Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
May_1_2015_jerry.jpg

I treat getting low Wh/mile like a game and thus concentrate on it virtually all the time that I am driving. For me that is as much fun as others get from driving fast.

Do you have an 85 or a 60 as it's not in your header? (I'm sure you've said, but I've slept since then).

And you're right. It's fun, although after many years of practice it's so automatic I don't really have to think about it much.

jerry33 I have a Signature P85 with 19" aero wheels that I got almost exactly a year after first taking delivery of the car.
I would have loved the aero wheels, but they weren't available when I ordered mine and then they were way too much until the last few weeks of availability. (Having them unavailable and/or overpriced for most of the time they were sometimes offered probably didn't help their sales any).

20150420_222254.jpg
Getting below 300 from decemiber to march is impossible even with overinflated R2s, range mode and rarely using climate control. Snow on the road, ice and air resistance increasing in subzero temps takes its toll :) After 3 weeks in late march to mid April I was at 240 with Nokian R2, but then ccame goodyear RS-A2 with its horrible coldweather rolling resistance...

A little more than a year of Model S, 81,000 km (50.6 k miles). Summer and winter, city and Autobahn.

First it was lower, because we didn't have so many Superchargers - slowed down to make it to destination. That changed dramatically allowing higher speeds on the Autobahn. Now the monthly and the yearly average are very close: 227 Wh/km (363 Wh/mi), slighly less in winter. Seems the temperature penalty in winter is compensated by the lower speed on snow and ice.

I had the 19' wheel and all year tires on all along. Still first set, except for an early damage on a rear tire during the first month.

Just a heads up to those who are concerned about average energy and are considering going from a P85+ to a P85D. At 3000 miles I was at 270 Wh/mi on my P85+. My commute is relatively short, fairly flat, and I live in CA where it is almost always sunny. At 500 miles I am at 364 Wh/mi driving almost identically. Unless we get a software release that allows us to put the car into two wheel drive, do not expect anything even close to the results of the single motor car. Note, absolutely not a complaint and I fully expected this. The additional performance comes at a price.

I have about 1700 miles and am averaging 424wh/mi. I have tried to "baby" it and don't believe I have ever gotten below 400 over an entire day.

I do have a 1 1/2 mile 850ft climb to my house, but even before i start the first climb home I am usually already over 400wh/ mile.

Guessing Seattle is just too hilly? I didn't scan the entire thread, but I am not seeing anyone close to my usage.

yup, I think the hills make those low wh/mi numbers an impossibility. I live on a 600' hill, and the area has numerous elevation changes... lifetime is 343, without air conditioning I can get it to 320, but the 270 numbers others are showing are just not possible in this terrain. I guess there is a difference with the D vs my single motor... surprised it can be 10-20%

I have about 1700 miles and am averaging 424wh/mi. I have tried to "baby" it and don't believe I have ever gotten below 400 over an entire day.

I do have a 1 1/2 mile 850ft climb to my house, but even before i start the first climb home I am usually already over 400wh/ mile.

Guessing Seattle is just too hilly? I didn't scan the entire thread, but I am not seeing anyone close to my usage.

I have a P85D on order for "Late June delivery". So excited. Reading these TMC posts have taught me a lot. I too plan to leave the Trip B odometer untouched and watch my lifetime wh/mi average. My Tesla salesman gave me a hint for improving range on road trips in cold weather.
As everyone knows, you preheat the cabin while plugged in for about 5 minutes for local driving. The battery pack will be cold when you depart and will have to heat itself up using energy. This no worry for around town and back home. But for a road trip with a cold soaked car, you preheat the cabin for 20 minutes. This cause the battery pack to heat up so it won't have to use energy to heat itself after you unplug and drive.

P85D, midnight silver metallic, 19" cyclone wheels, dual chargers, air suspension, Autopilot

I have a P85D on order for "Late June delivery". So excited. Reading these TMC posts have taught me a lot. I too plan to leave the Trip B odometer untouched and watch my lifetime wh/mi average. My Tesla salesman gave me a hint for improving range on road trips in cold weather.
As everyone knows, you preheat the cabin while plugged in for about 5 minutes for local driving. The battery pack will be cold when you depart and will have to heat itself up using energy. This no worry for around town and back home. But for a road trip with a cold soaked car, you preheat the cabin for 20 minutes. This cause the battery pack to heat up so it won't have to use energy to heat itself after you unplug and drive.

P85D, midnight silver metallic, 19" cyclone wheels, dual chargers, air suspension, Autopilot

More or less correct, but I like to preheat for 15-30 minutes for local driving, and for long range driving, I like to finish the charge close to departure time along with 1-2 hours of cabin preheating with the temp set 5-10 degrees warmer than normal. Then there are nuances like range mode off for preheating, and on for distance travel, use seat heaters over cabin heat while driving, etc...

More or less correct, but I like to preheat for 15-30 minutes for local driving, and for long range driving, I like to finish the charge close to departure time along with 1-2 hours of cabin preheating with the temp set 5-10 degrees warmer than normal. Then there are nuances like range mode off for preheating, and on for distance travel, use seat heaters over cabin heat while driving, etc...

Good advice for us cold weather drivers. But 1-2 hours of cabin preheating. Isn't that a bit long? It should be plenty toasting at half an hour even when it's subzero outside.

Good advice for us cold weather drivers. But 1-2 hours of cabin preheating. Isn't that a bit long? It should be plenty toasting at half an hour even when it's subzero outside.

2 hours might be excessive for the long trip, but 45-60 minutes to warm-soak all the interior and make the battery toasty is not excessive at all, and that is starting with a 45˚ F. garage.

See my write up at Realistic Range Expectations in Crummy Winter Weather - Page 2 for a winter hypermile adventure.