Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Licensed Honolulu Electrician for Installation of Charging Outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
240/20? That's very odd. What rate will you be able to charge at? 16 amps? What's that - something like 6 miles per hour of charge rate?
It's a somewhat unusual choice since there's not much that gets run on 240V/20A, but it's a great choice for a simple EV charging point install so long as you can get a proper adapter. If you can live with only charging the EV on the circuit, you wouldn't have to change the wiring (assuming it was properly wired for 20A) and you'll get double the charging speed as plugging into a 120V/20A receptacle. Plus the efficiency of 240V is a bit better than 120V so you gain a little extra there. Actual rate for continuous load is 240V/16A which translates to ~3.84 kW.

It's a somewhat unusual choice since there's not much that gets run on 240V/20A, but it's a great choice for a simple EV charging point install so long as you can get a proper adapter. If you can live with only charging the EV on the circuit, you wouldn't have to change the wiring (assuming it was properly wired for 20A) and you'll get double the charging speed as plugging into a 120V/20A receptacle. Plus the efficiency of 240V is a bit better than 120V so you gain a little extra there. Actual rate for continuous load is 240V/16A which translates to ~3.84 kW.

For some the choice maybe unusual, odd or different, but hey, for me, it works! I had spare 20amp breaker, a licensed electrician and it's 4 times faster then a 110V/15 amp circuit!!! That's all I need! Plus that NEMA 14-50 dryer outlet would stick out too far for my taste!

Reactions: mociaf9 and nwdiver