Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let the hacking begin... (Model S parts on the bench)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
JTAG is locked down, so not useful.

The FPGA overlays the rear camera signal on to the display.

Thanks.

With the JTAG, are we talking totally disabled on all devices (Tegra4, SPC5668, SierraWireless module)? Or are some of them in censored mode where you need a password?

It sounds like 8.1 hasn't been rooted yet - has anyone obtained the firmware from an update on an already rooted device?

Is there any setting other than the 3 variables in the gateway config file (internal.dat)? Maybe I have to rewrite the BMS firmware after setting the gw variables? It looks to me that the car with the adapter communicates using the Chademo protocol, as the charge station shows correctly the battery charge status and the car shows the high voltage of the charge station.
Does anybody have an image of the europe navigon card, preferably version EU-Q413 ? Or anybody having an EU car please private message to me, I can help in getting a dump. Also I can also help with many other things ;)[/QUOTE
what sw version ? (for use CHADEMO you need update sw like 7.1 (2.36.31) it is best for me).
Navi contact .... by email.

Reactions: GeorgeCM
Thanks to a good guy from this forum who helped me with EU navigation microSD image. I manage to fix navigation. Now I only have two issues: Chademo and new api key for google map. Both of them I understand can be solved with upgrade to sw 7.1. Bacila, thank you for info, I have sent to you a private message with my e-mail address.

TMC users ought to change their attitude toward rooting, IMO. It’s crazy that there is this veil of secrecy over rooting especially when it could help many salvage owners.

I totally respect those that derived their own exploits and want to keep that secret. But once Tesla patches vehicles and a grace period has elapsed (say 6 months) then it is in everyone’s interest to make those exploits public. It’s disappointing that this is not the case.

TMC users ought to change their attitude toward rooting, IMO. It’s crazy that there is this veil of secrecy over rooting especially when it could help many salvage owners.

I totally respect those that derived their own exploits and want to keep that secret. But once Tesla patches vehicles and a grace period has elapsed (say 6 months) then it is in everyone’s interest to make those exploits public. It’s disappointing that this is not the case.

Once Tesla patches the vehicles what is the point of making the now non-existent exploit public?

I suspect that majority of rooting exploits being used haven't been patched, so they wouldn't fall under your release guideline.

• Disagree
Reactions: apacheguy
Once Tesla patches the vehicles what is the point of making the now non-existent exploit public?

I suspect that majority of rooting exploits being used haven't been patched, so they wouldn't fall under your release guideline.

A fair amount have been patched, actually. But yes, of course I do not expect folks who have working exploits to release them.

Salvage owners do not receive updates. Thus it is in their interest to have these exploits made public. Plus those who are interested in these topics I’m sure will agree. Makes a lot of sense to me.

Reactions: davidc18 and croman
So, here’s the issue, while I completely agree with what @apacheguy is saying, in reality it’s a bit murkier then that only the fools like myself and a few others have shown they exploited there own car, and Tesla rewards you with the blacklist and basically no software updates.

Perhaps a “private” trusted repository would be better then public declarations since tesla has an openly dim view of these things and makes your life much harder for some things.

However private groups with free sharing information could benefit folks and also people stop selling there exploits to tesla for non remote issues would go a long way, Tesla is not finding this stuff on their own, people are selling it to them at the cost of the community.

Last edited:
Actually there is a point in making those exploits public: Others can learn from it. I have absolutely no clue about how the system works, and without root access I have no way to figure out how it works, which means no root access can be obtained. When we get information about what others have done, we can build on that previous knowledge.

And as far as using known unpatched exploits: There should be some kind of community where those things are documented as I think there are quite a few people who want to get root.

Reactions: davidc18
Once more cars get completely out of warranty, I'm sure it will happen. Given physical access to the HW it's not that hard to obtain root access to a linux system. I just know that I'm not pulling my dash apart before the warranty is out ;)

One way to learn more about the system without any of the risks mentioned above, is to buy an used MCU and instrument cluster and play with it. If you dont have the skills yourself, maybe a non-tesla owner (badass hacker) would appreciate the challenge if given the HW for free? ;) At least he wont have to worry about being black-listed.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Join the club! :) The nearest tesla service is 1000 km far away from the place where I live. If you want to keep it alive, you have to learn and do all the service yourself. Once you understand how it works, it is not that hard. But the car is buggy and you have to take care of the small annoying things that sometimes makes you think about buying a diesel! I was driving 10 years Audi and never had an issue. Everybody knows how to do maintenance and I can order and have in 2 hours any part. Unfortunately, because of stupid service policy and lack of service parts, Tesla will loose most of its fans. I personally sold my Tesla shares and will probably buy an electric Porsche or Audi when available.