Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After about 85k I was a rock steady 292 w/m; however since then it's shot up to 313 and climbing... Tesla claims that nothing is wrong.
Where do you live? Temperature does make a difference and the efficiency is lower during winter generally speaking, if all other factors such as driving habits and places you drive to remain the same.

I am willing to bet that’s the issue, as the difference is not all that significant (~5%).

Anybody notice a difference when getting new tires? It seems like the first few thousand miles might have a higher rolling resistance.
The last 5000 mi of my old set of tires I was getting very good efficiency compared to my lifetime average. I wasn't sure if it was the tires or the new motor though. But upon getting new tires, the efficiency has gotten worse, back to around my lifetime average. I'm going to track it every 5000 miles of owning these tires and see.

Reactions: aerodyne
Anybody notice a difference when getting new tires? It seems like the first few thousand miles might have a higher rolling resistance.
The last 5000 mi of my old set of tires I was getting very good efficiency compared to my lifetime average. I wasn't sure if it was the tires or the new motor though. But upon getting new tires, the efficiency has gotten worse, back to around my lifetime average. I'm going to track it every 5000 miles of owning these tires and see.

Def you will see higher rolling resistance on new tires.

But you can "track" that off quicker if so inclined.

New tires also have a larger diameter than worn tires. The number of revolutions per mile goes down which raises the reported Wh/Mi.

I worked on a county bus system that had been put in before GPS became available outside the military. When I was working on it GPS had just become available, but they were stuck with the old system. With the system there were transponders all over the county and any time a bus got near a transponder it would report it's number, odometer reading, and some other data. A control center used this data to keep track of every bus on the streets.

When they were beta testing they found out they needed to factor in tire wear. Buses with new tires had significant differences in odometer readings than buses with tires near the end of life.

New tires also have a larger diameter than worn tires. The number of revolutions per mile goes down which raises the reported Wh/Mi.

I worked on a county bus system that had been put in before GPS became available outside the military. When I was working on it GPS had just become available, but they were stuck with the old system. With the system there were transponders all over the county and any time a bus got near a transponder it would report it's number, odometer reading, and some other data. A control center used this data to keep track of every bus on the streets.

When they were beta testing they found out they needed to factor in tire wear. Buses with new tires had significant differences in odometer readings than buses with tires near the end of life.
True, but the increased Rolling Resitance is real on new tires and has nothing to do with diameter change.

Some of the increase is from rolling resistance and some is from the larger diameter tires.
I saw a noticeable difference in consumption, but no discernable wear in 1k miles using a tire tread gauge.

I get about 10k miles per 1/32" tread wear. Negligable reduction in revs per mile.

The parting compound used in manufacturing the tires is responsible. When I had two new tires shaved, saw no difference.

I've never heard of this before. Why would one remove some rubber off of a new tire, what business does this?

Very few, I had tire rack do mine as part of a tire order.

If you blow out a tire on one side, and the replacement is new, there may be a significant mismatch in rolling radius.

You could replace both, or shave the new one down to within 2/32" of the other one.

This is recommended if there is a differential involved. If you have RWD, and this happened on the front, no need.

Tire Rack is awesome. Customer since the Netscape days of last century.

I thought Teslas constantly or at least frequently re-calibrated wheel rotations against GPS speed.... to adapt to changing diameters? Could have sworn I read that somewhere.

Feb 2022 MSLR - 22 month
15,000 miles
Perelli 19" PZero tires
Lifetime 229 Wh/mi
3.3% battery degredstion as reported by Tessie

50/50 city/highway miles in SoCal
Three super charger sessions
Chill mode fir all but the 1st couple of weeks
Drive very conservatively
New year, and a new trip set on the '22 MS

Trying to get below 230. It's hard. Solo on country roads yesterday at 55 and all I got was like 226.

Suburban short trips are higher, 250 plus.

Climate off, PZero tires, charged before travel, pack temps above 75F.

Reactions: zoomer0056