Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my car for 3 months as of today... Haven't posted here yet -- but here are my lifetime #'s for each of the 3 months (using calendar month -- so the first month is 4 days short)... Feel free to add the latest to the dataset...

Wh Miles State Battery Wheels N LastUpdate
ZBB 312 1592 AZ 60 19 1 6/30/2013
ZBB 308 2663 AZ 60 19 1 7/31/2013
ZBB 306 3676 AZ 60 19 1 8/31/2013

Comments:
I got 312 Wh/m in June, but then 302 in July and 300 in Aug. June was higher due to a combination of hot temps (hottest in June was 119...), and getting used to driving it -- learning when to lift off the throttle to maximize one-pedal driving for example.

I have a ~60 mile round-trip commute, about 1/2 freeway mostly at 65MPH limit and 1/2 streets with 45-50MPH limits. Essentially all downhill on the way to work -- with a gradual ~1250 foot elevation drop. Its not uncommon to see ~180-190 Wh/m on the ~28 miles to the office. Between uphill and cooling the car in Phoenix summers (the interior temp can be 105 at the end of the day -- and I'm parked in a garage), I've been seeing 350-400 Wh/m on the way home. I've experimented driving at the speed limit, 5 over and 10 over during the commute. 5 over will average just under 300 Wh/m over the whole commute.

Using several more hypermiling techniques, i can now crack 260 Wh/mi / 129MPGe daily driving (mixed hwy and slower traffic)

2013-09-04 19_52_59-Tesla Model S Energy Log.jpg

ill need to come up with more techniques or start driving illegally to break the 135MPGe mark

Here are my data before and after a midsize road trip this past week.
IMG_0486.JPG

Sorry for the quality of the shaky image, but the numbers are

2416.1 total miles, 723.3 kWh and 299.4 (calculated) Wh/mi. I did a range charge to 270 rated miles just before leaving. Regen was on low, and I used cruise control whenever I could.

After the trip from Cheney, WA to Centralia, WA the new information is given below:
IMG_0507.JPG

The last charge was made at the Wild Horse Wind Farm. Also note that the 54 miles of rated range was after having left unplugged overnight. It was 60 miles upon arrival at home.

I tried to maintain about 60 mph, but had to go with traffic after getting onto I-5. On the way home, I got impatient after almost getting run off the road by a truck and upped to 67 mph.
I might mention that Cheney has an elevation of about 2500 ft, Vantage about 600 ft, the Wild Horse Wind Farm (where I did some of my charging) was at 3500 ft, and of course, Centralia is close to sea level. I did much better traveling to Centralia than returning. The trip also included about 40 miles of driving around Olympia. I generally get better mileage to and from Spokane that I do around Cheney. Cheney is about 500 ft higher elevation than Spokane.

I should mention that I just have the standard 85kWh pack, and that drove in range mode. That's not relevant actually, as I don't really overuse the AC and never accelerate with more than 160kW.

Last edited:
So I've been extremely jealous of all these sub-300 Wh/mi averages I've been seeing when mine has stubbornly hovered around 350 since I got the car a little over a month ago. In fact, I've been wondering if there's something wrong with my car to inflate the energy usage so.

So I decided to go out on a short test drive tonight to see how efficient I could be. I picked out a ~20 mile highway loop, turned on range mode, turned off A/C altogether, and then proceeded to drive like my dead grandmother: easy on the go pedal and never going above the speed limit (55 mph).

The results:
249whmi.png

Turns out it's not the car at all...it's the guy behind the wheel. Oh, and hills...here in Cincinnati, we have boatloads of hills, and I noticed quite a dramatic effect on the average as I was going up some of our hills at highway speeds.

So, now that I know it's possible, I have a goal to gradually reduce my average to ~320 Wh/mi. Then, when I do want to, um, proceed "at pace," I can feel like I've earned some voltaic karma. :)

I'm at 284 Wh/m at 9339.9 miles total distance traveled. I have a 60kWhr battery and 19" wheels.

Most of the miles are from my daily commute over Hwy 17, about 50miles round trip 450m of elevation gain to the summit, but not much chance to get over 60mph, and usually no need for air conditioning.

Turns out it's not the car at all...it's the guy behind the wheel.

No question. It's doable. There isn't as much technique as with the Prius. If you drive like an old man (me) you get lower numbers. Sub rated road trips are easy on the average interstate at 60-70 mph. It's definitely not magic. Rated range is easy if you aren't in a rush.

I wish there were a way to see wH/Mile based on profile. When I left on a two week trip my was doing 326 and now at 332 lifetime average. I don't know what my wife was doing, but I know she did it really fast.

Been there! Every time Dr. Sherman (aka: lead foot) uses the MS my numbers take a large jump. It's worth it because she really likes the car and is excited about her Model X. Maybe now she'll even let me get her a cellphone!:wink:

I'm at 284 Wh/m at 9339.9 miles total distance traveled. I have a 60kWhr battery and 19" wheels.

Most of the miles are from my daily commute over Hwy 17, about 50miles round trip 450m of elevation gain to the summit, but not much chance to get over 60mph, and usually no need for air conditioning.

Hah, I have the same commute with an average of 320 wh/mile. However I mostly drive out of prime commute hours, which probably leads to more opportunities for spirited uphill passing.