Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Letter to Mr. Musk from a 1-day old outdated Model S owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty sure he didn't. I believe he said every car in production as of Oct 19th. I'm checking now to verify that.

No matter what he said, use common sense to apply to "cars in production". People are acting as if it's a software command or a few screws that dictate AP1 or AP2.

It's so painfully obvious that
1 - Tesla decided to make all cars after Q3 be AP2.
2 - Stops producing NEW Teslas so the manufacturing lines can be re-tooled for AP2 chassis.
3 - Blow out AP1 cars.

Reactions: davidc18
I will concede so we can move on.

Tesla did the right thing. Geesh.

[Edit] Nahhh...I can't let myself say that

Eh.. when you walk into a room and you can't figure out who the sucker in the room is - It might be you. Dunning Kruger is something you should evaluate and apply to your thought processes when it comes to Tesla business practices.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectroFroggy
The one and only reason I am sympathetic with OP's plight is the long wait time from ordering to delivery. I'm not sure what a reasonable, customer friendly solution from Tesla should be, but I do think some more thought should be given to the matter.

We got our 90D three and half weeks ago, leased, do I feel cheated? No I got the car I ordered and paying for, by the time my 4 year lease is up will autonomous be mainstream or even permitted in the UK? I doubt it! If it is I'll get one with autonomous. In the meantime I'll get on with my life and enjoy the great car that I have and continue supporting Mr Musk in his quest.

We got our 90D three and half weeks ago, leased, do I feel cheated? No I got the car I ordered and paying for, by the time my 4 year lease is up will autonomous be mainstream or even permitted in the UK? I doubt it! If it is I'll get one with autonomous. In the meantime I'll get on with my life and enjoy the great car that I have and continue supporting Mr Musk in his quest.
leases are not a problem for obvious reasons.

What? Resorting to personal insults? wow

It's not a personal insult. I'm quoting Warren Buffet.

"Indeed, if you aren’t certain that you understand and can value your business far better than Mr. Market, you don’t belong in the game. As they say in poker, “If you’ve been in the game 30 minutes and you don’t know who the patsy is, you’re the patsy.”"

and

Whispering Saul

"Whispering Saul, the pseudonym for a financial wizard quoted in a recent Atlantic Monthly article, put it more colorfully. Most of his advice is designed for big investors: “When you borrow five thousand from a bank and you can’t pay back, you’ve got a problem. When you borrow five million from a bank and you can’t pay back, they’ve got a problem.”

But he also tossed off an occasional pointer for small investors: “If you sit in on a poker game, and you don’t see a sucker at the table,” said Saul, “get up. You’re the sucker.”"

-- Point is -- When an entire room is telling you that you are wrong - could there be a chance you might be wrong?

Reactions: Krugerrand
leases are not a problem for obvious reasons.

Leasing also has a major issue in itself. You are paying an exhoberent amount of money to 'rent a Tesla' and returning a premier vehicle just because it doesnt have as many dohickies as one 2 months later.

In the survey I took, most people preferred to buy and were satisfied with their result.

Is it actually smart to lease a Tesla?

Leasing also has a major issue in itself. You are paying an exhoberent amount of money to 'rent a Tesla' and returning a premier vehicle just because it doesnt have as many dohickies as one 2 months later.

In the survey I took, most people preferred to buy and were satisfied with their result.

Is it actually smart to lease a Tesla?

Leasing is not an option for me. I drive too much.

Concerning the issue of upgrades - leasing is less of an issue because you will be able to swap out at the end of the lease and re-insert yourself at the top of the technology chain. Purchasers don't have that option without a possibly large loss in value. Its a guaranteed sale at the end of the purchase.

I have to throw out the opinions of old about Tesla because the game has changed. I am not purchasing my M3 with confidence as I would have 3 weeks ago. Who knows....maybe my M3 will be non-upgradable to something new before it gets delivered as well.
I want to purchase something that will be able to be the latest and the greatest for at least a year. Like ICE cars do. I now realize that Tesla won't make that effort for their customers. Not even for the elite of the financially elite so I know with paupers such as myself don't have a chance.

I know what the knee jerk reaction is going to be. " Well go buy an ice car then ". So please keep your comments.

Let me ask a question. How long will AP 1.0 be supported by Tesla? How long will software / hardware upgrades be presented?

I want to purchase something that will be able to be the latest and the greatest for at least a year. Like ICE cars do.

That isn't even true for all ICE cars. There are often mid-year refreshes and changes...

Really if you want a car that is still going to be the latest and greatest a year later you need to look somewhere other than Tesla, because Tesla doesn't like to stand still.

That isn't even true for all ICE cars. There are often mid-year refreshes and changes...

Really if you want a car that is still going to be the latest and greatest a year later you need to look somewhere other than Tesla, because Tesla doesn't like to stand still.
You know as well as I do that ICE revisions are far and few between. Geesh. Lets stop playing games.

If you would read my posts - I'm buying a Tesla for more than reasons of upgrades. I'm multifaceted.

I hate Teslas upgrade process. I don't think its fair at all. Does that mean I hate Tesla? NO!!.

When someone makes a comment. Stop putting all of the eggs in one basket - making gross conclusions. <------ That comment was not directly made to Mike.

Last edited:
We have been hard on poor GG here. I will confess to a tinge of regret when this was first announced (but kept it to myself). The real issue is that the new hardware is not going to realize its full potential for quite some time. It is entirely likely that further hardware refinements will follow from lessons learned from 2.0 data and software development. I'm going to wait for hardware 2.1 or 3.0 that benefits from this. It's pretty sweet to own an AP 1.0 car for now. No regrets. No apologies.

You know as well as I do that ICE revisions are far and few between. Geesh. Lets stop playing games.

If you would read my posts - I'm buying a Tesla for more than reasons of upgrades. I'm multifaceted.

I hate Teslas upgrade process. I don't think its fair at all. Does that mean I hate Tesla? NO!!.

When someone makes a comment. Stop putting all of the eggs in one basket - making gross conclusions. <------ That comment was not directly made to Mike.

dead_horse.jpg

• Funny