mouser

Alternatively, if you remove the MCU PCB, you can connect two alligator clips or similar to the power pads (which come in via a large flat ribbon cable from the speaker amp behind):
Aligator_Clips.JPG

Great, thanks for the details.

This is well within my ability to do, but exceeds my interest to get it running right now. :)

Would you be interested in a little project if I ship this MCU to you and you throw it on your rig just to see what it does or doesn't do? Maybe I can sell it for parts or part it out.

My wife will kill me.... but sure, I’m in 8)

• Funny
Reactions: GSP and mongo
You can power it up with 12v and ground on the correct pins, no idea what the black wire out the side is, maybe a ground loop? All the tesla black wires I’ve found have been ground.

do you have pics? Feel free to share privately if that works better, but they are very easy to power on with a pc power supply and a few wires.
Maybe the cut end of a diagnostic interface that sits behind the pocket?

Hi Guys,

Will rooting a 1yo tesla, void the standard warranty of 8y on battery and motor?

How does tesla figure out if you got root? Can they refuse repair at SC?

I was reading different threads here, some say you ll get blacklisted from updates and mobile app, some say they don't and still have lte & supercharging on.
What s the truth??

If they get blocked, from where do they get new firmware updates?
Someone must have the newest version , so they would be unrooted, if it was the case Tesla blocked updates.
How would you pull a firmware from a normal car without disassembling the CID...

Last edited:
No, it doesn’t void your warranty, but if you brake it, then it’s on you not tesla.

There’s ways for tesla to figure it out, there are ways to hide! Hint never post publicly and always delete relevant logs...

They do not blacklist you from the mobile app, they technically don’t blacklist you from software updates, they just place you last on the list.

There are ways to install firmware if you have an image, so that’s not a problem, now getting the image on the other hand is the hard part ;)

You can pull a firmware by getting root :cool: