Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Life with Autopilot: 1500 miles trip report

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Minor detail but 'altitude-based' autopilots should be 'attitude-based' autopilots.
Ah, may I claim that was a typo? The oddity is that a good many of the older attitude-based autopilots had no ability to sense stresses, so would contentedly overstress and airframe while trying to maintain altitude. Disconnecting altitude hold could eliminate the issue. Telling ATC "unable to maintain altitude" while entering, for example, mountain waves is always expected by controllers especially on hot afternoons.

- - - Updated - - -

so they fly differently depending upon how much of a d*** the pilot is?????
Yes! There were more 25-series lear pilots who had done barrel rolls than who had not. Past tense because there are very few of those still flying because they cannot meet modern noise limits and they also were very, very thirsty. Some have been reengined, but the economics hardly justify the effort.

There were a few people who tried to kill me doing the infamous, but required V-1 cuts (simulated one engine failing at the most critical point of takeoff), because the aircraft was so demanding. OTOH, it climbed very well on a single engine.

Day four:
I have already posted some thoughts about yesterday. There are a few others.
1. Based on four day experience i am prepared to say that finally tesla has largely fixed the Navigation issues. Several times during these days the nav has not sent me for unneeded charging, nor has it back-tracked. This has been a huge advance and makes the Nav much better. By bypassing unneeded charging the effectiveness is back to what I'd expect. For my trip later today I will be going from South Charlotte to Asheville, an altitude rise of 1700 feet and with the expected twists and turns of low mountains. The Nav is NOT sending me to Charlotte Supercharger even though it would only be a few minutes out of my way.

2. The Nav improvements make me suspect we are probably not too distant from Nav and GPS linking to the Autopilot. That will be a major advance.

3. The major weaknesses in ability to perceive entry, exit and road split signs seem to be quite difficult things to resolve, but I think we are probably close. After all MB runs a successful S500 autonomously, Nissan has a few, including the Q50 Infiniti, BMW, VW, GM and others all have pretty advanced tests. That is all not to mention Google. The real difference is that Tesla has released limited functionality before others, albeit calling it Beta. My guess: all that massive data will yield very rapid improvements. My fear: Idiots can certainly ignore the need for continuous monitoring and some will crash. That is a challenge.

Today will be my first trip with a passenger, so my posts tomorrow will reflect a more normal usage pattern for the AP.

Day five was only local in Asheville. Day six was a fairly long trek on the Blue Ridge Oarkway and minor roads connecting in various points. With as much as 4500 feet altitude gain on one side and a day of ups and downs I have a few observations:

1. The autopilot does not function on tight mountain conditions. Absent highway marking both side it cannot cope. In really tight turns it cannot cope.
2. The P85D loves those same conditions. Going from 2200 ft to 6000 ft on about 17 miles the car is impeccable. Obviously that requires hand driving.
3. The auto steer works pretty well on mountainous Interstate highways so long as there is traffic. It seems to require traffic to affirm other sensors.

Other comments relate to unrelated topics so I will post them in appropriate places.

Tommirrow will be a few hundred highway mikes so I will find out if the autopilot has really been improving.

Day five was only local in Asheville. Day six was a fairly long trek on the Blue Ridge Oarkway and minor roads connecting in various points. With as much as 4500 feet altitude gain on one side and a day of ups and downs I have a few observations:

1. The autopilot does not function on tight mountain conditions. Absent highway marking both side it cannot cope. In really tight turns it cannot cope.
2. The P85D loves those same conditions. Going from 2200 ft to 6000 ft on about 17 miles the car is impeccable. Obviously that requires hand driving.
3. The auto steer works pretty well on mountainous Interstate highways so long as there is traffic. It seems to require traffic to affirm other sensors.

Other comments relate to unrelated topics so I will post them in appropriate places.

Tommirrow will be a few hundred highway mikes so I will find out if the autopilot has really been improving.

