Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's talk financing rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's another hypothetical scenario in which having an unsecured loan on a vehicle is a huge advantage.

You have an unsecured loan and own the car (have title). Some catastrophe hits you and you are financially devastated to the point you can't pay your note to LS, have to move, take a new job, etc. Maybe your dog bites someone, you foolishly don't have an umbrella policy and you are sued into oblivion losing your personal business or whatever.

With a traditional auto loan, the bank will repossess your vehicle. To someone in one of these devastating situations this is a double whammy as they are starting from scratch (potentially with a bankruptcy, etc.) and now don't have the means to get to a job.

With an unsecured loan and having possession of the car you can take the credit hit, take the eventual garnishment of your wages, etc., but still have the use of the vehicle as it is your personal property and in almost all cases immune from seizure under bankruptcy laws.

P.S. Anyone who has materially high net worth is extremely foolish not to carry at least a $1M or $2M umbrella policy from a major insurer.
This is in the realm I am not educated enough on. I highly doubt anyone purchasing these cars currently are going to be able to go for Ch. 7 versus Ch. 13 in your scenario. I do not reasonably see a judge reviewing a situation like that deciding to let someone keep their vehicle that's 50K+ in value potentially.

Your Lawyer and CPA say that an unsecured loan is riskier than a secured loan? Based on your comments around losing your home, etc., maybe you should shop for some new ones.

I'm not saying an unsecured loan is the be all and end all, I'm saying that if the rate is the same there's virtually no downside and all upside to getting an unsecured loan.

You can feel free to disagree but you've provided nothing even somewhat tangible to back your opinion up.

You've also retreated a couple of times to the "people are stretching themselves too thin" argument.... I don't really quite understand what you are implying. I could write a check tomorrow for multiple Model 3s, that doesn't mean that there aren't reasons to use credit as a tool.

One of the first lessons I learned in finance/econ (I'm an engineer but took one class as an elective) was "let someone else take the risk". If the money is cheap (which it is) then it's better to keep your own liquidity and borrow money for things like car loans, home improvement, etc.
I ask for maximum risk and worst case scenarios on things new to me so yes, I want to know that as unlikely as it is. Hedging is important to me. Knowing full well risks involved and being able to avoid them is how I proceed with finances.

Just because you can pay for multiple ones doesn't mean everyone else can (me included). Sure, I can pay in cash a performance 3, but I'm not stupid when an rate is low. The one thing you learned in your one class is common knowledge to anyone even above average in terms of understanding money so this point is an unnecessary brag.

I'm just trying to understand the potential downside and wondering if it's even something others here have considered and think is a non-worry, which seemingly is the case. I can pull multiple examples out of my ass like you, care for one?

I ask for maximum risk and worst case scenarios on things new to me so yes, I want to know that as unlikely as it is. Hedging is important to me. Knowing full well risks involved and being able to avoid them is how I proceed with finances.

Just because you can pay for multiple ones doesn't mean everyone else can (me included). Sure, I can pay in cash a performance 3, but I'm not stupid when an rate is low. The one thing you learned in your one class is common knowledge to anyone even above average in terms of understanding money so this point is an unnecessary brag.

I'm just trying to understand the potential downside and wondering if it's even something others here have considered and think is a non-worry, which seemingly is the case. I can pull multiple examples out of my ass like you, care for one?

You already have pulled examples the problem is the examples you have pulled are not based in fact.

You have asserted more than once that your home becomes at risk if you default on your unsecured auto loan.

That is simply not the case and if some professional is advising you that it is then they are giving you bad information.

I know multiple people who have filed for bankruptcy. I don't know of anyone who had their personal property seized as a result of the bankruptcy. One couple were both medical professionals with six figure incomes who got in over their heads with businesses they started and went bankrupt.

You can do a search and find articles from actual financial blogs, actual financial advisers, etc., who will explain the pros/cons so do some research and learn more about it for yourself.

Qualifying for a certain loan doesn't make someone a better or worse person than anyone else, certain financial products are tailored for specific parts of the market. Suntrust seems to be targeting a specific demographic with unsecured loans and offering them at competitive rates. They have only been doing this since 2014 I believe so they are pioneering this kind of loan product.

You already have pulled examples the problem is the examples you have pulled are not based in fact.

You have asserted more than once that your home becomes at risk if you default on your unsecured auto loan.

