Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which means that your pressure is too low - the pressure is designed to be on cold​ tires.

Correct. Tires with low pressure and tires will correct pressure will eventually stabilize at approximately the same pressure (called reaching thermal equilibrium), but the tires with low pressure will get far hotter while doing so. Heat, not [high] pressure, is the enemy of tires. I don't know why so many people (including those who service tires) are afraid of putting some air in their tires.

Vampire loses aren't included in the wh/mile figures that the car provides...

is this statement correct? Reason I ask - last four days I've not been where I can charge, but my daily commute has been only 5-6 miles, all of it at 35 mph or less. My average Wh/mile over the last 15 miles is nearrly 400, where I usually average under 300 with a 25 mi/day commute that is a little faster but not at highway speeds. In N FL, so its not cold.

Other explanations besides vampire consumption is affecting the average because the number of miles driven has been so low? Anything to be concerned about? Good news is I'll be home tonight, so will see if the average Wh/mile goes down.

Continuing to lower my average. This was actually a record low wh/mile for my commute as well. It hasn't gotten cold here yet, but I imagine it will soon and wh/mile will start going up again.

Screen Shot 2013-10-18 at 3.49.42 PM.png

Last edited:
is this statement correct? Reason I ask - last four days I've not been where I can charge, but my daily commute has been only 5-6 miles, all of it at 35 mph or less. My average Wh/mile over the last 15 miles is nearrly 400, where I usually average under 300 with a 25 mi/day commute that is a little faster but not at highway speeds. In N FL, so its not cold.

Other explanations besides vampire consumption is affecting the average because the number of miles driven has been so low? Anything to be concerned about? Good news is I'll be home tonight, so will see if the average Wh/mile goes down.

I always have a spike when I start driving. I believe it is due to the initial heating/cooling of the cabin. Your average will come way down if you drive further.

10,800 miles, 313wh/mi. It was 311 but I've had to start using the heater in the last week (500 miles or so, averaging 345wh/mi now )
This is why the numbers were "so high" on the first deliveries in 2012 -- the vehicles arrived into cold(er) weather driving conditions. I think uniformly the consumption rates have gone down as the weather turned nicer, and I expect the rates to rise again in similar fashion as we progress into October+.

In part because of this, I've started "testing my comfort levels" with leaving the climate control off and the seat heater on 1 and "dressing accordingly". Both to see how I like it (or don't) and to evaluate the impact on efficiency compared to what I remember from last year.

As someone who's recently been running 19s (but have most of my miles on 21s), how should this be reflected in the data? I'm hesitant to post my numbers because the data isn't "pure 21" data anymore. (Even though the numbers haven't moved much.)

I'm around 11k miles since December of 2012. I was averaging in the 340s in winter and 310s in summer. Lifetime average is 330 or so. Also, I'm giving far fewer test drives where the pedal is slammed to the floor and the body stuck to the seat, so that helps.

Interestingly, I've noticed my rated range with my daily charge unchanged as gone up from 222 to 227 for the last few weeks. I'm still on 4.5, so I can't see why this would suddenly happen, but I'm not complaining.

Also, for longer drives (lots of highway) I'm consistently keeping it to under 290 wH/m (trips over 100 miles) despite driving in the 70's.

As someone who's recently been running 19s (but have most of my miles on 21s), how should this be reflected in the data? I'm hesitant to post my numbers because the data isn't "pure 21" data anymore. (Even though the numbers haven't moved much.)

In your case a lifetime number wouldn't be as interesting as a lifetime-on-21's vs a lifetime-on-19's. You are in a unique position to demonstrate the difference (if any, but that you mention it I guess there is a difference) between the tires.

I said it last spring and I'll say it again this fall now that the temps are dropping: Wow! Does temperature ever make a difference!!

Temps have been in the high 30's to low 50's for the past couple of weeks, and my monthly Wh/mi numbers are now above my lifetime number. This was the other way around all summer as I saw my lifetime number slowly drop. Lifetime is on it's way back up now.

I do a very predictable commute of about 85 miles and may throw a few extra at that each day for lunch, errands etc. totaling near 100 miles each day. In the summer I would always come below, but very near to 300 Wh/mi at the end of the day. Now I'm hard pressed to come in at 350 and expect it will get worse as winter sets in.

BTW, I have been pre-conditioning the car on shore power each morning, but have no opportunity to do that during the day.

- - - Updated - - -

In part because of this, I've started "testing my comfort levels" with leaving the climate control off and the seat heater on 1 and "dressing accordingly". Both to see how I like it (or don't) and to evaluate the impact on efficiency compared to what I remember from last year.

I'd be interested in your results. My sense is that the battery heater is the big culprit and that cabin heating is of lesser consequence. I assume the pack heater does it's thing regardless of where you set the cabin temp.

My sense is that the battery heater is the big culprit and that cabin heating is of lesser consequence. I assume the pack heater does it's thing regardless of where you set the cabin temp.
That's my thinking too. CC definitely does have impact -- turning it off bought me some range last year in tight spots -- but I suspect the battery heating is a more dominant factor.