Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lets work out the Tesla Semi-Truck Technical Specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe a later teardown showed they are not actually halbach arrays. My thought is that the magnets direct the flux from an inner set of stator poles and the outer set of poles act as a typical reluctance motor. That allows twice as many poles, reducing the torque ripple.
To see what I mean, compare the number of stator slots (54) to the number of rotor sections (6). Each pair of rotor sections form a pole pair, giving 3. This is a three phase motor, so requires 6 slots for a full set of stator pole pairs. That gives us 54/3/6=3 sets of stator poles per rotor pole pair. Thus, there is a set of poles formed between the stator poles which align with the rotor shape. Here, the uppercase are the stator poles that align to the rotor reluctance sections, and the lower case are the stator poles that align to the permanent magnet section. The periods correspond to the undriven phase.
NN.ss.nn.SS.nn.ss. repeat 3 times
Net result: large rotor flux sections and small stator phase angle, giving high power and low ripple. Without the magnets, the adjacent stator poles would be 'shorted' through the rotor.
I didn't see that... any links to the later teardown?

I don't think a pure Halbach array can be switched reluctance. The only way that's possible if there is a mechanism to move them. So this always works as a PM motor. And if Tesla calls it switched reluctance, then they might have combined these two systems.

EDIT:

I figured out these are called permanent magnet assisted switched reluctance motors.
Right... in my previous reply to you I said: "The motor used for the 3 and Semi is a switched reluctance permanent magnet (SWRPM) motor."