That is simply not the case and if some professional is advising you that it is then they are giving you bad information.

I know multiple people who have filed for bankruptcy. I don't know of anyone who had their personal property seized as a result of the bankruptcy. One couple were both medical professionals with six figure incomes who got in over their heads with businesses they started and went bankrupt.

You can do a search and find articles from actual financial blogs, actual financial advisers, etc., who will explain the pros/cons so do some research and learn more about it for yourself.

Qualifying for a certain loan doesn't make someone a better or worse person than anyone else, certain financial products are tailored for specific parts of the market. Suntrust seems to be targeting a specific demographic with unsecured loans and offering them at competitive rates. They have only been doing this since 2014 I believe so they are pioneering this kind of loan product.
Level with me here? I don’t like the terminology. An unsecured auto loan is just bad wording. The unsecured loan at the end of the day is a personal loan. Do you agree?

A personal loan is a legal binding contract, do you agree?

My hypotheticals are based on a worst case scenario of life hitting the fan. They are meant to be extreme.

Unforeseen illness and joblessness is not the only path to bankruptcy. A failed business venture potentially still has assets to liquidate. It’s failed anyways so forced liquidation is common if people haven’t done so already. If they got out of that holding onto those assets please send me their lawyers contact information. They’re damn good.

Someone bought a house, 500K mortgage and 250K to stay liquid. Business loan with leverage on home, 150K down to secure. Personal loans to help business and could be whatever you like them to be. Business is heavily down now from a great year but not completely lost. 9+ months in the red. Very rare probably and not my personal situation. I only know one family this has happened to. Not exactly the same but being in way over their head and the mixture of secured and unsecured was just poor. Legal fight also drained them.

Also, did a quick reddit search. If r/personalfinance is where you got your information and you don’t think the debt and auto loan industry is effed; you’re 99% more optimistic than me.

Level with me here? I don’t like the terminology. An unsecured auto loan is just bad wording. The unsecured loan at the end of the day is a personal loan. Do you agree?

A personal loan is a legal binding contract, do you agree?

My hypotheticals are based on a worst case scenario of life hitting the fan. They are meant to be extreme.

Unforeseen illness and joblessness is not the only path to bankruptcy. A failed business venture potentially still has assets to liquidate. It’s failed anyways so forced liquidation is common if people haven’t done so already. If they got out of that holding onto those assets please send me their lawyers contact information. They’re damn good.

Someone bought a house, 500K mortgage and 250K to stay liquid. Business loan with leverage on home, 150K down to secure. Personal loans to help business and could be whatever you like them to be. Business is heavily down now from a great year but not completely lost. 9+ months in the red. Very rare probably and not my personal situation. I only know one family this has happened to. Not exactly the same but being in way over their head and the mixture of secured and unsecured was just poor. Legal fight also drained them.

Also, did a quick reddit search. If r/personalfinance is where you got your information and you don’t think the debt and auto loan industry is effed; you’re 99% more optimistic than me.

You've entered a level of hostility where I won't be engaging with you on this topic further, but I will make a few parting comments.

1. You on the one hand state "I don't think your scenario of someone who is financially in such great shape then filing for chapter 7 is very realistic" and then on your very next post start constructing elaborate scenarios where someone has judgments against them that result in a judge ordering liquidation of personal assets which is very uncommon.

2. This is the 2nd time you've claimed I "get my information from reddit". I provided one specific example of someone asking about an unsecured loan thinking it was too good to true in a Reddit thread. All of my actual research of Suntrust and unsecured auto in general did not come from Reddit based on my citing one specific example of someone as incredulous of you "what's the downside?" being in a Reddit thread.

3. An unsecured auto loan is 99% identical to an unsecured personal loan with one important difference.... LS reserves the right to get verification within 60 days of funds disbursement that you spent the funds on a vehicle. It appears it's rather rare that they do this but it could happen... with a regular unsecured loan there are typically no such strings.

Bye, have a nice rest of your week.

I think many of the posts of the secured v. unsecured loan are misguided. Even if the loan is "secured" (i.e., traditional auto loan), the lender can still sue you for money (at least in most states they can). For example, they can repossess the car, sell it (usually at a very low price), and then sue you. The question for a lender is will it make sense to file a lawsuit to collect whatever is owed after the collateral is sold and obviously that depends on the amount and likelihood of collecting a judgement.

