Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let the journey begin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20180107_165609~2.jpg

Final stop tonight Oklahoma City. Please PM if someone in this local cares to see it.

Very relaxed in driving many many miles. Yet still very fun to punch on the on ramps and twisty hills in AZ and while leaving CA. Much quicker than expected. Still working on perfect charging taper. Have been happy thus far charging. Fit and finish are fine. Slept in the back. Seats are actually more flat than our S when sleeping in back.
20180107_121213.jpg

Sorry grammar. Just tired. No @Bighorn.

Just wanted to say thank you for staying at the supercharger in OKC until my friend showed up. He's been dying to see one in person and missed that opportunity when You You came here on Christmas day.

Safe travels!

Now that your approaching half way could you give us some info on average consumption, average speed, temperature and wind?

It seems your Wh/mi is pretty high compared (270-310) to the 240 Wh/mi you had after 100 miles driving before the trip. How come?

Or could be that I started in sunny California and slowly moved in to cooler climates as I headed east. Or it could also be that I decided not to be a watt weenie and actually use air conditioning heated seats and drive it like a real car. Most of those speeds were done to keep with the flow of traffic in Southern California and Arizona. 76 is actually 75 on my GPS so that's the speed I'm running with. That also happens to be the speed limit on most interstates.

If you watch his video, could it be 82mph?
The interesting thing is that in this post a guy on a return trip gets 239 Wh/mi at 80-90 mph (60F, no wind). That is a big difference with this road trip. Cold weather is normally at most -10% in range (or it must be really freezing). But 310 Wh/mi... Uphill maybe?

@outdoors I think it's great that you drive it 'like a real car', since it is a real car. Maybe even more than an ICE ;). Seeing you drive so many highway miles adapting to the flow of traffic makes me wonder where the high consumption comes from. Nice moment btw the 1000 miles landmark and Wh/mi equals kWh.

Last edited:
The interesting thing is that in this post a guy on a return trip gets 239 Wh/mi at 80-90 mph (60F, no wind). That is a big difference with this road trip. Cold weather is normally at most -10% in range (or it must be really freezing). But 310 Wh/mi... Uphill maybe?.
Yeah, that post was confusing. I am skeptical. The flow of traffic on I5 is much less than 80-90mph, speed limit is 70mph out there. My GUESS is that you would need to drive ~70mph to achieve 240 Wh/mi. The guy I talked to (Tesla employee) at the Tejon SuC (intersection of I5/99) reported he was getting ~300 Wh/mi at 80-90mph (going with prevailing wind). He has owned his car over 3 months.

Thanks so much for journaling your road trip here. You have definitely answered what real world usage to expect on real world roadtrips in an aero wheel M3! Invaluable information for me personally, makes the SR vs LR decision clear.

Still the consumption speculation threads go on an on (and mostly very optimistic) :confused: ..

Just rolled into Effingham at 8% from Springfield. Charger ramped up from 70kw to 110 gradually as it got past 10%. Was at 110 at 14%. Held 117 30%to 45. 46% back down to109. At 50% 100. At 55% down to 90. 60% down to 78. 65% down to 70. 70% down to 65.

208.9 mi 58kwh 278whmi. Was about 37 degrees the whole way +-.

Of course. Someone pulls into shared stall. So that's all I got for a taper. Sorry format is horrible. Indianapolis 8pm ish

Just rolled into Effingham at 8% from Springfield. Charger ramped up from 70kw to 110 gradually as it got past 10%. Was at 110 at 14%. Held 117 30%to 45. 46% back down to109. At 50% 100. At 55% down to 90. 60% down to 78. 65% down to 70. 70% down to 65.

208.9 mi 58kwh 278whmi. Was about 37 degrees the whole way +-.

Of course. Someone pulls into shared stall. So that's all I got for a taper. Sorry format is horrible. Indianapolis 8pm ish

Was that with the cabin heat on or off? Great info by the way, also it was formatted just fine.