Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

License Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2017 MS has a front plate mounting frame. In FL, we do not require front plates. I put in a cool Tesla plate just to make it look good. If you do not have a spot to mount the plate, is there a way to use the tow hook socket? I have an Aston Martin with no front plate mount. They make a bracket that attaches into this socket for mounting front plates. Not sure if that would work on your model year??

So I live in a state that requires a front license plate.....Ugh? Any suggestions on placement for my plate....
the newer cars are delivered with front plate brackets installed and the older cars can have plates mounted by drilling the nose cone. there are a few aftermarket solutions that use "temporary" mounts. search around for more info.
some here will recommend skirting the laws, and many seem to get away doing that and doing so is a choice only you can decide if it is right for you.

My 2017 MS has a front plate mounting frame. In FL, we do not require front plates. I put in a cool Tesla plate just to make it look good. If you do not have a spot to mount the plate, is there a way to use the tow hook socket? I have an Aston Martin with no front plate mount. They make a bracket that attaches into this socket for mounting front plates. Not sure if that would work on your model year??
that front bracket is easily removed, there is a tool that works well, the service centers used to remove them on request but I don't know if that is still done.

Do they actively enforce/charge fees for the rule? I'd keep it in the trunk.
This. Maybe look up the cost of the fine in your state, but to me it's worth the (low) risk of a ~$70 ticket. They're legally required here, but it is extremely common to see luxury/sports cars going without.

When I got my first BMW, the dealer asked me whether I wanted them to mount the front plate. I was like, duh, of course! Within a month I regretted my decision, noticing how great other cars like mine looked without it.

The fee is up to 200 bucks in Texas. There was a brief period of time where due to a loophole in legislation no monetary penalty/fee was associated with not having a license plate in front. You could only get a warning when pulled over (I know because it happened to me in my brand new red car on my way from Houston - the police officer helped to explain it).
This loophole has been fixed ever since: Texas Law Change: $200 Fine for No Front License Plate

• Informative
Reactions: WhiskySTL
The fee is up to 200 bucks in Texas. There was a brief period of time where due to a loophole in legislation no monetary penalty/fee was associated with not having a license plate in front. You could only get a warning when pulled over (I know because it happened to me in my brand new red car on my way from Houston - the police officer helped to explain it).
This loophole has been fixed ever since: Texas Law Change: $200 Fine for No Front License Plate
Do you have a front bracket from Tesla?

So I live in a state that requires a front license plate.....Ugh? Any suggestions on placement for my plate....

Dismissal Options - Municipal Court

$10 admin fee after you "fix" it. When I lived in TX I zip-tied the plate to the front grill, took it down, paid the $10 and then cut it right back off.

Of course, this only works once.. but you can test the waters for only $10 and see how bored the police are in your area.

I live in CA where it's required to have both plates, but I think I've seen only one Model S with the front plate. We have a fix it ticket system here where if you get a ticket for not having the plate you go to a police station to prove you fixed the issue and pay about $10.

In Texas, I would say I've seen less than 50% with a front plate. I always look because I have no plate and I feel a little guilty about it.

I've been pulled over once for not having a front plate, and that was within a mile of the Victoria, TX supercharger. It was pretty clear that the young officer just wanted to look at the car. We spent more time talking about the car, its range, and the supercharger network than we did about the infraction. I was given a verbal warning and let go with no citation whatsoever.

In Texas, I would say I've seen less than 50% with a front plate. I always look because I have no plate and I feel a little guilty about it.

I've been pulled over once for not having a front plate, and that was within a mile of the Victoria, TX supercharger. It was pretty clear that the young officer just wanted to look at the car. We spent more time talking about the car, its range, and the supercharger network than we did about the infraction. I was given a verbal warning and let go with no citation whatsoever.
usually interactions with the coppers are without incident but in this day and age, giving the cops any reason to interact with you could morph into other issues. when my children were young (cops love to harass teens) I was fastidious in teaching them to never give a cop a reason to stop them. tail lights, headlights, things like that were in good working order and they, as much as they could, followed the regs.
I am not going to preach about front plate laws but if I lived in a place where they are required I would have it on the car and I would work to get a critical mass of people to advocate politically to get the laws altered.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Over almost 20 years and between 2 states (one being TX) which required front plates, never got warning or ticket. Even when being pulled over for speeding occasionally, never was even mentioned. Your experience may vary.