Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Letter To Elon Musk Regarding P85D Horsepower – Discussion Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla offered to buy the car back from the people who sign this letter but you had to sign something saying you would never buy a Tesla again and wouldn't talk with the media, would that be acceptable? You would get a full refund and would get out of this situation with a company you don't trust and could move on to a car that you would enjoy better.

That's pretty much an all or nothing scenario. I haven't heard any "I hate Tesla, I'm done!" from anyone here. Most folks seem to love their cars and the company (in general), but simply want what they paid for. They shouldn't be banished for that.

If Tesla offered to buy the car back from the people who sign this letter but you had to sign something saying you would never buy a Tesla again and wouldn't talk with the media, would that be acceptable? You would get a full refund and would get out of this situation with a company you don't trust and could move on to a car that you would enjoy better.

That is pretty binary attitude. I hope you do not live your life like that.

And will for sure be the most expensive solution for Tesla - by far. But hey, get rid of those darn customers that dare to question our claims, no matter the cost.

Last edited:

It is an offer I bet some would take. Personally I don't think I would since there still isn't a better car out there, but some would for sure.

At an extreme, I think I'd accept an undo my purchase of the P85D and get my P85 (which has been a loaner since trade I heard) and cash back and call it a day. Then when they finally get things straightened out I'd be happy to order the latest and greatest again, which would still likely be a net profit for them anyway after all is said and done.

But honestly I'm pretty sure it'll just be better and less expensive for them to fix the issue rather than throw away customers who are willing to give them the opportunity to do so.

That's pretty much an all or nothing scenario. I haven't heard any "I hate Tesla, I'm done!" from anyone here. Most folks seem to love their cars and the company (in general), but simply want what they paid for. They shouldn't be banished for that.

And will for sure be the most expensive solution for Tesla - by far. But hey, get rid of those darn customers that dare to question our claims, no matter the cost.

Best I can tell, dsm was just asking a clarifying question (spurred by the post immediately previous to his). I don't see that as recommending an action.

And thanks, wk, for just responding to the question.

It is an offer I bet some would take. Personally I don't think I would since there still isn't a better car out there, but some would for sure.

At an extreme, I think I'd accept an undo my purchase of the P85D and get my P85 (which has been a loaner since trade I heard) and cash back and call it a day. Then when they finally get things straightened out I'd be happy to order the latest and greatest again, which would still likely be a net profit for them anyway after all is said and done.

But honestly I'm pretty sure it'll just be better and less expensive for them to fix the issue rather than throw away customers who are willing to give them the opportunity to do so.

Because the way you live life is better? But getting away from the personal stuff...

I actually believe the point of the question is to show a very possible outcome of pushing Tesla into a corner, and would people then be happy with the result. There are always consequences of one's actions, Tesla's and yours, and those consequences aren't always expected or wanted - so tread lightly, weigh risks etc... before potentially burning a bridge. At first glance this letter may seem innocuous, but there's a ton of potential for it to trigger a response few of you are prepared to deal with as suggested by dsm363. On the other hand, it might turn out all rainbows and sunshine. We'll see.

Yes. I wasn't saying that's what Tesla must do. Just something they might that would solve the issue for them with the customers who are truly fed up with Tesla and want out. I don't live a binary life. I live my life a quarter of a mile at a time.

There is no one solution that would 'make it right' for everyone. Some don't want the car anymore and if they could get all their money back they would. Some want Tesla to simply post accurate numbers. Some want a free Ludicrous upgrade. Some want money back or a discount on a future car. It's impossible for Tesla to create a one size fits all solution short of just taking the car back either with a full refund as above or at a fair private market price.

There is no one solution that would 'make it right' for everyone. Some don't want the car anymore and if they could get all their money back they would. Some want Tesla to simply post accurate numbers. Some want a free Ludicrous upgrade. Some want money back or a discount on a future car. It's impossible for Tesla to create a one size fits all solution short of just taking the car back either with a full refund as above or at a fair private market price.
Yes, its a really tricky situation for Tesla. I am hoping for a Tesla-flavored surprise that noone saw coming:)

It's impossible for Tesla to create a one size fits all solution short of just taking the car back either with a full refund as above or at a fair private market price.

If Tesla fixes P85Ds to have 691hp, 0-100km/h 3.3 seconds and 85P's range, I believe this size fits for all.

I don't think that is impossible, because P90DL can do all those things.

Oh, what way is that?

Step 1: Internally determine if the performance claims by owners are accurate or not. That step already appears partly in process for the Danish group.
Step 2: Fix any firmware/car issues that may be limiting performance.
Step 3: Put together an information package explaining how performance and related numbers were reached so that current and future customers are educated.
Step 4: If any performance and related numbers were erroneously arrived at - person/s responsible are fired.
Step 5: Contact each letter signer individually, have them sign an NDA/can't talk publically etc., etc... then explain what happened from Step 1 thru Step 4.
Step 6: At this point there can be several outcomes depending on what was discovered through prior steps and how each letter signer feels about that.

Why would someone sign nda at step 5? If I were P85D owner I wouldn't sign anything till I have got written deal about solution.

Step 5 is actually step 1 of dealing with individuals. You either agree to keep your mouth shut about information Tesla is going to tell you in confidence and the following negotiations or you don't get an amicable resolution, which leaves you one recourse. A recourse that most have declared they have no wish to employ. Are you now suggesting that people aren't being honest about that?