TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Letter To Elon Musk Regarding P85D Horsepower – Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Andyw2100, Aug 20, 2015.

1. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

That's pretty much an all or nothing scenario. I haven't heard any "I hate Tesla, I'm done!" from anyone here. Most folks seem to love their cars and the company (in general), but simply want what they paid for. They shouldn't be banished for that.

2. rns-e

rns-e Member

#142 rns-e, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    That is pretty binary attitude. I hope you do not live your life like that.

And will for sure be the most expensive solution for Tesla - by far. But hey, get rid of those darn customers that dare to question our claims, no matter the cost.

3. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

It is an offer I bet some would take. Personally I don't think I would since there still isn't a better car out there, but some would for sure.

At an extreme, I think I'd accept an undo my purchase of the P85D and get my P85 (which has been a loaner since trade I heard) and cash back and call it a day. Then when they finally get things straightened out I'd be happy to order the latest and greatest again, which would still likely be a net profit for them anyway after all is said and done.

But honestly I'm pretty sure it'll just be better and less expensive for them to fix the issue rather than throw away customers who are willing to give them the opportunity to do so.

4. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913

Folks, this thread may be worth following for those who want to understand what the P90DL has to offer and what the gap is from the P85D:

Happy Birthday to me... it's a P90D

The new owner, Pete, has been very helpful in answering questions there.

5. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Best I can tell, dsm was just asking a clarifying question (spurred by the post immediately previous to his). I don't see that as recommending an action.

And thanks, wk, for just responding to the question.

6. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Well-Known Member

Because the way you live life is better? But getting away from the personal stuff...

I actually believe the point of the question is to show a very possible outcome of pushing Tesla into a corner, and would people then be happy with the result. There are always consequences of one's actions, Tesla's and yours, and those consequences aren't always expected or wanted - so tread lightly, weigh risks etc... before potentially burning a bridge. At first glance this letter may seem innocuous, but there's a ton of potential for it to trigger a response few of you are prepared to deal with as suggested by dsm363. On the other hand, it might turn out all rainbows and sunshine. We'll see.

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Yes. I wasn't saying that's what Tesla must do. Just something they might that would solve the issue for them with the customers who are truly fed up with Tesla and want out. I don't live a binary life. I live my life a quarter of a mile at a time.

8. darthy001

darthy001 Love my car, hope Tesla can get as great!

@krugerrand Tesla painted themselves into a corner by not responding to any of the people here who contacted them about this issue. Not the other way around.

9. dsm363

There is no one solution that would 'make it right' for everyone. Some don't want the car anymore and if they could get all their money back they would. Some want Tesla to simply post accurate numbers. Some want a free Ludicrous upgrade. Some want money back or a discount on a future car. It's impossible for Tesla to create a one size fits all solution short of just taking the car back either with a full refund as above or at a fair private market price.

10. Krugerrand

Yep, so be prepared for all possible outcomes, even ones you might not have wanted or like in the end.

11. darthy001

Yes, its a really tricky situation for Tesla. I am hoping for a Tesla-flavored surprise that noone saw coming:)

12. Matias

Matias Active Member

If Tesla fixes P85Ds to have 691hp, 0-100km/h 3.3 seconds and 85P's range, I believe this size fits for all.

I don't think that is impossible, because P90DL can do all those things.

13. Krugerrand

I don't thick it's tricky and I don't see Elon, with how he thinks, to see it as tricky. Off the top of my head I can think of a way of making everyone happy.

14. dsm363

That's a hardware fix though. And on thousands of cars. Some are expecting an OTA update that will solve this.

15. darthy001

Oh, what way is that?

16. Matias

Matias Active Member

Yes. But it is not impossible.

17. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I don't believe we know that yet. And on the range AFAIK by the time deliveries started the range was already known for the P85D.

18. Krugerrand

Step 1: Internally determine if the performance claims by owners are accurate or not. That step already appears partly in process for the Danish group.
    Step 2: Fix any firmware/car issues that may be limiting performance.
    Step 3: Put together an information package explaining how performance and related numbers were reached so that current and future customers are educated.
    Step 4: If any performance and related numbers were erroneously arrived at - person/s responsible are fired.
    Step 5: Contact each letter signer individually, have them sign an NDA/can't talk publically etc., etc... then explain what happened from Step 1 thru Step 4.
    Step 6: At this point there can be several outcomes depending on what was discovered through prior steps and how each letter signer feels about that.

19. Matias

Matias Active Member

Why would someone sign nda at step 5? If I were P85D owner I wouldn't sign anything till I have got written deal about solution.

Edit If step 2 fixes problem, then of course it would be possible.

20. Krugerrand

Step 5 is actually step 1 of dealing with individuals. You either agree to keep your mouth shut about information Tesla is going to tell you in confidence and the following negotiations or you don't get an amicable resolution, which leaves you one recourse. A recourse that most have declared they have no wish to employ. Are you now suggesting that people aren't being honest about that?