Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let the hacking begin... (Model S parts on the bench)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
something wrong with squashfs i tryed to reformat both mmcblk0p1 and 2 partitions for ext3 and copy before backuped to usb archivied /usr files and after ( reboot now :) ) CID dead and recovered programming eNAND Hynix so maybe can have expierence with that. I beleave WK are know maybe can take me on right way.
Thanks
View attachment 228557
Hi,
I have just got a CID on my bench. Could you please post a photo with the emmc corresponding pins identified on the tegra board (data, clk, pwr, etc) ? Why was a special programming device needed to read/write the flash, and not used a simple SDcard reader with a dummy SD card connecting the above mentioned pins, and a Linux machine?

Regards,
George

Anyone else watching this as closely as me!?!?
Screenshot_20170910-095916.png

Reactions: MP3Mike
I'm just not sure I want to share. There are some guys selling pre-built cables and I don't want to step on their toes. It took me hours of scouring through catalogs and comparing images before I found it... and that's with my considerable experience with sourcing interconnects. The part number might have been reported somewhere, but I couldn't find it. So I'll let someone else spill the beans. If you need it for some reason other than building an interface cable, then PM me and we can discuss. But if you just need a cable, buy it from this guy. He's gone through the effort, he's not charging an unreasonable price, and its immediately available.

PS, for anyone wondering why they switched parts... I'm going to say it is cost. The TE part used in pre-Sept 2015 Model S costs > $1 at volume. The part used in X and later S's is < $0.30 at volume. The pins used in the TE part are 8 cents each at volume (x 12 per cable) while the new ones are under 1 cent each. Other than cost, I don't know why they'd switch. They both meet the same testing standards and they are physically similar and are both readily available. TE is a huge supplier for automotive connectors and I can't imagine Tesla doesn't have other TE products on board, so I doubt it's a matter of reducing supplier count, but I don't know for sure.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm just not sure I want to share. There are some guys selling pre-built cables and I don't want to step on their toes. It took me hours of scouring through catalogs and comparing images before I found it... and that's with my considerable experience with sourcing interconnects. The part number might have been reported somewhere, but I couldn't find it. So I'll let someone else spill the beans. If you need it for some reason other than building an interface cable, then PM me and we can discuss. But if you just need a cable, buy it from this guy. He's gone through the effort, he's not charging an unreasonable price, and its immediately available.

PS, for anyone wondering why they switched parts... I'm going to say it is cost. The TE part used in pre-Sept 2015 Model S costs > $1 at volume. The part used in X and later S's is < $0.30 at volume. The pins used in the TE part are 8 cents each at volume (x 12 per cable) while the new ones are under 1 cent each. Other than cost, I don't know why they'd switch. They both meet the same testing standards and they are physically similar and are both readily available. TE is a huge supplier for automotive connectors and I can't imagine Tesla doesn't have other TE products on board, so I doubt it's a matter of reducing supplier count, but I don't know for sure.

Personally, I won't buy anything from Maxwell Tech again. Despite the high quality product and quick shipping, the owner wouldn't sell me some extra pins so I could add a few busses to the cable I bought from him, instead suggesting I pay $80 for him to make me one (and was extremely rude in the process).

I ended up buying the exact same OBD connector and pins he sells from dx for $2.82 shipped:

Jtron J1962F OBD2 16Pin Female Connector OBDII Adaptor - Black

I then cut off the old connector and crimped new pins on/added my new one (the pins are very easy to release from the front, but he cut the wires oddly to fit though the strain relief, so it was easier to just start fresh with bare wire). Only took a few minutes, and works perfectly.

The TDC connector on the car can be found earlier in this thread here:
Let the hacking begin... (Model S parts on the bench)

Also here: Chassis CAN Logging To ASCII Text Plus Graphing

This on the car connector is a Sumitomo TS Series 6098-5629. From what I can tell, the only difference between this and 6098-5613 (which seems more readily available) is the color; the -5629 seems to be blue, while the -5613 is white/natural.

