Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
'17 90D, 73k miles, average consumption is 344Wh/mi. Quite high compared to Raven. I don't drive in a performance oriented manner either. On the contrary actually I would consider myself an efficient driver. I wonder if it all boils down to the Raven motors or if there's more to it.

I haven't had my car long (500 miles) but the wh/mi numbers seem far too good to be true. I need to actually fill it then drive x miles and fill again to verify I guess.

Driving in autopilot auto nav today, running around 65 with Windows down and fan on low, no ac , got 198/mile. Crazy if true?

I haven't had my car long (500 miles) but the wh/mi numbers seem far too good to be true. I need to actually fill it then drive x miles and fill again to verify I guess.

Driving in autopilot auto nav today, running around 65 with Windows down and fan on low, no ac , got 198/mile. Crazy if true?
Very low, but not impossible. Your weather and temps seem perfect for driving. Probably don't expect to keep those numbers over the long run.

Reactions: Eric M
It was calm that day. Elevation didn't change a lot. I'm still slightly skeptical if the wh/mi will match the kwh i have to put back in. Has anyone done that experiment: start full, record wh/mi after a couple 100 miles then see if the kw need to return to full matches up?

2016 Model S 75. 21k miles since my last trip reset and coming in at 323 wh/mile.

Attachments

• IMG_0984.jpeg
    IMG_0984.jpeg
    646.8 KB · Views: 92
Hit the one year anniversary today. A decent amount of utilizing the torque available. Highway speeds relatively sane - usually mid 70's. No snow driving that would kill the efficiency. 287 Wh/mi is better than I expected and right at the EPA rating. I'm pretty happy with how efficient the car has been.
Tesla IC @ 1 year.jpg

Here 2018 Model S100D, 21", lifetime average of 224Wh/km. Which is 359Wh/m.

My driving style is really relaxed, always drive with chill mode, look ahead and on the highways mostly drive 100km/h (62m/h).

Comparing my values seem like my consumption is really bad....

Here 2018 Model S100D, 21", lifetime average of 224Wh/km. Which is 359Wh/m.

My driving style is really relaxed, always drive with chill mode, look ahead and on the highways mostly drive 100km/h (62m/h).

Comparing my values seem like my consumption is really bad....

The 21" wheels probably contribute to the poor Wh/Km. I notice you're in the NL, if you have the heat on a lot that will increase energy usage.

The 21" wheels probably contribute to the poor Wh/Km. I notice you're in the NL, if you have the heat on a lot that will increase energy usage.

I know that 21" influences consumption a lot but unfortunately for most reports on consumption the wheel size isn't mentioned. Still, at most 10% meaning with 19" it would not be less then lifetime average of 202Wh/km or 323Wh/m. When it gets really could (usually January/February) I swap the 21" for 19" wintertires. In winter driving 100km/h with my 19" on long distances gives me a 200wh/km consumption which is pretty much identical to my 21" during sprint/autumn. Only in summer when the temperatures are ~25 degrees celsius I can get 150wh/km when I drive 90km/h with my 21".

Still, even accounting for wheel size I'm under the impression that my consumption is higher than average.

Only in summer when the temperatures are ~25 degrees celsius I can get 150wh/km when I drive 90km/h with my 21".
I think the heat is what's causing your high consumption; much more than the 21" wheels. The cabin heater and the battery heater can each use something like 6kw when it's cold enough.

If you have a short drive, say ~10 km, try preheating the car, then drive with the heater off. Keep the seat heat on if you like. Check your energy use for that trip, I think you'll be surprised.

My 21" wheels don't increase my consumption. They're square so folks with wider 21" wheels in the rear probably do see increased consumption.

My P85DL lifetime has risen from 303 since Covid started to 308 since what driving I do now are all short trips. I did make a rare longer trip yesterday to Modesto to buy new garage door openers from a Liftmaster dealer. That was 95 miles round trip with an average of 278 wh / mile at 65F.

I drive a 2020 Model S Performance with custom forged 21” wheels.

During my normal 120 mile daily commute, I average about 260 Wh/mile. I have it usually on cruise at 67 mph. I do rip it other times, so my average is about 280-283 Wh/mile. See bellow.
FDCBB396-41FB-45C3-960B-F69FD210E3CA.jpeg

Attachments

• 67045DC7-4A64-4C25-A8D6-9FCCBDDB0666.jpeg
    67045DC7-4A64-4C25-A8D6-9FCCBDDB0666.jpeg
    509.1 KB · Views: 42
I've had mine for almost a year and have just under 15K miles and have been really pleased with it. I'm in Minnesota and have driven it in -15F temperatures. The TeslaFi chart below starts after I had the car for 850 miles or so, thus missing some of the early very cold temperatures, plus very short < 10 mile trips. I've got 279 Wh/mile overall on nearly 15K miles. There are some short grocery store trips in January with ~800 Wh/mile where the regen doesn't even work due the extremely cold battery! The car's build date is November 2019, so is a Raven. My longest trip on one charge is about 320 miles from Minneapolis, MN to Appleton, WI in June. I left with 100% and arrived with 18% SOC after 1-2 rest stops along the way and drove speed limit +5-10 mph. My tires are the 19" Goodyear all seasons.

20201213_200216525_iOS.jpg
Screenshot 2020-12-13 141833.jpg

Reactions: aerodyne
Do you do a lot of downhill drives? I see your efficiency over 100% in some ranges.
It looks to me like those are when I don't have the AC or the heat on judging from the temperature ranges at the bottom. We have rolling hills in Minnesota and Wisconsin, and I don't do one-way trips, so every hill I go down I later go back up. Plus, if you look at the right side of the chart, those data points are represented by >750 miles of travel.

It looks to me like those are when I don't have the AC or the heat on judging from the temperature ranges at the bottom. We have rolling hills in Minnesota and Wisconsin, and I don't do one-way trips, so every hill I go down I later go back up. Plus, if you look at the right side of the chart, those data points are represented by >750 miles of travel.

Maybe it's the way they do their calculations. They may use the EPA Wh/Mi as 100%. If that's the case I would beat it sometimes too. Usually on mild weather days.