The secured lender will be better off in a bankruptcy scenario, but the whole point of the unsecured loan program is to select VERY high credit borrowers who almost certainly will never file bk. Pretty easy for a bank to underwrite that minimal risk.

I think an unsecured loan to high credit individuals makes sense for a lender and borrower in most cases (assuming financial terms are equal). The lender doesn't need to deal with the collateral/car (some states might require them to REPO first which costs money and the lender doesn't need to track insurance, etc.saving administrative costs). Collection will be a relatively easy matter - simple lawsuit for an unsecured note. At the same time, the borrower doesn't need to deal with a lender on title issues, can sell the car at any time Obviously, the Borrower will be sued if they don't pay, but most people with strong credit presumably assume they will repay the loan (as well as their other debts). Only downside for the borrower (assuming interest rate is equal) would POSSIBLY be a ding to your credit score and/or inability to borrow more money in the future.

Reactions: CrazyCoconut
I think many of the posts of the secured v. unsecured loan are misguided. Even if the loan is "secured" (i.e., traditional auto loan), the lender can still sue you for money (at least in most states they can). For example, they can repossess the car, sell it (usually at a very low price), and then sue you. The question for a lender is will it make sense to file a lawsuit to collect whatever is owed after the collateral is sold and obviously that depends on the amount and likelihood of collecting a judgement.

The secured lender will be better off in a bankruptcy scenario, but the whole point of the unsecured loan program is to select VERY high credit borrowers who almost certainly will never file bk. Pretty easy for a bank to underwrite that minimal risk.

I think an unsecured loan to high credit individuals makes sense for a lender and borrower in most cases (assuming financial terms are equal). The lender doesn't need to deal with the collateral/car (some states might require them to REPO first which costs money and the lender doesn't need to track insurance, etc.saving administrative costs). Collection will be a relatively easy matter - simple lawsuit for an unsecured note. At the same time, the borrower doesn't need to deal with a lender on title issues, can sell the car at any time Obviously, the Borrower will be sued if they don't pay, but most people with strong credit presumably assume they will repay the loan (as well as their other debts). Only downside for the borrower (assuming interest rate is equal) would POSSIBLY be a ding to your credit score and/or inability to borrow more money in the future.

Good summary. I haven't seen any evidence, anecdotal or otherwise that an unsecured loan affects your credit score or ability to borrow any differently than a secured loan does.

In theory, I agree with you. Here is the thing though - LS only approves the loan as unsecured IF the borrower has great credit score (the lowest I've seen is 795), low revolving debt, stable income, and significant liquid assets. In otherwise, they only do it for people who don't NEED the loan. If a borrower does not meet their strict requirements, they will offer only a secured loan. The (calculated) risk is minimal for the ones they choose to extend the unsecured loans to.

I was approved for an unsecured loan and I do need the loan. I do not have sufficient liquid assets to buy the car outright. However, I do have excellent credit with a long history and low utilization of revolving credit lines, significant home equity and retirement assets, as well as an income sufficient to support the loan payments. I assume they factored all that in.

Pretty quickly.... their loan officer called me same day I did my loan application over the phone.

However she would not give me any rates without providing additional information such as paystubs, etc.
They called me today and I forgot to actually join so I did that and sent over my paystub hopefully I get a follow up soon since I'm taking delivery next thursday.... I moved it back from tuesday

Just curious why this matters if rate is better than elsewhere? Just don't start missing payments and you're Tesla won't be repossessed, no?

it's not a problem more of a convenience thing. The only reason people are applying for lighstream is for the convenience of an unsecured loan not because of their rates. The purpose is so that tesla can see it as a "cash" payment, rather than possibly having a delayed delivery because of financing problems. We are well aware that they aren't the most organized at this point so any extra steps that they have to do could potentially delay delivery.

it's not a problem more of a convenience thing. The only reason people are applying for lighstream is for the convenience of an unsecured loan not because of their rates. The purpose is so that tesla can see it as a "cash" payment, rather than possibly having a delayed delivery because of financing problems. We are well aware that they aren't the most organized at this point so any extra steps that they have to do could potentially delay delivery.

Guess I didn't realize that was such an issue, makes sense I supposed.

Has that been the experience communicated in the forums, or is it at actual factor proven to speed up or delay delivery?