The mating female connector I believe is this one:
Sumitomo 0.64II/1.5 Unsealed 20 Position Female Housing [Natural] | The Plug Dealer LLC

This should be the same one on the manufacturer's website, PN 6098-5622:
自動車用部品:Sumitomo Wiring Systems, Ltd

The data pins are .64mm; the power pins are 1.5mm. Sumitomo TS series female pins should be the correct ones. You can find several correct pin options (depending on your wire gauge and desired material) in their component guide here:

http://prd.sws.co.jp/components/series/pdf/en/1705components_je.pdf

Does anyone know if the Tesla has a static public IP on the web browser all the time? Hence, if I go to whatismyip.com on the Tesla, the IP will remain the same on LTE all the time? Maybe @wk057 can advise?

I am working on a site that allows me to control my home automation but I only want my Tesla to access the domain not whoever discovers the domain. So I only want to whitelist a few IP’s on the .htacess file

Does anyone know if the Tesla has a static public IP on the web browser all the time? Hence, if I go to whatismyip.com on the Tesla, the IP will remain the same on LTE all the time? Maybe @wk057 can advise?

I am working on a site that allows me to control my home automation but I only want my Tesla to access the domain not whoever discovers the domain. So I only want to whitelist a few IP’s on the .htacess file

If you're using .htaccess, you can filter on the user agent including "QtCarBrowser". As far as we know, only the Tesla browser sends that user agent. Of course, that could be spoofed, if the attacker knows what the site is looking for.

If you need .htaccess syntax to do that, let me know.

• Informative
Reactions: K-MTG and BigD0g
If you're using .htaccess, you can filter on the user agent including "QtCarBrowser". As far as we know, only the Tesla browser sends that user agent. Of course, that could be spoofed, if the attacker knows what the site is looking for.

If you need .htaccess syntax to do that, let me know.

Thats Great!! Thanks for the advice!!! Would very much appreciate the syntax.

I am working on this on the SmartThing's forum for reference: Announcing HousePanel Control Panel [Alpha]

Reactions: tga
Thats Great!! Thanks for the advice!!! Would very much appreciate the syntax.

I'm no apache .htaccess expert, and there's lots of ways to do it, this is just one, and probably not the best way, but try it anyway.

It requires the mod_setenvif plugin (pretty standard, I think).

Code:
SetEnvIfNoCase User-Agent "^.*(QtCarBrowser).*$" teslabrowser

<Limit GET POST HEAD>
Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all
Allow from env=teslabrowser
</Limit>

• Informative
Reactions: K-MTG
I'm no apache .htaccess expert, and there's lots of ways to do it, this is just one, and probably not the best way, but try it anyway.

It requires the mod_setenvif plugin (pretty standard, I think).

Code:
SetEnvIfNoCase User-Agent "^.*(QtCarBrowser).*$" teslabrowser

<Limit GET POST HEAD>
Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all
Allow from env=teslabrowser
</Limit>

Thanks will put this in after I get the HomePanel SmartThing's integration setup. Will let you know how it goes.

I suppose these 2 variables are supercharger related:
VAPI_fastChargeAllowed,true
VAPI_fastChargeInstalled,true
and are set in gateway vehicle config file (internals.dat):
fastcharge 1
fastchargeinstalled 1

Anybody knows what VAPI_otherFastChargeAllowed variable is used for ? Is it for enabling Chademo ?

Thanks.

I suppose these 2 variables are supercharger related:
VAPI_fastChargeAllowed,true
VAPI_fastChargeInstalled,true
and are set in gateway vehicle config file (internals.dat):
fastcharge 1
fastchargeinstalled 1

Anybody knows what VAPI_otherFastChargeAllowed variable is used for ? Is it for enabling Chademo ?

Thanks.
Otherfastchargeallowed = Chademo can use to charge.