G'day Mate, To date that sounds great. Hope we get it here in OZ "soon".

Days six and seven were just over 600 miles of highway driving. I now have passed 12,500 miles and my first service is scheduled for next week.
A surprise for my passenger and me was how much highway behavior had improved since the first day, a week ago.
Have no doubt, the AP is learning form experience. How all that feedback is being incorporated i do not know, but it is happening.

The first days the auto steering wanted to leave a highway whenever the lane markings on the outside disappeared. Now, the last two days, the AP remains calm and collected when that happens. How I do not know, but it is much more intelligent than it was.

Today, driving 450 miles from Georgia to Miami the AP behaved like a seasoned pro. Construction zones did not present a problem for her, nor did heaving traffic. Passing through I95 in Jacksonville, FL (a perennial construction zone), the AP managed speed control and one control quite perfectly. Several times i was about to assume control when she made critical corrections.

In typical South Florida Friday rush hour congestion she performed admirably. For the first time the AP actually reduced my workload. After almost ten hours of driving I was relaxed and alert during the typical Miami Friday afternoon mess. Now, a few hours later, I am still elated by the performance.

I understand all the people who complain that the AP is not perfect. I understand that they want performance better than anything that exists in the world today. I disagree with them;

As it is today, Tesla has delivered a driving experience far better than any delivered to consumers by any other manufacturer. Other can get there and will. Tesla can get much better, and will. There is no link to Navigation, no recognition of road signs, and the list goes on. However, Tesla has begun the journey and we ar all a party to the journey.,

Finally, my car has been almost trouble-free during the first 12,500 miles. My first 12,500 miles have been a constant pleasure for me. Superchargers are continuing to open where i need them. Features have constantly been added.

This last 1500 miles has convinced me that the critics really are missing the point. The point is that the ICE-age has been supplanted. Quibble about quality issues or complain about ridiculous claims the 691 HP have not been delivered. Argue that wind noise or tire noise are irritating. There are no door pockets, no hangers for coats. These are our complaints?

So, my end conclusion is that the AP, as now delivered, is a huge advance. I am looking forward to improvement. It will happen.

I hate to be an apologist for anything, but I do love my Tesla. During the 3.700 miles I drove during the last month I understand why: This car redefines what 'car' means.

Very very nicely said. This should be required reading for anyone posting here. We are part of something that's going to change the world!

While I try not to be negative, I am very tired if the nit picking of first world problems that goes on and on. "No 691HP" "Make me wait for my upgrades" .........Get a life!

I was able to get a loaner P85D prior to by MX delivery. One operational question I can't seem to answer. When the TACC is set the first time, it lock in a speed. Let's say it's set at 65 MPH. I disable it by pushing the stick backwards. When I enable it again by pulling the stick forward, it's still set at 65. If I'm doing 35, I want to enable it at my current speed. How do I do that without going through the process of starting it up at 65 and then trying to quickly reduce the setting to 35? Most vehicles have one button that set the cruise at the current speed and another button that resumes the previous speed setting. Pulling the lever back is the resume option. What is the set new speed option?

I was able to get a loaner P85D prior to by MX delivery. One operational question I can't seem to answer. When the TACC is set the first time, it lock in a speed. Let's say it's set at 65 MPH. I disable it by pushing the stick backwards. When I enable it again by pulling the stick forward, it's still set at 65. If I'm doing 35, I want to enable it at my current speed. How do I do that without going through the process of starting it up at 65 and then trying to quickly reduce the setting to 35? Most vehicles have one button that set the cruise at the current speed and another button that resumes the previous speed setting. Pulling the lever back is the resume option. What is the set new speed option?

It's the same as setting it the first time - pull down on the stalk.

While at 35 and not cruising, turn the TACC counter-clockwise, like making a left turn signal.

I figured it out by accident. Instead of pulling the lever towards you (as to re-engage TACC), push the lever down. It will take your current speed as new TACC target.