Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive mostly highway miles on 80-90 mile round trip each weekday. Lifetime average is 280wh/mi. but for some unexplained reason I've been averaging 264wh/mi lately. In the past my averages have not strayed too far from 279-280.

mileage.JPG

I drive mostly highway miles on 80-90 mile round trip each weekday. Lifetime average is 280wh/mi. but for some unexplained reason I've been averaging 264wh/mi lately. In the past my averages have not strayed too far from 279-280.

View attachment 72283

Perhaps your tires are wearing so far that the rolling resistance is dropping quickly... when did you change your tires last? :)

View attachment 72283

Perhaps your tires are wearing so far that the rolling resistance is dropping quickly... when did you change your tires last? :)

FWIW, I was seeing nearly the exact same efficiency stats, and also at ~31.5k miles, with a big drop this month. Had the car in for a tire rotation 10 days ago -- and the tread measurements were low. I replaced the tires this week (tire rack has the stock 19" Goodyears at $100 off; even paying for shipping and a local shop install made them $300 less than Tesla's price...). I've only had a couple days commute on the new ones, but am seeing a 20-30 Wh/mi increase on the new tires.

So you likely need new tires soon...

The subzero temperatures are causing brutally high numbers which are bringing my wh/mile average way up. (I'm not seeing the >1000 numbers I saw on the Michigan trip with the gunked-up wheel wells, though!) I will probably post another lifetime average in the spring...

Here's the first report on my lifetime average in the P85D, after 5245 miles: 1720 kWh, 327 Wh/mi.

Many of those miles came on two road trips, both with snow and cold temps for part of the route. Perhaps half came under firmware .139, which was the first release to fully implement torque sleep on the second motor. All the miles so far (but for the first 100 or so) have been driven on 19" wheels with Hakka R2 snow tires.

The photo below is from a few days ago, when I had a nail in the front right tire...

20150225-IMG_5303.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the first report on my lifetime average in the P85D, after 5245 miles: 1720 kWh, 327 Wh/mi.

Many of those miles came on two road trips, both with snow and cold temps for part of the route. Perhaps half came under firmware .139, which was the first release to fully implement torque sleep on the second motor. All the miles so far (but for the first 100 or so) have been driven on 19" wheels with Hakka R2 snow tires.

The photo below is from a few days ago, when I had a nail in the front right tire...

View attachment 73780

Whoa! I just had a low tire but it didn't tell me which one!!!

Happy March! I am more than ready for some nice Spring weather and my all-season tires. Feb 2015 may have been my worst month yet for Wh/mi.
View attachment 73755

You think your February was bad, my solar panels have been covered in snow since the late January blizzard.
This is the first time they haven't cleared after a day or two. My daughter claims we had a MEGA avalanche yesterday
but when I got home today the pack hadn't changed significantly...(snowing now too)

So, not only have we had extreme cold but I haven't been able to power my car with the sun.