Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

License Plate Bulb replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now I'm having the same LED issue with my VLED. My left side LED is not working intermittently. It weird because when I first turn on the car, both lights are working. After a few minutes of driving, it turns off. I did some tests - switched the LED to the right side (did not work), switch the white plastic that holds the LED with the LED to the right side (did not work), moved the right LED to the left side (works). So I think in conclusion, I have a faulty LED.

Hopefully, the replacement LED will solve the problem. Will report back after a month or two. :crying:

Hi all,

I thought I'd post an update, if anyone is interested.

So I continued having intermittent reliability issues with my VLEDs. Instead, I now got a set of LEDs from Abstract Ocean (http://www.abstractocean.com/led-licence-plate-bulb-kit/). I have had them over a week now, and all I can say is that they work beautifully and reliably. I am SUPER happy.

1. These bulbs worked right off the bat - no flickering, flakiness, "sensitivity" to how much I tightened/loosened the screws, or other non-sense. They. just. work. Funny thing is, out of habit I keep checking on them half-expecting one bulb to be off, but no, they keep working :)
2. They are just a tad brighter than the VLEDs.. fantastic.
3. They give off nice white light and look great. Just a touch warmer in colour than the VLEDs, but I think it looks better this way and matches the backup/reverse white LED lights.

If anyone is interested, I can post some pictures of the lights working. BTW, if it makes any difference, my P85 was delivered Sept 30 2014.

In the mean time, here's a comparison photo of the VLEDs (the "rounder" bulb) and the bad boys from Abstract Ocean (the "block" bulb). Notice the thick white insulation at the sides! (The VLED bulb has black insulator tape that I stuck on, to no avail).

Ben

IMG_6161.JPG
IMG_6162.JPG
IMG_6163.JPG

Those look nice. Seems to be a refinement of AGT's design: Amazon.com: AGT 36mm LED Bulbs Pair White 6000K 3423 3425 46413 6418 6423 6451 6461 6475 6476 6461 6486X: Automotive

I would have ordered AO's version a few weeks ago when I replaced mine had I known AO worked to develop an improved model.

I guess that technically they're a refinement on the basic design, but they are an entirely different bulb and manufacturer. I tried the AGT ones, but as they state on the listing, the all-metal body makes them susceptible to shorting. Also, 36mm is not quite the right dimension to match the OEM bulbs, and 6k doesn't quite match the other LED lamps on the car. All small details, but that's what makes us special :)

The AGT bulbs I got over a year and a half ago have been flawless. I got the 36mm and they seemed to fit perfectly. What is the correct dimension? They have little plastic insulator rings as well -- are they not sufficient to prevent shorting?

The AGT bulbs I got over a year and a half ago have been flawless. I got the 36mm and they seemed to fit perfectly. What is the correct dimension? They have little plastic insulator rings as well -- are they not sufficient to prevent shorting?

Not sure about the insulator ring, I'm just going by what they mention in their Amazon listing:

All Metal body - careful not to short when installing.

36 is a little short, but based on a sample of around 12 OEM bulbs, there's quite a wide tolerance in these things.

Hi all,

I thought I'd post an update, if anyone is interested.

So I continued having intermittent reliability issues with my VLEDs. Instead, I now got a set of LEDs from Abstract Ocean (http://www.abstractocean.com/led-licence-plate-bulb-kit/). I have had them over a week now, and all I can say is that they work beautifully and reliably. I am SUPER happy.

1. These bulbs worked right off the bat - no flickering, flakiness, "sensitivity" to how much I tightened/loosened the screws, or other non-sense. They. just. work. Funny thing is, out of habit I keep checking on them half-expecting one bulb to be off, but no, they keep working :)
2. They are just a tad brighter than the VLEDs.. fantastic.
3. They give off nice white light and look great. Just a touch warmer in colour than the VLEDs, but I think it looks better this way and matches the backup/reverse white LED lights.
I just bought and installed a set of the Abstract Ocean LED bulbs today. Very snug fit and look great. Very happy with them so far.

I just bought and installed a set of the Abstract Ocean LED bulbs today. Very snug fit and look great. Very happy with them so far.

Me too. You cannot believe how such a small thing has been so frustrating.. that having them finally working has made me happier than I should be over something like this. These bulbs are great!

Anyway, a few people PM'd for a pic; I've attached one. I could do one in daylight too if requested.

Ben

IMG_5734.JPG

So my VLEDS went on the blink and one burned out (actually some of the VLEDS actually burned right off like they shorted!).

Found something to try at Metropolis Metrotown (Burnaby, BC) - Overdrive Auto Tuning Ltd near Winners/HomeSense.

Very inexpensive at $5.99 each. Part # 36mm-2smd-w-canb (36mm festoon 2 smd led while canbus). A little less light than the VLEDS, but I like them.

They clipped in very snug, but not into the cover. Anyway he looked up which ones should be used and that's what came up, so I went for it.

2015-02-10 17.55.06.jpg

Last edited: