Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since you are in SoCal, I am sure you are familiar with the 105. My commute it effectively from one end to the other and back. I blend in with traffic in the carpool lane. In the morning traffic moves about 70 mph at 4:45 a.m. In the afternoon traffic moves at 35-40 at 2:45 p.m. No AC in morning. AC set to 70 in the afternoon. Car is set to chill mode to prevent the 0-60 in 3.2 sec, although I have done it occasionally in sport mode.

I have learned to drive EVs efficiently coming from a LEAF with a severely degraded battery. That is, maintain as much momentum as possible by minimizing sudden/slight changes in direction. Minimize use of brakes by anticipating slow downs/stops. Etc.
View attachment 484575

Drafting works!

How cool would it be if Tesla introduced a new firmware that included an additional lifetime trip that couldn't be reset? They could easily import existing trip data if it's named properly (would have to decide that name in advance, ie "Lifetime"). That would give us our A/B trips back (functionally) and avoid risk of reset. The other option would be to add a "lock" function option to trips (ie require password to reset) and let us apply that to our existing lifetime trip. I'd vote for the first option, personally. How do we get his suggestion in front of someone with the horsepower to make it happen??

Need a little more miles/time for my stats to be relevant but in general would say in MA with dual motor AWD average about 250 for Spring/Summer/Fall and 300 in Winter so weather and where you live is a big factor. That is on 18 with Aero's removed, stock Primacy tires.
If I or any passengers want cabin heat or AC I will not deny comfort for the sake of efficiency.

Since you are in SoCal, I am sure you are familiar with the 105. My commute it effectively from one end to the other and back. I blend in with traffic in the carpool lane. In the morning traffic moves about 70 mph at 4:45 a.m. In the afternoon traffic moves at 35-40 at 2:45 p.m. No AC in morning. AC set to 70 in the afternoon. Car is set to chill mode to prevent the 0-60 in 3.2 sec, although I have done it occasionally in sport mode.

I have learned to drive EVs efficiently coming from a LEAF with a severely degraded battery. That is, maintain as much momentum as possible by minimizing sudden/slight changes in direction. Minimize use of brakes by anticipating slow downs/stops. Etc.
View attachment 484575

Interesting, has the majority of your miles been entirely on the 105? Any roadtrips (>100 miles)? Being a former range-limited EV driver explains a lot about efficiency driving though.

How cool would it be if Tesla introduced a new firmware that included an additional lifetime trip that couldn't be reset? They could easily import existing trip data if it's named properly (would have to decide that name in advance, ie "Lifetime"). That would give us our A/B trips back (functionally) and avoid risk of reset. The other option would be to add a "lock" function option to trips (ie require password to reset) and let us apply that to our existing lifetime trip. I'd vote for the first option, personally. How do we get his suggestion in front of someone with the horsepower to make it happen??

I would love this too...I accidentally reset mine at 10,000 miles because I was a bit tired and hit the wrong one....

Wow, some of these are super low!

I'll be honest, I wont care about my wh/mi at all when I'm not on a road trip. I can charge for free at my apartment every night, so the only cost to me driving fast will be faster wheel wear. That said, on road trips I will be driving as efficiently as possible for sure.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Interesting, has the majority of your miles been entirely on the 105? Any roadtrips (>100 miles)? Being a former range-limited EV driver explains a lot about efficiency driving though.

80-85% is commuting on 105. No long roadtrips. Max was 191 mi in a single day around So Cal. For that day, started at 70% charge (223 mi range indicated) and ended with 27 mi remaining. Lost 5 mi while parked (phantom loss). Energy use was consistent with my averages.

I would love this too...I accidentally reset mine at 10,000 miles because I was a bit tired and hit the wrong one....

It is kinda nuts that we don’t have a way to track energy usage over the ownership of the car other than not resetting that Trip B or whatever. Even then I don’t know that this incorporates energy used while parked etc.

TeslaFi offers a lot of that capaiblity so I'm not going to complain too much:

upload_2019-12-4_16-21-46.png

Reactions: HyperionMark